Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost (AB) or 20" induction wheels for 2023 new Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“I don’t think the torque number may be accurate.” That statement alone obviates the entire video. Horsepower has literally no relationship with 0-60 acceleration. These morons don’t understand the physics of what they think they are measuring. This video is almost meaningless, beyond the comparative acceleration runs.

Reactions: TypeX
Hello Folks,

In the market for a new MY-LR and in the process of ordering. If given a choice to spend $2K, would you spend on AB or upgrade 19" gemini wheels to 20" induction wheels.

Which option would you choose when planning to have the vehicle for long term (8-10 years).

Thanks
Having just gone through this process, I’d order the car with the stock 19 inch Gemini wheels, immediately order different covers for them, save the 2k and put it toward acceleration boost. The factory covers are awful IMO, but there are lots of aftermarket options for less than $200. I’ve also seen people powder coat or dip the rims after removing the covers and buying caps for the lugs and they look great.

Might be a little late to the game but in case anyone else stumbles upon this, hopefully it helps

Reactions: DJ DizzR and zpaul
To summarize... No argument that the incremental cost for the Performance is probably one of the best values for performance in any car you can buy.

But there are people who think that the 21" wheels, staggered tires, lowered suspension, and harder suspension are negatives they would not want.

Therefore, for those people, the MYLR+AB and either 19" or 20" wheels is a far more desirable choice than an MYP.
I agree 100 percent. Alternatively, I think the updated suspension for 2023 on the MY is promising, and if you combine that with some aftermarket 19-20 inch wheels/tires, that might solve the firm suspension issue and deliver on all counts.

That’s my plan. I’m going to assess the 21s on the MYP, and I’ll either switch to a winter tire set (Pirelli makes one for those wheels now) in Nov if the ride doesn’t bother me, or I’ll order some wheels/winter tires in a smaller diameter from TSportLine or something if the firm ride is just insufferable.

For me I just couldn’t compromise on the speed/performance. After driving the MYP, the MYLR just felt a little floaty for my liking. So, if the ride is too firm, I hope to sort it out with smaller diameter wheels. But I drove a 2023 MYP twice for several hours and I don’t remember being particularly annoyed by the suspension. Yes, it’s jarring on choppy roads. Yes, it can feel jarring pulling in and out of driveways and going over train tracks. But I enjoyed the acceleration, the control during turns, etc. Ultimately, that trumped the 15 miles of range I lost by getting a MYP instead of an MYLR with 20” wheels.

Reactions: DJ DizzR
I lasted 2 days before I bought AB. Mostly because for the first couple days I didn't even know it was an option. I ended up playing with the app and saw it.

No way you'll knock 0.5sec off your 0-60 (and maintain a warranty) for $2k on any other car. It's a steal!
I‘see you have both, LR with AB and Performance. Can you desceibe the difference in performace and living with both cars?

MYP is a mild racing vehicle behind rhe insane sport acceleration
Track Mode is amazing it alters the stability and traction control systems to improve cornering ability, as well as make the driving experience feel more raw and unfiltered

Track Mode is designed for use on closed circuit driving courses only. It is the driver's responsibility to drive safely and ensure others are not endangered. Track Mode is designed for use by experienced track drivers familiar with the course. Do not use on public roads

Reactions: michaelcaz
I‘see you have both, LR with AB and Performance. Can you desceibe the difference in performace and living with both cars?
I realize I’m not the one you replied to, but I do have experience driving both.

The LR is a wonderful car. It’s fast, it’s fun, esp with AB, it has plenty of space for stuff and never ending legroom. The ride is a bit more cushy than the MYP. It floats and if you drive aggressively, around turns it feels like a floaty car, not a tight, responsive one… the only thing I can compare it to is a Lexus. And after driving some more performance oriented cars, that feels a little too “floaty” to me.

