Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Acceleration Boost" option, discussion as to which models and how much quicker

AWD (Non P) - Will you buy the $2k "Acceleration Boost" to get 0-60 mph in 3.9s (from current 4.4s)?

• Yes, this is what I've been waiting for!

Votes: 65 7.9%
  • Yes, I want a full uncork to Stealth Performance but this is better than nothing

Votes: 220 26.7%
  • Yes, for other reasons

Votes: 14 1.7%
  • No, I only want a full uncork to Stealth Performance

Votes: 182 22.1%
  • No, I don't want or care to pay for any additional performance

Votes: 140 17.0%
  • No, for other reasons

Votes: 44 5.3%
  • I'm not a Non-P AWD owner, but just want to vote

Votes: 158 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Judging by @pep_dj experience... it seems it is not possible to purchase AB day of delivery or immediately thereafter, correct?

Nearest SC is about 60 miles, should I just drive it out there asap and have them update it? Taking delivery in the next few weeks.
In the US, you can buy AB as soon as you take possession of the car. I added it before I ever put the car in gear because I was impressed by the stock LR, and figured .5sec quicker 0-60 for $2k is a ridiculous bargain. It's fast without AB, but the extra grunt from a dig is awesome.

If they still sold "stealth" performance, I'd have gone that way because 20" wheels with summer tires and lower ride height are tremendous negatives for my particular use in a state that has 4 real seasons.

Hey Elon, uncork track mode for $2k in-app purchase and I'll buy it right now...

In the US, you can buy AB as soon as you take possession of the car. I added it before I ever put the car in gear because I was impressed by the stock LR, and figured .5sec quicker 0-60 for $2k is a ridiculous bargain. It's fast without AB, but the extra grunt from a dig is awesome.

If they still sold "stealth" performance, I'd have gone that way because 20" wheels with summer tires and lower ride height are tremendous negatives for my particular use in a state that has 4 real seasons.

Hey Elon, uncork track mode for $2k in-app purchase and I'll buy it right now...
At minimum they should really offer the P with a cheaper/smaller rim option as well

At minimum they should really offer the P with a cheaper/smaller rim option as well
Buy the performance model, take the wheels and tires off as soon as you get the car and sell them. If they're new and in perfect condition they'll sell pretty quickly. That will more or less pay for a 19 inch set of forged Alloys and the tire of your choice because the tires are cheaper as they are not radical aspect ratio and the 19 inch wheels are also not as expensive even forged.

Buy the performance model, take the wheels and tires off as soon as you get the car and sell them. If they're new and in perfect condition they'll sell pretty quickly. That will more or less pay for a 19 inch set of forged Alloys and the tire of your choice because the tires are cheaper as they are not radical aspect ratio and the 19 inch wheels are also not as expensive even forged.
That is true, I am sure you can sell them brand new for $3K ish. Still feel like that would be an easy option for Tesla to include but I can also understand they want it to remain exclusive for the price difference of the P

Reactions: dfwatt
That is true, I am sure you can sell them brand new for $3K ish. Still feel like that would be an easy option for Tesla to include but I can also understand they want it to remain exclusive for the price difference of the P
And if they offered it keep in mind it would be with crappy overweight cast Wheels. And you don't get to choose the brand or type of tire.

Reactions: MrSlippery
Does anyone know if the 2021 M3LR that they offer on test drives have the acceleration boost enabled at the time of test? I test drove at Washington Square mall Tesla store on 4/7/21 and was really impressed with the speed, I just can't remember if the other mode besides Chill was Sport or Standard (and my SA doesn't respond). I'm pretty sure the selection was "Sport" and the test drives are offered with AB activated, then when they sell those units as demos they remove AB but would love confirmation.

