Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost (AB) or 20" induction wheels for 2023 new Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Lower suspension, some don't like it
2. Worse ride comfort
3. Easier to damage the 21 rims in the pot hole because of the low tire profile
4. Need to change tires more often and they are more expensive than 19s or 20s
5. Since rear tires are wider than fronts, you can't make rotation so you ll change rear tires twice often than fronts. Expect it to do every 15-20K miles at best.

ALL those reasons were why I bough LR instead of P.

I just wanted 7 seats. I rarely use them, but I like the option. You lose a tiny bit of trunk space, but you do gain 1" of legroom in the 2nd row as well as versatility.

Getting a car from 4.8 seconds to 3.5 is a world apart.
That would be true if those numbers were measuring the same thing. They aren't. The 3.5s 0-60 time of the performance model is not really 0-60, it omits rollout which exaggerates its capabilities. I say exaggerate because the car isn't at 0 mph when they start the test, its already moving. The true 0-60 time is around 3.8 to 3.9 depending on the test. The 4.8 second 0-60 measurement for the LR is measured without rollout and AB then improves that to 4.2 or 4.3 depending on test. The performance model is clearly faster than LR+AB at around 0.5 seconds in a comparable 0-60 test, but the difference isn't as much as Tesla leads you to believe at first glance. 0.5 seconds remains a substantial improvement.

I did not know that. I thought everyone was using rollout to exaggerate all numbers these days. Interesting. Now if I had only been smarter and spent the induction $2K on TSportline induction 19" clones, I'd be set.

I did not know that. I thought everyone was using rollout to exaggerate all numbers these days. Interesting. Now if I had only been smarter and spent the induction $2K on TSportline induction 19" clones, I'd be set.
Yep, excluding rollout in 0-60 and quarter mile runs has been the industry norm for a while now. About the only one not doing that is Tesla on their non-performance variants, in which they include rollout to exaggerate the difference between the standard and performance versions.

That would be true if those numbers were measuring the same thing. They aren't. The 3.5s 0-60 time of the performance model is not really 0-60, it omits rollout which exaggerates its capabilities. I say exaggerate because the car isn't at 0 mph when they start the test, its already moving. The true 0-60 time is around 3.8 to 3.9 depending on the test. The 4.8 second 0-60 measurement for the LR is measured without rollout and AB then improves that to 4.2 or 4.3 depending on test. The performance model is clearly faster than LR+AB at around 0.5 seconds in a comparable 0-60 test, but the difference isn't as much as Tesla leads you to believe at first glance. 0.5 seconds remains a substantial improvement.
Interesting, where did you read that?

Interesting, where did you read that?
A combination of places as well as instrumented test results. I researched when I needed to decide between a P and an LR+AB. The easiest place to see evidence of this different test regime is right on Tesla's website. For the Performance model it says "with rollout subtracted" and for the LR and SR it doesn't say that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230707_094829_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230707_094829_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot_20230707_094851_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20230707_094851_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 62
A combination of places as well as instrumented test results. I researched when I needed to decide between a P and an LR+AB. The easiest place to see evidence of this different test regime is right on Tesla's website. For the Performance model it says "with rollout subtracted" and for the LR and SR it doesn't say that.
Maybe I’m reading this wrong. Doesn’t that mean there is no rolling start with the P but there is with the LR?

@DayTrippin went over a lot of this awhile back. His measurements showed the MYP's benefits are off the line. once at 30mph, the MYLR with AB and the MYP are nearly identical in acceleration... up until the MYLR hits its speed limit (135?) and the MYP continues to 155mph

I'd imagine the same is true with the M3LR+AB and the M3P... I still got an M3P because I intend on tracking the car a couple times a year and wanted track mode/bigger brakes. I wish I could have gotten smaller wheels with it or the Zero-G ones, but I'm not going to throw any money into the car until it becomes the limiting factor in my driving (and not my skill... which will probably be the limiting factor for a while).

I will say theres a noticeable difference between my MYLR with AB and my M3P in acceleration, but I think thats to be expected.

Reactions: dguitarnut
Ah, so "with rollout subtracted" for the P, means they did a rolling start and so measured say from 5mph to 65mph (or whatever the rollout was)? Sneaky.
No, rolling start and rollout are totally different. All 0-60 and quarter mile runs start from a dead stop. But, the rollout is the first foot of travel before the timing gate. That part of the run is deducted from the total 0-60 time. It’s about 0.3 seconds for cars that are Tesla quick.

Reactions: Dogs_In_A_Pile
There are other options and sometimes you can catch a great savings on black Friday.