The thing is, I think the LR felt “floaty” only bc I went and drove the damn MYP. Had I not gone and driven the Performance, I’d have been happy as a clam in the LR.

In my mind, if you’re accustomed to driving performance series cars, you won’t find the firm ride in the 2023 MYP to be much (if any) more firm than other performance cars. I own an Audi SQ5 and a BMW X3 M40i, and the MYP has a firm ride similar to when I sit in the passenger seat of the M40i (I notice the firmness more when I’m not driving than when I am).

I’d also add that the whole reason I went to drive the MYP a couple of times is because I read so many damned reviews complaining about the suspension and I had to see for myself if it would bother me or not.

So when I drove the MYP, I was probably hyper focused on the feel of the drive.

In summary, after driving the P, the LR felt too blah, and I just couldn’t resist getting the P.

Also, I just priced this today… the LR plus 20” wheels (2k) plus AB (2k) is $54,490.

The MYP is $54,490, and you don’t have to add wheels or AB.

To me that made it a no brainer.

Reactions: Art84 and Tslylr
The relatively small price delta makes it more advantageous to go with the P version of every Tesla. Especially since you also get track mode on all but the X. Having said that, if you value handling on the 3/Y, drop the coin and buy something like the MPP adjustable comfort coilovers. They positively transformed my 3's handling.

You can dial it in for aggressive driving or for more comfort, depending on your mood. Unfortunately, you can't do it from the cockpit but it isn't that bad once you do it and add some extensions to the front compression adjustment.

I just recently got the M3P and baby it a lot more than the MYLR I've had for years.

I bought AB for the LR within 2 days, I honestly don't know how it feels to without it.

The 3 is next level off the line. At speed its noticeably faster, but not as drastic as from a stop.

So when I drove the MYP, I was probably hyper focused on the feel of the drive.

In summary, after driving the P, the LR felt too blah, and I just couldn’t resist getting the P.

Also, I just priced this today… the LR plus 20” wheels (2k) plus AB (2k) is $54,490.

The MYP is $54,490, and you don’t have to add wheels or AB.

To me that made it a no brainer.

You can look at it the other way. Which I did. I test drove a 2023 MYP for 3 days. Liked the car alot, but the ride was poor over rough roads and the lower ride height is undesirable for me for fireroads and deep snow. Having owned daily driver's with staggered wheels/tires I won't do that again due to problems with tire rotation and tire life/cost. I also have a couple of friends that have blown out tires and wheels with the Tesla P versions (a Y and an M3) due to our big winter potholes. I could reduce the wheelsize of the MYP to capture some of the ride quality, but still can't get the ride height or suspension travel of the LR without swapping suspension parts which risks warranty coverage. Been there too. So my solution was an LR with AB. Better ride quality and usability for fireroads and snow, less chance of tire/wheel damage (no spare), most of the speed difference negated, full warranty intact.

You can look at it the other way. Which I did. I test drove a 2023 MYP for 3 days. Liked the car alot, but the ride was poor over rough roads and the lower ride height is undesirable for me for fireroads and deep snow. Having owned daily driver's with staggered wheels/tires I won't do that again due to problems with tire rotation and tire life/cost. I also have a couple of friends that have blown out tires and wheels with the Tesla P versions (a Y and an M3) due to our big winter potholes. I could reduce the wheelsize of the MYP to capture some of the ride quality, but still can't get the ride height or suspension travel of the LR without swapping suspension parts which risks warranty coverage. Been there too. So my solution was an LR with AB. Better ride quality and usability for fireroads and snow, less chance of tire/wheel damage (no spare), most of the speed difference negated, full warranty intact.
Good points all around. Sounds like you’ve got some different requirements for the driving you’ll do. I’m in the Midwest and the roads can be bad, weather nasty. I suppose there’s some risk with my choice, but I’m counting on smaller wheels/ winter tires taking care of it, and the ride height not affecting my particular daily drives. If I were driving in other areas, maybe I’d be more concerned.