Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration Different With Upgraded Battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The larger batteries are able to provide more power so they will be faster, then the D will be faster yet with dual motors, and finally the P version with ludicrous mode, will be the fastest.

The only reason the 0-60 was the same in the latest MS 60 was it was a locked 75. Canuck is correct.
So are you saying that in the Model S the different 0-60MPH times are basically a matter of physics rather than a conscious decision on the part of Tesla?

So are you saying that in the Model S the different 0-60MPH times are basically a matter of physics rather than a conscious decision on the part of Tesla?

In many configurations, the maximum power that the car can produce is limited by what the battery can safely output. In some cases, the smaller battery pack limits how much motor power they are willing to offer.
I depends on the "C-rate" of the cell chemistry. How quickly can the cells discharge without damaging themselves too much?

In theory, Tesla could use different cell chemistry on some packs with higher power density, but lower energy density... So you could get same max power from a lower capacity pack.
But my guess, is that some configurations were the same chemistry with less cells, so therefore the motor has to be power limited to protect the pack. That could be a decision for cost / price reasons.

But my guess, is that some configurations were the same chemistry with less cells, so therefore the motor has to be power limited to protect the pack. That could be a decision for cost / price reasons.
The configurations are the same chemistry and they are not all pulling at the same C-rates as the performance version.

As far as I know the non-performance versions are not limited by the battery or cell chemistry. Likely it's about tradeoffs between acceleration, motor size, range, and the life of the battery.