Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AC energy consumption higher than heat pump?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gottagofast

2022 Model 3 Performance
Jan 28, 2024
USA
Weather is starting to warm up some, 80 degrees today, so I used my AC for a decent amount of time for the first time today

I had the AC set to 70 degrees, just going by this 1 time trip the energy consumption seemed a good bit higher than my heat pump when it was 35+ degrees outside

Is this correct? Any research showing the AC uses more energy

Perhaps. The Tesla heat pump draws heat from many sources, such as the electric motors, so in a sense it is collecting a portion of the heat for “free” and then dumping it into the cabin. When the car cools there is no free “cold” air thus the heat pump must “create” it.

Perhaps. The Tesla heat pump draws heat from many sources, such as the electric motors, so in a sense it is collecting a portion of the heat for “free” and then dumping it into the cabin. When the car cools there is no free “cold” air thus the heat pump must “create” it.
Oh I didn’t realize the heat pump was used for cooling too

Reactions: Lance From Jax
The preconditioning system is capable of pulling a significant amount of power in the right conditions.

This shows a 2022 Model 3 Performance pulling 12 KW while preconditioning in Park.

IMG_3023.png

Everyone always acted like the AC energy usage was so low that it wasn’t even noticeable, when I read about these cars before I bought one
With the heat pump it is low. It all just depends on what it is doing. 12 KW is max that you will see. Typically it is negligible if you are just running the A/C.

Remember preconditioning for supercharging is trying to get that battery pack above 132 degrees F. That is an incredible amount of power if you are doing it quickly.

Reactions: rpiotro