Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accelerator clunk when in ‘hold’.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dangrenade

MYLR White/White Inductions
Nov 11, 2021
Shrewsbury
Does anyone else have a pronounced clunk from the pedals when in ‘hold’ mode and coming to a stop? After searching the forum, I’m happy it’s the car braking for me but after 300 miles I’ve only just noticed it and find it annoying. I’m sure it wasn’t so pronounced until now.

Have put the regen into roll now as it was getting on my twits.

Does anyone else have a pronounced clunk from the pedals when in ‘hold’ mode and coming to a stop? After searching the forum, I’m happy it’s the car braking for me but after 300 miles I’ve only just noticed it and find it annoying. I’m sure it wasn’t so pronounced until now.

Have put the regen into roll now as it was getting on my twits.

The stopping modes are not changing actual regen levels. Stopping modes change how the brakes behave.

In HOLD mode, the electric power brake booster applies the brake pedal to hold you in place - this can sometimes result in a clunk sound.

In ROLL mode (my preferred mode), you have to apply the brakes yourself when regen fades out below 5 MPH.

I‘ve had this when coming to stop in a queue of traffic in AP or TACC.
the car was stopping too far from the car in front and didn’t like me moving closer
I haven’t been in in that situation in a long while so not sure if it still does it under latest software 2022.8.2

The stopping modes are not changing actual regen levels. Stopping modes change how the brakes behave.

In HOLD mode, the electric power brake booster applies the brake pedal to hold you in place - this can sometimes result in a clunk sound.

In ROLL mode (my preferred mode), you have to apply the brakes yourself when regen fades out below 5 MPH.
Thanks for your reply Earl and now happy it’s normal. I just hadn’t felt/heard it before and was a touch concerned. As it happens, it made me use the ‘roll’ stopping mode and think I prefer it so every cloud. 👍🏻

Reactions: Big Earl

Yes, but only when the car has come to a stop. Its a very reassuring noise that unconsciously tells me that the car has applied the brakes.

Under very rare conditions I have had the car try and apply the brakes in a moving queue, but only when on TACC and it thinks its going to hit something. I put that down to work in progress... and was hoping that a the recent regen changes in autopilot may have fixed.

Reactions: dangrenade

Thank you @Big Earl !! I used our one week old MYLR to pull my 3,500# boat/trailer down to a nearby lake. I personally like HOLD mode and I've heard the slight noise when it goes into hold and goes out of hold. I didn't know if the mechanism was electric brakes or a ping/cog like they use in automatic transmissions (which is a problem when you are on a slope). I found that backing down a launch ramp was very controlled/easy in Hold; the car regenned all the way down the ramp. What I didn't know is that when I stop going down the ramp, it automatically goes into HOLD, so brakes are applied and I don't have to keep my foot on the brake. With my ICE tow vehicles, I would keep my left foot on the brake while I pressed the accelerator a little as I released the brake so the car/trailer wouldn't roll backwards down the ramp / into the water. Not knowing about how the HOLD function worked in the MY, I tried to use both feet, but Tesla's yell at you if you use both feet (at least in HOLD mode). The car/trailer actually rolled back a little because although I had pressed the accelerator and then took my foot off the brake (when it yelled at me), it took a second or so before the car confirmed I was off the brake and it could go forward. It isn't in HOLD if you are pressing both the brake and accelerator, so the car/trailer started rolling briefly backwards into the water. Freaked me out.

Now I know that I can back down the ramp in R using regen and it will go into HOLD (apply electric brakes) when I stop for the boat to be powered off the trailer. When I am ready to go up the ramp (with or without the boat), I just put it in D while my foot is on the brake pedal, wait the half-second for it to go into HOLD, and lift my foot off the brake and to the accelerator and smoothly accelerate out of the water / up the ramp.

Very cool!

I’m experiencing a notable clunk that I can hear and also feel quite pronounced when my foot is on the pedal. It seems to happen more when slowing down or moving away. I don’t think it’s braking. It’s driving me nuts and I’ve had my car a year and have only noticed this in the last few weeks. Surely it’s not normal?

I have the same clicking/clunking noise coming from the pedal just as auto hold engages. I’ve only had my MYP for a week and did not notice this initially. Today, I thought I starting feeling the same clicking/clunking when pressing the gas pedal as well.

Auto hold is a combination of two systems. To bring the car to a stop the brake pedal is used to mechanically operate the brakes, and then once stationary the brake pressure is maintained via the ABS hydraulic unit and the brake pedal is released. This is the clicking and clunking that you hear.

The brake pedal actuator is a fascinating design which allows the car to make braking inputs that can be overridden by the driver.

Auto hold is a combination of two systems. To bring the car to a stop the brake pedal is used to mechanically operate the brakes, and then once stationary the brake pressure is maintained via the ABS hydraulic unit and the brake pedal is released. This is the clicking and clunking that you hear.

The brake pedal actuator is a fascinating design which allows the car to make braking inputs that can be overridden by the driver.
Makes sense but feels odd. I kind of wish creep and roll had the auto hold option.

Makes sense but feels odd. I kind of wish creep and roll had the auto hold option.
How would that even work? How would the car know whether you want to creep or stop if you aren’t applying either pedal? Similarly, how would the car know if you want to roll or stop if you aren’t applying either pedal? Roll is my preferred stopping mode - seems to be the smoothest and most intuitive, having come from manual transmissions. Roll will automatically hold the brakes once you come to a stop with the brake pedal.

How would that even work? How would the car know whether you want to creep or stop if you aren’t applying either pedal? Similarly, how would the car know if you want to roll or stop if you aren’t applying either pedal? Roll is my preferred stopping mode - seems to be the smoothest and most intuitive, having come from manual transmissions. Roll will automatically hold the brakes once you come to a stop with the brake pedal.
I guess apply auto hold just like my past BMW, when you come to a complete stop engage auto hold. I’m thinking it should not matter if your in roll or creep mode, apply it when you come to a full stop.

I guess apply auto hold just like my past BMW, when you come to a complete stop engage auto hold. I’m thinking it should not matter if your in roll or creep mode, apply it when you come to a full stop.
Creep and roll will both apply brake hold when you come to a complete stop using the brake pedal, although creep requires an extra little squeeze of the brake pedal to set brake hold. Creep won’t come to a complete stop unless you press the brake pedal. Roll also won’t come to a complete stop unless you press the brake or happen to coast to a stop on a perfectly level bit of road.

Reactions: jerome8283
Creep and roll will both apply brake hold when you come to a complete stop using the brake pedal, although creep requires an extra little squeeze of the brake pedal to set brake hold. Creep won’t come to a complete stop unless you press the brake pedal. Roll also won’t come to a complete stop unless you press the brake or happen to coast to a stop on a perfectly level bit of road.
Oh ok. I had not tried either and assumed auto hold only worked with the regen option, very good to know. Thanks