Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost (AB) or 20" induction wheels for 2023 new Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Folks,

In the market for a new MY-LR and in the process of ordering. If given a choice to spend $2K, would you spend on AB or upgrade 19" gemini wheels to 20" induction wheels.

Which option would you choose when planning to have the vehicle for long term (8-10 years).

Thanks

It's really personal preference. I would choose AB because POWER (!), and because bigger wheels mean a higher risk of bending one in a pothole. I use acceleration more often than I use the difference in initial turn-in feel that bigger wheels (thinner tires) give. Oh, and bigger wheels make you lose performance (Acceleration) and range. I prefer to buy a better tire on the smaller wheels.
But that's me and the state of the roads I drive on :)

Hello Folks,

In the market for a new MY-LR and in the process of ordering. If given a choice to spend $2K, would you spend on AB or upgrade 19" gemini wheels to 20" induction wheels.

Which option would you choose when planning to have the vehicle for long term (8-10 years).

Thanks
neither
you will find that the MYLR is already very quick....it loves to squirt thru traffic openings. Further, you can always get AB later thru the Tesla App, same cost.
and IMHO the 20" wheels aren't worth the upcharge; if wanted, go aftermarket.

You can only purchase the AB upgrade after you accept delivery of your Long Range Model Y. This upgrade appears in the Tesla app after purchase, the $2,000 is directly charged to the credit card or debit card linked to your Tesla account. If you upgrade to the 20" Induction wheels the $2,000 price of the upgraded 20" wheels becomes part of your total purchase price for the Long Range Model Y and can be financed with rest of the Tesla Long Range Model Y.

The weight difference between the 19" Gemini wheel and tire with Gemini wheel covers and the 20" Induction wheel and tire combination is less than ~2 lbs; not enough to make a huge difference in unsprung weight or efficiency. The 20" Induction wheels look similar to the 21" Uberturbine wheels that are standard on the Performance Model Y. One downside of the 20" Induction wheels is that compared to the 19" Gemini wheels are are not as many choices in OE size all-season tires and winter tires; plenty of choices for 20" summer performance tires though.

If you are thinking about spending $2,000 for the 20" Induction wheels and/or purchasing the $2,000 AB upgrade you might want to consider getting the Performance Model Y for the maximum available power (~100 HP more than the Long Range Model Y even with AB), better brakes, better handling.

Reactions: DJ DizzR and PCMY
I would go with the Induction wheels, no-brainer. You can always add AB later, but it is much more difficult to upgrade from Gemini to Induction wheels.

I got mine with Gemini, because that is what I thought I wanted at the time. But, I do not like the cosmetics nearly as much as the Induction look. If I had to do it again, I would have chosen Induction. (I got Induction-looking wheel covers as a substitute.)

Reactions: PCMY
I made this choice already and went for LR on 19's + acceleration boost. At least that is my plan once I take delivery of my order. If I was interested in large black wheels I'd just go straight to the performance model and get the better brakes too.
I just added AB after 2 years with "standard" mode, which was pretty fast already. I have to say it does feel noticeably faster.

Reactions: PCMY
If you are considering AB and Upgraded Wheels. Then why is a Model Y Performance not in the mix? That would be the best bang for the buck if you want upgraded rims and performance.

This right here is exactly why I forked up $4k for the Performance. There isn't many manufacturer out there where you can get this much added stuff for a $4k factory upgrade. It's way cheaper/faster than if you did AB and wheel upgrade. Suspension, red brakes, spoiler, badge are all freebies at this point. I wasn't a huge fan of 21" looks, but once i removed the center caps and put on some lugnuts cover, they look much better.

When I got mine, I think the P was 9K? That would have kicked me out of state incentives which were 5K. So I spent 4K instead of 14K. Don't care about red calipers, the red line (you can buy that from AO) and would have spent more to not have the spoiler which I think looks silly and quite a few people have had trouble with. But of course everyone's preferences are different. I also prefer the square setup.

Reactions: iamnid
This right here is exactly why I forked up $4k for the Performance. There isn't many manufacturer out there where you can get this much added stuff for a $4k factory upgrade. It's way cheaper/faster than if you did AB and wheel upgrade. Suspension, red brakes, spoiler, badge are all freebies at this point. I wasn't a huge fan of 21" looks, but once i removed the center caps and put on some lugnuts cover, they look much better.
Its a bargain for 4k. For some, including myself, some of the "upgrades" are negatives. Notably the larger staggered wheels ride worse, are prone to damage on potholes, can't rotate tires and there are very few winter tire options. The lower ride height is also a negative for snow, drainage swells and fireroads.

Its a bargain for 4k. For some, including myself, some of the "upgrades" are negatives. Notably the larger staggered wheels ride worse, are prone to damage on potholes, can't rotate tires and there are very few winter tire options. The lower ride height is also a negative for snow, drainage swells and fireroads.
not to mention the roads in Kansas and eastern (~first 50 mi or so) Colorado. Just came back from an NJ->Denver->NJ trip to see my daughter and those roads were a bit tough. I've been thinking of switching from the 20 to 19s and this trip certainly encouraged me.

The ride quality on 19s is better than on 20s. That's a main reason why I didn't even think to upgrade to 20s. MYP before "comfort suspension" was even worse because of 21s, but people say not anymore.

To summarize... No argument that the incremental cost for the Performance is probably one of the best values for performance in any car you can buy.

But there are people who think that the 21" wheels, staggered tires, lowered suspension, and harder suspension are negatives they would not want.

Therefore, for those people, the MYLR+AB and either 19" or 20" wheels is a far more desirable choice than an MYP.

The 20" wheels all day! I just couldn't see buying a car with hubcaps at this price point. :) I know you can remove them and add a center ring, or whatever it's called. My wife who never has an opinion about our cars was adamant on getting the 20's.

I opted to upgrade the wheels after market. At the time the P was CAD$9k more, and since I knew I'd have to get winters, I use my 19" rims + winter rubber for winter and got 20" wheels and summer tire for other seasons. Sold the OEM rubber. Haven't bothered with the AB yet, but can do that at any time. Had the difference been C$7k as it is now, I may have considered it a bit more.

1688571685386.png