Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Boost and Insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Niet, nein, no. The car still 'identifies' as a LR AWD or (in some oddball cases) a Performance model already, for insurance purposes.

Then again, nowadays your premium will go up by the sheer act of thinking or writing anything about it. So AB or not, and especially fot EVs, it will keep hitting new records.

I mean if you pay for the "modification", and write the car off, I imagine you won't get your money back for AB and EAP, FSD etc. unless you told them about it in advance. That'd suck but wouldn't be the end of the world. If you're not okay with that risk, you'll probs want to tell them. You can probably play around with some online insurance comparison sites to find out if it adds more to your premium.

Reactions: tm1v2 and PianoAl
Would you tell them you have purchased high performance sport tires that can corner faster than the All season tires that come stock on the vehicle? If not, then No it's just another addition on your vehicle. No different from any other.

Reactions: PianoAl
There is absolutely zero reason to tell them. None.
Insurance goes off the cars VIN. Anything you tell them can only be held against you.
Only if they specifically ask a question on the application that applies. If you lie about it, then they can rescind the policy if it materially affects the premium. If this happens after a claim occurs, the claim gets denied for coverage.

Chances are they won't ask. If they do, shop elsewhere.

I mean if you pay for the "modification", and write the car off, I imagine you won't get your money back for AB and EAP, FSD etc. unless you told them about it in advance. That'd suck but wouldn't be the end of the world. If you're not okay with that risk, you'll probs want to tell them. You can probably play around with some online insurance comparison sites to find out if it adds more to your premium.
Depends on the wording of the policy. Add on upgrades are still a relatively new thing. Not sure any insurance company is addressing it specifically through underwriting or in the policy language. Might be a sort of grey area with some policies. But barring any language in the policy that would exclude coverage, they pay the value of the vehicle as if someone were to buy it in the local market, which includes the upgrades.