Does anyone know if the 2021 M3LR that they offer on test drives have the acceleration boost enabled at the time of test? I test drove at Washington Square mall Tesla store on 4/7/21 and was really impressed with the speed, I just can't remember if the other mode besides Chill was Sport or Standard (and my SA doesn't respond). I'm pretty sure the selection was "Sport" and the test drives are offered with AB activated, then when they sell those units as demos they remove AB but would love confirmation.
Unless it was used or a demo installed I doubt it had Acceleration Boost but I suppose its possible? I do not know enough about that process
It should say Chill / Sport if it had it otherwise should show Chill / Standard

Really feels like they should simply make the options Chill / Standard / Boost (if you purchase)

Reactions: Snowball316
Believe it.

I can wholeheartedly say I have zero regrets about applying AB before I ever put my car in drive.
Same. I picked mine up last Friday and added AB in the lot before I drove off. I knew I wanted it but also purchasing immediately made me feel mentally that it was just part of the car purchase rather than some upgrade I was spending extra money on. It rebooted right away and was active. Happy as a clam with how this car drives. I’m just amazed at the torque whether it’s from 0 or already at highway speed. My last car was a 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia which doesn’t compare at all in terms of power. My prior car was a 2016 BMW 340i xdrive which was very quick with a 0-60 around 4.6s but the M3 LR with AB is still in another league. Just love it.

Of note there was a transient software glitch right after AB was applied. I can’t remember the exact error message but it was something about an incompatible software modification and going into low power mode. They had me drive it over to the service area but when I actually put in drive the error disappeared. They checked out the logs and said it’s a known transient glitch during the AB upgrade process and it should be fine which it was.

Reactions: OUengineer
Same. I picked mine up last Friday and added AB in the lot before I drove off. I knew I wanted it but also purchasing immediately made me feel mentally that it was just part of the car purchase rather than some upgrade I was spending extra money on. It rebooted right away and was active. Happy as a clam with how this car drives. I’m just amazed at the torque whether it’s from 0 or already at highway speed. My last car was a 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia which doesn’t compare at all in terms of power. My prior car was a 2016 BMW 340i xdrive which was very quick with a 0-60 around 4.6s but the M3 LR with AB is still in another league. Just love it.

Of note there was a transient software glitch right after AB was applied. I can’t remember the exact error message but it was something about an incompatible software modification and going into low power mode. They had me drive it over to the service area but when I actually put in drive the error disappeared. They checked out the logs and said it’s a known transient glitch during the AB upgrade process and it should be fine which it was.
Finally pick up my 3 next week after a couple of years of looking for something to replace my 335i Xdrive, which has been an incredible car. I plan to buy AB the next day after delivery just so that I can make sure I am able to fully appreciate the extra acceleration it provides from stock, lol. Going to be hard not to do it same day tho!

Finally pick up my 3 next week after a couple of years of looking for something to replace my 335i Xdrive, which has been an incredible car. I plan to buy AB the next day after delivery just so that I can make sure I am able to fully appreciate the extra acceleration it provides from stock, lol. Going to be hard not to do it same day tho!

I considered doing the same thing for the same reason. Seems reasonable. I have had an e90 335i xdrive, an f30 335i xdrive, and an f30 340i xdrive msport with adaptive suspension. As noted most recently had a Giulia. Loved all of them. The Giulia was way down on power but steering/handling was superior. The M3 LR compares very well. Clearly the instant acceleration is a winner but even the driving dynamics are right up there. It’s maybe not as tossable due to its weight but steering, suspension, handling is excellent and feels extremely well planted I’m assuming due to its center of gravity. Suspension is a little firm over bumps. I have kept the steering in sport which is quite stiff. While it’s completely artificial and no car has much steering feedback anymore, it reminds me of the e90 steering stiffness. While I have only had it a week it’s been my favorite car to drive without a doubt. Wish I had longer commutes. You will love it.

Unless it was used or a demo installed I doubt it had Acceleration Boost but I suppose its possible? I do not know enough about that process
It should say Chill / Sport if it had it otherwise should show Chill / Standard

Really feels like they should simply make the options Chill / Standard / Boost (if you purchase)
I thought chill went away with AB and it just had normal and sport…