This is not for the faint of heart, Prior to any firmware update, you want to check their web site to ensure it's compatible with their product.
It's not the easiest to install but can be done with patience.

As far as the wheels go, well, there's always these post.

Last edited:
i went with 19" wheels for quiet and comfort. replaced the oem covers with aftermarket ones. you can always replace wheels later then sell the oem 19" to recoup some of the cost. no i'm not paying 2k for a software update get to 60 half sec faster.

keep in mind if you get the 20" you will take a hit on range (12mi or 3.6%). to put that into perspective, thats like already having used up the battery for 60k miles since tesla claims battery capacity loss of 12% over 200k miles.

@DayTrippin went over a lot of this awhile back. His measurements showed the MYP's benefits are off the line. once at 30mph, the MYLR with AB and the MYP are nearly identical in acceleration... up until the MYLR hits its speed limit (135?) and the MYP continues to 155mph

I'd imagine the same is true with the M3LR+AB and the M3P... I still got an M3P because I intend on tracking the car a couple times a year and wanted track mode/bigger brakes. I wish I could have gotten smaller wheels with it or the Zero-G ones, but I'm not going to throw any money into the car until it becomes the limiting factor in my driving (and not my skill... which will probably be the limiting factor for a while).

I will say theres a noticeable difference between my MYLR with AB and my M3P in acceleration, but I think thats to be expected.
Basically an MY LR w/AB is just a bit slower than a stock M3 LR. I'd say about .1 - .2 seconds to 60 slower.

Same , we pick ours up Wednesday and i was dead set on the Performance but an existing inventory LR popped up with 7 seats & pulled the trigger
FYI - the 7 seater is about .2 seconds to 60 slower than the 5 seat MY LR. So you are looking about 5.0 - 5.1 seconds on full charge. At the SoC you typically be driving at, (50-70%) the performance falls off to about 5.2 - 5.3. That isn't exactly going to put the Tesla grin on your face. I personally got so bored of its performance that I think I waited about a week before I slapped boost on it.

At least then (boosted), even at about a 40% SoC, it was far quicker than it was stock even at 100% SoC. Made it a lot more fun to drive every day.

Having put thousands of miles and my 3 LR, Y LR, S LR and S Plaid, for me the real sweet spot of daily acceleration is about mid 3's with rollout. So the Teslas (excluding X) that hit that sweet spot (or better) for me a the M3P, 3 LR (w/boost), MYP, MS LR, MS Plaid. Any of these cars at more than a 10% SoC are going to be quick enough to be enjoyable at least to 60 for me.

I don't have to worry about their charge level to have good enough performance. Even loaded they are still good to go. I will say that all 3 and Y variants I've driven definitely fall off (acceleration) at higher speeds (60-70mph+) and it becomes even more evident once the SoC falls below 60-70%. They don't take as much of a hit in the 0-60 acceleration range at a low SoC but it definitely manifests itself more at 60 mph.

So if my MY LR 7 seater was stock, and I had below a 50% SoC, it felt about as close to a turtle as a Tesla is going to be unless you go RWD. With boost it was better but still slower than I wanted and got bored with it pretty quickly. The instantaneous acceleration was there but the lack of any gut punch made it pretty boring. So got rid of it and went with the M3 LR which was significantly quicker stock and vastly more efficient. I didn't use the room as much in the Y as I originally thought and the 3 LR has been so much more fun to daily drive. Adding boost makes it as quick as an MYP to 60 and it is much quicker to accelerate at higher speeds.

I don't ever miss not having bought the M3P. It would be quicker to 60 but the benefit is pretty much gone by then. A solid 3.7 w/rollout (at almost the SoC I normally drive at -50%) for the boosted 3 LR means there are very few cars on the street that are going to beat if off the line that isn't an EV.

I realize acceleration may not be that important to others, but to me it is. It was one of the reasons I bought a Tesla in the first place. For me the MY LR 7 seat was just too slow. Tesla doesn't even list a time for it. The extra weight of the seats does it no favors in handling or acceleration and hurt its efficiency as well. For me the 7 seater would be a hard pass unless I really needed them. The lack of rear air vents is a big miss on their part. On the plus side, it is fun, and easy, to helicopter small kids into the rear seat with the hatch open rather than the hassle of sliding the middle seats forward..

Driving my 3 and Y the same, the Y used about 30-35% more energy driving the same roads and conditions. The Y gulped electrons faster than my MS LR which I typically drove faster. The Y was slightly more efficient than my Plaid usage (lot of high speed runs) has not been the same as the Y. The Plaid is rolling on fat sticky 21's as well. The MS LR and Y were on 19" aeros and the 3 on the 18" aeros.

