Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration now better at low SoC? [2019 model 3P]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dangerous Fish

Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2016
UK
A couple of nights ago I was coming back home from a 1 hour trip and my 2019 M3P seemed much more responsive when I got to under 20%.
So just before home I stopped and timed a 0-60mph run and it was just under 4.1 secs (no rollout). I was on 12% SoC at that point!
This seems much, much better than I've had before at such a low %.
I'm on 2021.4.15
Anyone else notice this?

Looking at ScanMyTesla, the biggest factor that I've seen for maximum power output of the battery is temperature. It's more important than SOC in limiting the power you have access to. It's possible that the recent "cold weather improvements" as marked in the release notes of the last few releases have made things better. I know the regen has been adjusted to be full at a lower temp than before, and I believe max charging also goes up quicker in low temps so most probably max output as well. You had driven for an hour, which also helps raise battery temperature.
SOC affects the max kWh output... if you look at various dyno charts you'll see that you don't hit the maximum power draw on the motors until you reach a certain speed. Like, for most SOCs you still have full power until 60-65km/h and it affects you past that. In a 0-60mph run you spend a good portion of your time in that speed range where you do have "full" power. Where you would feel your low SOC affect your power the most is of you're already driving 60mph and stomp it.

EDIT: See

A couple of nights ago I was coming back home from a 1 hour trip and my 2019 M3P seemed much more responsive when I got to under 20%.
So just before home I stopped and timed a 0-60mph run and it was just under 4.1 secs (no rollout). I was on 12% SoC at that point!
This seems much, much better than I've had before at such a low %.
I'm on 2021.4.15
Anyone else notice this?

(moderator note: OP I amended the thread title because most of the complaint about acceleration at low states of charge is coming from 2021 model 3P owners. Since that is not the car you have, or are asking about, I thought it was VERY important to point that out "up front" before people with 2021s start chiming in on something that is not relevant to them.... (they have heat pumps, you dont))

Reactions: GtiMart
Yes, good point about the title.

I've done the same trip quite a few times and always end up near home with less than 20%. I take the point about temperature and without having more data I realise it's impossible to draw conclusions at this stage, but I do know how my car feels below 15% off the line and the other night was different enough that I felt the need to measure it.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Idk, my '19 3P seems to run out of juice as soon as I hit like 20-30mph with SOC<15%. I doubt it's even under 6 seconds to 60.
I did quite a few acceleration tests when I first got mine. Back then in 2019 on software 2019.36.2.1 once I got below about 13-14% the times really started dropping off. To get a time like 4 secs I would have needed around 30-35%. At 12% I would have been in the 5s.

Bjorn Nyland on youtube created this spreadsheet for SoC vs acceleration for a few models.

Interesting for consistency on the 2019 unit. Luckily, thats what i bought!

Screenshot_20210502-183608_Chrome.jpg