Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accident - Got hit from behind

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that just isn’t how estimates work these days. I could show the OPs picture to one of our claims adjusters and they would have a very accurate estimate in minutes.

You missed the part where I said this actually happened to me 6 months ago, so don’t tell me it doesn’t work this way. I believe what I experienced, not your opinion.

Last edited:
We have Amica, the other car had Progressive.
Either way, we're letting our company figure it out. I'm just ticked it's taking this long to get word on status. We can't do anything until we get word. If it's gone, I want to order another Tesla, stat!

If your car does end up being totaled by the insurance company, in addition to fair market value you also get sales tax and possibly title/registration fees depending on your state. So, if fair market value (which is usually somewhere between wholesale and retail, hopefully closer to retail) is determined to be $45k then you might see around $48k with sales tax, etc. If you disagree with the insurance company's payout number, you can always negotiate by providing current examples of similar cars for sale from Tesla or other sources.

• Informative
Reactions: Relayer and Akikiki
My MS was hit in the passenger rear qtr, did a 180 and side slide. Pretty messed up. My insurance company estimated $6k from the photos, but it ended at around $17k. I am by Chicago, and there was one of the handful of US Tesla-owned body shops 7 miles away. I had worried about frame damage, but the body shop said Tesla’s aren’t built on a frame like standard cars. It sounds like it’s a Lego base, so I don’t think that a bent frame can be a problem for our cars.

Also took a pic of the car screen while it was hooked up to the jumpers and I was cleaning it out. I didn't scroll down. Figured I had seen enough. I hope to never see this many fatal errors again..
IMG_20200528_114036.jpg

Also took a pic of the car screen while it was hooked up to the jumpers and I was cleaning it out. I didn't scroll down. Figured I had seen enough. I hope to never see this many fatal errors again..
View attachment 546376
“Need a service appointment?” Lol

Seriously though... sorry about that! I hope you get the full value to order a new one!

Got the call. It's totaled.
We put down a payment on a Model Y. So farewell all my M3 homies!
I'll likely jump over to the MY forums and start waiting for a VIN - it's deja vu all over again!

So glad that everyone was OK, and that you're going to made as whole as possible in the whole thing. Totaling out is probably best case here.

If you don't mind, would LOVE to hear your review of the Y once it arrives! I've got one on reservation and REALLY waffling whether to trade in my 3 for it, or cancel the reservation. Very conflicted!

Reactions: Akikiki and Relayer
So glad that everyone was OK, and that you're going to made as whole as possible in the whole thing. Totaling out is probably best case here.

If you don't mind, would LOVE to hear your review of the Y once it arrives! I've got one on reservation and REALLY waffling whether to trade in my 3 for it, or cancel the reservation. Very conflicted!
Thanks, I will report back! Verrry curious how it will drive compared to my M3. We had the 19" wheels and I always kept 42+psi tire pressure, and my wife really disliked it. So we'll see how the weight, height, 20" Gemini wheels (maybe at ~38psi to keep wife happy) rides. Might seem mushy compared to what I'm used to - but I'm willing to compromise!

Reactions: Akikiki
Aw man - that stinks! Everyone OK?

Tough driving down there. 75/85 are a nightmare and then once things open up (like on 400) - it's a superspeedway.
Yeah, both the woman who hit me and I are okay.

I'm just not looking forward to getting a fossil rental during repairs, and diminished value. Would the bumper being replaced show up in the history?

Yeah, both the woman who hit me and I are okay.

I'm just not looking forward to getting a fossil rental during repairs, and diminished value. Would the bumper being replaced show up in the history?

If there was a police report, there's no way to avoid a CarFax hit.
If there was an insurance claim, there's no way to avoid a CarFax hit.

Sorry, it SUCKS, but it is what it is ...

If it's just the bumper, that might be able to be a single day repair, depending on how deep the damage goes... just removing/replacing the bumper cover is pretty quick.

If there was a police report, there's no way to avoid a CarFax hit.
If there was an insurance claim, there's no way to avoid a CarFax hit.
Neither of those statements are necessarily true. The police aren’t going to report to carfax and insurance companies typically don’t either. Body shops are the ones that are really hit or miss.

Neither of those statements are necessarily true. The police aren’t going to report to carfax and insurance companies typically don’t either. Body shops are the ones that are really hit or miss.

I got a carfax hit when I replaced a bumper. No police report, no accident yet carfax showed car had been damaged ( cost me 4K on Tesla trade in)

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

It's the other way around. The police and insurance don't report to CarFax, but CarFax has access to their databases. Maybe not every single one, but the majority of them, absolutely.

It appears that this accident was likely on I-575 outside GA. State highway, which means the GA State Police handle any accident report.

Here you go - it's a business deal:
Drivers sent to website to buy reports police could give them

Believe me, on our Buick, the deer accident was reported against the VIN before the body shop even got hold of it ... CarFax has access to the NJ State Police and State Farm databases; they knew before I did.

I just got rear ended today as well!

Howdy neighbor? I live off of the same exit.

Sorry about you getting rear ended. I backed into my own Jeep a few months ago, and Tesla Marietta Service center was very pleasant to work with. The third party body shop they used to paint the car did an awesome job and the body panel alignment was better than new. I’d highly recommend Marietta over the Alpharetta service center.

Hope you get it all fixed without too many issues.

View attachment 546376
I was rear ended this morning on my way to work by a drunk driver. I got the same page but didn't think to take a picture of it. It appeared right after he hit me and my hazards automatically came on.

On my way to work this morning when I was rear ended. I'm not sure what the difference in speed was, but I wasn't stopping or anything. I was going with the flow of traffic which was about 70 give or take. The other driver had to be going much faster to make everything in my car go flying around like it did. He was taken in for a DUI. The caution cones he hit and sparks coming out of the bottom of his car made for a dramatic scene though.