I know there are a lot of Model Y fans here but if someone were to give me a MY tomorrow for free, I'd sell it and buy something from the competition with the money or wait for the refreshed one to come out. The 3 LR is a car I'd buy again instantly if something were to happen to it (and/or consider the refreshed Highland version). I'd do the same with the S Plaid. Well assuming they finally have a good replacement for removing USS (parking sensors). If you don't need the extra room or height of the Y, I think the 3 is the vastly better car and a lot more fun to drive.

Basically an MY LR w/AB is just a bit slower than a stock M3 LR. I'd say about .1 - .2 seconds to 60 slower.

FYI - the 7 seater is about .2 seconds to 60 slower than the 5 seat MY LR. So you are looking about 5.0 - 5.1 seconds on full charge. At the SoC you typically be driving at, (50-70%) the performance falls off to about 5.2 - 5.3. That isn't exactly going to put the Tesla grin on your face. I personally got so bored of its performance that I think I waited about a week before I slapped boost on it.

At least then (boosted), even at about a 40% SoC, it was far quicker than it was stock even at 100% SoC. Made it a lot more fun to drive every day.

Having put thousands of miles and my 3 LR, Y LR, S LR and S Plaid, for me the real sweet spot of daily acceleration is about mid 3's with rollout. So the Teslas (excluding X) that hit that sweet spot (or better) for me a the M3P, 3 LR (w/boost), MYP, MS LR, MS Plaid. Any of these cars at more than a 10% SoC are going to be quick enough to be enjoyable at least to 60 for me.

I don't have to worry about their charge level to have good enough performance. Even loaded they are still good to go. I will say that all 3 and Y variants I've driven definitely fall off (acceleration) at higher speeds (60-70mph+) and it becomes even more evident once the SoC falls below 60-70%. They don't take as much of a hit in the 0-60 acceleration range at a low SoC but it definitely manifests itself more at 60 mph.

So if my MY LR 7 seater was stock, and I had below a 50% SoC, it felt about as close to a turtle as a Tesla is going to be unless you go RWD. With boost it was better but still slower than I wanted and got bored with it pretty quickly. The instantaneous acceleration was there but the lack of any gut punch made it pretty boring. So got rid of it and went with the M3 LR which was significantly quicker stock and vastly more efficient. I didn't use the room as much in the Y as I originally thought and the 3 LR has been so much more fun to daily drive. Adding boost makes it as quick as an MYP to 60 and it is much quicker to accelerate at higher speeds.

I don't ever miss not having bought the M3P. It would be quicker to 60 but the benefit is pretty much gone by then. A solid 3.7 w/rollout (at almost the SoC I normally drive at -50%) for the boosted 3 LR means there are very few cars on the street that are going to beat if off the line that isn't an EV.

I realize acceleration may not be that important to others, but to me it is. It was one of the reasons I bought a Tesla in the first place. For me the MY LR 7 seat was just too slow. Tesla doesn't even list a time for it. The extra weight of the seats does it no favors in handling or acceleration and hurt its efficiency as well. For me the 7 seater would be a hard pass unless I really needed them. The lack of rear air vents is a big miss on their part. On the plus side, it is fun, and easy, to helicopter small kids into the rear seat with the hatch open rather than the hassle of sliding the middle seats forward..

Driving my 3 and Y the same, the Y used about 30-35% more energy driving the same roads and conditions. The Y gulped electrons faster than my MS LR which I typically drove faster. The Y was slightly more efficient than my Plaid usage (lot of high speed runs) has not been the same as the Y. The Plaid is rolling on fat sticky 21's as well. The MS LR and Y were on 19" aeros and the 3 on the 18" aeros.

I know there are a lot of Model Y fans here but if someone were to give me a MY tomorrow for free, I'd sell it and buy something from the competition with the money or wait for the refreshed one to come out. The 3 LR is a car I'd buy again instantly if something were to happen to it (and/or consider the refreshed Highland version). I'd do the same with the S Plaid. Well assuming they finally have a good replacement for removing USS (parking sensors). If you don't need the extra room or height of the Y, I think the 3 is the vastly better car and a lot more fun to drive.
Just curious if in your experience with MS Plaid , have you found any use for Track Mode? Would Track Mode be a good reason to go with a Performance Model 3 or PMY versus just purchasing AB?

If you had $10k to spend on upgrades for a LRM3 or LRMY, i.e. AB, wheels and tires, suspension, what would you do, in what order?