Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accessory Hitch vs Towing Package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Covered many times, the accessory hitch option was the same as the "Tow Package"... except the "trailer mode" software isn't enabled, so towing isn't officially supported. The original 1-1/4" accessory hitch receiver was cancelled and never went into production; the manual still mistakenly references it, though.

• Informative
Reactions: matblk and beths11
The bumper is extra reinforced for the Towing Package, but maybe not on the Accessory Hitch. There was a post with an actual warning from Bosal and accessory hitch saying not to exceed a weight which I remeber could be easily reached with rack plus 4 bikes. I would need to dig to find the post. It is what convinced me to wait for a tow package inventory X instead of settling for one with a the Accessory Hitch.

Covered many times, the accessory hitch option was the same as the "Tow Package"... except the "trailer mode" software isn't enabled, so towing isn't officially supported. The original 1-1/4" accessory hitch receiver was cancelled and never went into production; the manual still mistakenly references it, though.
This. Except the original Accessory Hitch was supposed to be a 1 1/2" receiver.
The bumper is extra reinforced for the Towing Package, but maybe not on the Accessory Hitch. There was a post with an actual warning from Bosal and accessory hitch saying not to exceed a weight which I remeber could be easily reached with rack plus 4 bikes. I would need to dig to find the post. It is what convinced me to wait for a tow package inventory X instead of settling for one with a the Accessory Hitch.
No one has been able to prove the Tow Package got extra reinforcement other than the word of sales staff in stores and service advisors. As @grommet points out...
The weight limit is listed on the Bosal hitch receiver, and it's exactly the same if you have the Tow Package or the Accessory Hitch option.

Cheers!

Yes, but I believe your stats are for the Towing Package, not the Accessory Hitch. Two different options.
But the Accessory Hitch was never delivered. So I think the numbers are consistent across the line. The only thing (as far as we can tell) that the Accessory Hitch option omits is the towing software. Hardware appears the same, so I think the tongue weight numbers can be relatively safely assumed to be the same.

As a side note - has anyone with the "Accessory Hitch" version pushed Tesla about the software? I have the Towing Package, but I personally think they should enable it for the relatively few accessory hitch deliveries that are out there. It seems ridiculous to leave you guys in this limbo-land.

The accessory hitch was never delivered?! Sorry, please fill me in because I must not know the whole story.

BTW, this forum is great for sharing info.
Everyone who ordered the Accessory Hitch received the very same Bosal removable receiver shown in the picture I linked above which is the exact same Bosal removable receiver that everyone who ordered the Tow Package also received. Some even have the Tow Mode in their software. Most do not though.

The only thing they haven't received is confirmation from Tesla that they are the same hardware minus the software.

Reactions: bushburner
As a side note - has anyone with the "Accessory Hitch" version pushed Tesla about the software? I have the Towing Package, but I personally think they should enable it for the relatively few accessory hitch deliveries that are out there. It seems ridiculous to leave you guys in this limbo-land.
How do I do the test?

FWIW: When I got my car (late March) the delivery tech told me it was the same as the towing package but I was limited to 3500 lbs. Not sure why

How do I do the test?

FWIW: When I got my car (late March) the delivery tech told me it was the same as the towing package but I was limited to 3500 lbs. Not sure why
You mean to test if you have the towing software? Somewhere in the settings hierarchy there's a Tow Mode toggle. It enables automatically if it senses a load as well, but the easiest way to check is in the settings. Sorry I can't walk you down, but the X is at the Service Center. :(

Below I linked the post where a TMC member quoted his correspondence with Bosal in which Bosal states it will only support 120 pounds bike hitch and bikes combined, but it also states that beyond that the weight depends on the frame of the car.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1711311/

Add to that photos from the linked post below that show a bar that might very well be the reinforcement that Tesla Tow Package is said to have, and you could make a case that the tow package could carry more than the 120 pounds than what Bosal claims.
Accessory tow hitch part #

I checked my Model X and it has the same bar. If someone without the tow package could locate the same bar in the bumper, then I am willing to go with what everyone else is saying about it only being a software difference. However, despite all that info I would bet that the "accessory hitch" with the same tow hardware could handle a bike hitch and 4 bikes and Bosal is just trying to cover their butts in this litigious country.

Below I linked the post where a TMC member quoted his correspondence with Bosal in which Bosal states it will only support 120 pounds bike hitch and bikes combined, but it also states that beyond that the weight depends on the frame of the car.
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1711311/

Add to that photos from the linked post below that show a bar that might very well be the reinforcement that Tesla Tow Package is said to have, and you could make a case that the tow package could carry more than the 120 pounds than what Bosal claims.
Accessory tow hitch part #

I checked my Model X and it has the same bar. If someone without the tow package could locate the same bar in the bumper, then I am willing to go with what everyone else is saying about it only being a software difference. However, despite all that info I would bet that the "accessory hitch" with the same tow hardware could handle a bike hitch and 4 bikes and Bosal is just trying to cover their butts in this litigious country.

Wow. Really appreciate the help, you guys. It's really not clear, so I emailed Tesla to see if I could get a definitive answer. Of course, I would prefer just to live with the Accessory Hitch as I have no need for the software, but if it can't support the extra weight, I may need to upgrade. Not sure if I can do this now since my order is confirmed. Very odd, though, because the wording under Accessory Hitch on the order page at the time said that "it is compatible with ALL 2 inch racks". On the surface, tow package seems to be for towing, and accessory hitch was just for accessory racks, hence my choosing the latter.

rainforest, are stated multiple times... there is no difference re: the hardware. Let's stop confusing people further.

That "official recommendation" from Bosal about the weight limit applies to the Tow Package, as well as the "Accessory Hitch", because there is only one hitch receiver on any Model X. Think about it: Why would they mention Gross Trailer Weight at all?

Hate to ressurecting this thread, but Tesla did quote for my MX 2016 as having different hardware for the upgrade from Accessory Hitch to Towing Package. Quoted over $800 for the parts and labor. The label on the hitch we have says 5000lbs but I’m worried there’s some other reinforcement of the bumper or socket side. Is it safe to tow with the accessory hitch package?