TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Acceleration from 0-25.

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by ZapM3, Jun 17, 2018.

1. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

Not having gotten our model 3 so i am not sure if this applies. But does it have a chill mode? If so, turn that off, as it intentionally reduces acceleration from a standstill.

2. eigenv1

eigenv1 Member

Any manufacturer would agree they don’t want the car to self-destruct within the warranty period. However, if a car comes out of the factory with a certain acceleration, then the drivetrain should be manufactured beefy enough to handle that acceleration well past the warranty period. If the design is found insufficient to provide a reliable product under such acceleration, then dialing back the exhilaration is the logical alternative. I’ve modified enough cars to know that once the power exceeds the manufacturing specs significantly, things do break. Usually the things that break are expensive to replace, so the plan is to replace those parts before the break.

3. forkee

forkee Member

Screenshot_20180726-150534_dragy.jpg

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  4. 12Pack

12Pack ..

So even the dual motor version of the P3D has a 1/2 second lag before full acceleration - that seems similar to non-P S models - as does the 0-30 time? Or were you not getting on the pedal all in?

5. Krash

Krash Data Technician

#45 Krash, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    I agree with the differentiation. But my experience in driving both, as well as the data collected from over a hundred runlogs doesn't show a difference between roll and no roll and does show a difference between P and non-P in terms of fixed torque and acceleration, P being higher.

This data does support the "building torque" theory. But the data itself is not completely consistent. The dyno has nearly linear power increase from 10mph which should mean constant acceleration from 10, not from 30. Also this data contradicts the car's own API reported data from the same period which is that the car has a fixed torque, constant acceleration period before reaching a max power limit that slowly declines.

I don't have samples from after 18.3, but the limits before were torque limits. If the car had a power limit it isn't obvious since the motor design, voltage and current reach their limit before such a limit. The power limit is obvious in the S\X cars because there is this flat, fixed power range that only starts to decline at really high speeds. The inverter continually varies the current to reach the fixed torque at increasing speeds.

Thanks for the quote. Not sure what someone disagrees with there. To clarify, on the 3 it appears that on the RWD 3 the motor limits are reached before any power limit happens. Also, there is some chance that the the inverter switching from variable frequency to fixed frequency may contribute to the power decline where we thought it was mostly field weakening (back EMF)
    It does have a chill mode which on other models simply reduces the fixed torque setting, which in turn reduces the power acceleration.

This got Tesla into trouble when they dialed back the P90DL. If Tesla did dial the car back for reliability, for positioning purposes or for any other reason, I think the community have a responsibility to make those changes transparent.

The API and CANBus have always reported linear initial acceleration (fixed torque) for all roadster, S, X and the initial 3 RWD.

6. PhaseWhite

PhaseWhite Member

I'm no expert on the impact of slope on a 0-60 time but taking a linear approach if we reduce the time by the same 6.91% we arrive right at the expected 0-60 time:

3.8s * .93 = 3.53s

Anyone with a better grasp of the physics care to chime in? :)

7. Sonic86

Sonic86 Member

Is this the standard AWD or AWD-P?

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Performance from what it says at the top of the screen shot.

9. Krash

Krash Data Technician

P3D but not P3DA (add on)

10. 12Pack

12Pack ..

Appreciate that, @Krash. But that orange “accelearion” does show that delayed ramping acceleration that I remember from my old non-P Model S.

• Like x 1