Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Accessories) Is the seat weight sensor wiring harness easy to access?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. This is a long shot but I figured I'd see if anyone knows.

I am not a Tesla owner but rather an electrical engineer who makes automotive accessories. I'm amidst trying to solve a problem for my client, a breathalyzer interlock company, who cannot successfully install their device into Teslas (warranties be damned) because the thing doesn't know when the driver has stopped driving.

So, Teslas are obviously unique in their "ignition" system. Normally, if the key or button is off, the car is off. Teslas however operate on magic, so there is no such button or key.

So what the device needs is to know is when the user is no longer driving. For this, I decided on the seat weight sensor. If they're not in the seat, they're not driving. (hopefully. 😄)

My question to anyone who does any poking around in their car's wiring is this: Can you see the weight sensor wire underneath the seat? and bonus question, what voltage does it show when it has weight on it and not?

I have not ever been on this forum so thanks for your time and sorry if I've broken any convention here.