Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been looking around at model s 0-60 times ,specifically the jump from the 70kwh RWD battery cars to the 75kwh RWD battery cars. The drivetrains are identical with a large rear drive unit but the 0-60 times are 1.3 seconds apart. Why is this? Are 2 more modules active in the 75kwh for more amperage output? I cant seem to find reliable information between the 2 packs and the difference of them. If a 70kw battery were to go bad and be replaced with 75kw would the LDU be able to output the full 280KW? Feel free to correct me if I made any assumptions, I want to learn.

I've been looking around at model s 0-60 times ,specifically the jump from the 70kwh RWD battery cars to the 75kwh RWD battery cars. The drivetrains are identical with a large rear drive unit but the 0-60 times are 1.3 seconds apart. Why is this? Are 2 more modules active in the 75kwh for more amperage output? I cant seem to find reliable information between the 2 packs and the difference of them. If a 70kw battery were to go bad and be replaced with 75kw would the LDU be able to output the full 280KW? Feel free to correct me if I made any assumptions, I want to learn.
There is no performance difference at all between the vast majority of RWD S70 and S75s on the road. They both have a rated 0-60 of 5.5 seconds. Only a very small handful of late 2017 S75s (~August on) have the upgraded 4.3 second 0-60 time. Tesla didn’t make very many of these before the RWD 75 was discontinued altogether in late September of that year.

The battery packs themselves are physically identical in terms of config - the 75 just has more energy dense cells.

The late 2017 performance boost was the result of a physically different drive unit and performance config code (DU01). There have been exactly zero confirmed reports of prior cars being upgraded to support the higher output.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. Do you know what exactly changed for that lower 0-60 on the rwd75's. Was it a drive unit revision? If so I'm sure tesla has replaced many of those new revision drive unit in older cars. If the battery has a high enough output ,is it just firmware limiting the DU?

Upvote 0