Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally charged my Tesla to 100% last night. Will it explode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
of course not, but I can’t say I’m not a little edgy. Accidentally left the zappi in fast mode, and Tesla set to 100% after our last long trip so when I plugged in around 7pm last night it just charged straight to 100%. Probably got there about midnight-1am. Got in the car to do a local errand this morning and spotted it. Its now at 96% which still isn’t great.

I’m also now off work for a week so may not need to do many miles. Should I do a trip just to get it at least below 90% if its going to sit on the drive?

of course not, but I can’t say I’m not a little edgy. Accidentally left the zappi in fast mode, and Tesla set to 100% after our last long trip so when I plugged in around 7pm last night it just charged straight to 100%. Probably got there about midnight-1am. Got in the car to do a local errand this morning and spotted it. Its now at 96% which still isn’t great.

I’m also now off work for a week so may not need to do many miles. Should I do a trip just to get it at least below 90% if its going to sit on the drive?
It’ll be fine. The car manages the battery. A 100% charge every few months is good as it allows the car to measure the full range. Just enjoy the car and stop worrying.

What was that loud boom I just heard from the Bershire direction?

I wouldn't worry, occasional charging to 100% make little difference, constantly charging to 100% starts to degrade the battery. Stick the AC on while it's on your drive, it'll be down to 90% before you know it.

How new is it? If it's an older Fremont car which has (had?) separate daily and trip thresholds in the app then it's probably not great, but it's not the end of the world either. Stick Sentry on as suggested above and that'll take care of your battery problem in no time. :)

How new is it? If it's an older Fremont car which has (had?) separate daily and trip thresholds in the app then it's probably not great, but it's not the end of the world either. Stick Sentry on as suggested above and that'll take care of your battery problem in no time. :)

Even that depends, the early 2021 LR models from Fremont had a softlock on the battery to limit the capacity down to the MIC builds. So 100% is more likely 95%. So 95% gets them to a real charge of 90.

However... On the grand scheme of things, doing this once isn't going to make much of a difference.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel

Crikey you can blow 6% in as many minutes if you are somewhere you can do some spirited driving. (Several more sensible suggestions in the posts above!)

Reactions: KerryOH
Would you worry about filling a ICE car up to 100%??*

just get in it and enjoy the ride !

*yes not exactly the same ramifications but let's all stop being scared of EV's and get out there and enjoy them..

i saw a recent article from tesla that on testing , batteries that had done very 200000 miles only lost around 10% charge capacity.

Reactions: pow216
Degradation happens faster when the batter sits at the extremities. Charging to 100 may help balance a pack and a full charge and a full discharge is also helps with calibrating range miles. I'm sure the data is there on the degrading that happens sitting at 100pct but as you already noted, the vehicle is no longer at 100pct. You're fine I'm sure.

If you put your phone on charge at night, it's sitting at 100% for hours.

It's fine. You have an 8 year warranty on it.
yeah which is why phone batteries are shot in a couple of years. Since I don't need 100% of my phone battery most days I would like an option to set the charge limit on that to 80% to protect the battery. Strangely Samsung seem to have no interest in providing this. Its almost like they want the battery to fail in a couple of years.......

Reactions: brkaus
If you put your phone on charge at night, it's sitting at 100% for hours.

It's fine. You have an 8 year warranty on it.
On iPhones, iOS 13 introduced a feature called “optimised charging” which stops your phone charging past 80% and only resumes in time to charge fully closer to when it predicts you’ll start using it. Great if you have a very regular schedule, but you can find yourself caught out if you are getting up very unusually early and had forgot to turn it off.

On iPhones, iOS 13 introduced a feature called “optimised charging” which stops your phone charging past 80% and only resumes in time to charge fully closer to when it predicts you’ll start using it. Great if you have a very regular schedule, but you can find yourself caught out if you are getting up very unusually early and had forgot to turn it off.

yes generally helpful but I've been caught out before when getting up early some days. Overall a useful thing though.

Thanks for the suggestions - sentry is now on. Look forward to episode 2 "help my car is dead on the drive, I forgot to turn off sentry mode!"

Pretty sure it cancels at 20%..

I give it the 100% treatment about every 3months to balance the modules. Normally releases 10-15miles extra. If you watch on Teslamate or whatever you can see it eeking it out over about an hour. Then I pull the plug and wait for it to stop crackling and popping😜