Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Accidentally drove Model 3 through garage door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which car does this while the driver is actively pressing the accelerator? I just did a search and every manufacturer I found says that pressing the accelerator will override automatic emergency braking. But I don't pretend that I've exhausted all avenues, so maybe you can expand on the ones you're talking about.

I still maintain that the sensor technology is not yet at the point where we can rely on it over human input.

My Honda with "Hindsight" did this. Or was it insight? Can't remember.

Sometimes you can only make things idiot proof, but not "damn idiot proof". That said, I wonder about something.

When traveling below 10mph, wouldn't it be a good idea for the car to come to a complete stop if it is say 2"-3" from an obstacle, even if the driver is pressing the accelerator pedal? It could then pop up a window on the screen to allow you to override. I can see it being useful in garages and other tight parking situations where someone hits the wrong pedal by mistake or ignores beeps because we live in a world of beep pollution. Just wondering!

This is funny. It sounds like typical attempt to shift blame from oneself to something else. Instead of "OMG I drove through my garage door because I didnt notice it was not open!!!" Its "OMG how could my tesla drive through the garage door!!!"

I suspect the OP got in his/ her car, hit reverse, stepped on it, crashed into the door, and now is wondering why the tesla did not override his / her driver input. Thus the title and text:
long ago my father had a body shop. H'd said he had many a car where the person said the car took off on it's own and crashed. this is pre computer, carburetor days. He surmised people hit the gas when thery meant to hit the brtake.

So, control of the vehicle is not programmed to avoid collision under the circumstance. Car only signals driver that it is approaching an object(s).
It can be programmed to stop even under slow moving situation. And the control can be defaulted for OFF which can optionally be turned on. Ignoring warning could result in serious accident or life threatening. Problem is if it fails to warn or driver does not realize ignoring warning.

Here is how the incident happened:
I turned the car into my driveway and started regenerative braking. I realized that rate of the deceleration was not high enough so that I pressed a pedal. But unfortunately it was a wrong pedal. I do not think there was warning before and after the pedal was pressed.
So you pressed the accelerator?

Nope, the Model 3 doesn't all of the sudden make stupid people smart. Seriously, did anyone think that any of the AP functions override driver control(s) in this situation? If you did, please sell your vehicles and/or STOP using ANY of the autonomous features before you kill someone.

Then why not just write 3, it is faster and results in no confusion.

Because writing a number alone could *actually* be misleading.

“I’ve heard of the 3 problems with backing up into obstacles.”

I don’t even know why this has to be debated. Do you really care that much about someone writing “M3” ?? I mean Jesus, there are bigger things in the world to worry about.

• Disagree
Reactions: jjrandorin
Miracle DIY repair! Backing my 3 out of my tight garage door opening for the Kth time I scraped paint off onto the fender but without denting it. After a frantic call to TCT Wraps in Portland I slowly rubbed the wrap—as advised—back to clear with 70% alcohol. Whew! No harm no foul. (The 2 white spots upper and lower left are reflections although you’ll notice small spots on the right of the “after” pix that I still need to rub out—again as advised—with rubbing compound.)
645DE998-7BC1-41F8-901F-69F974177263.jpeg 239481C3-6E2D-4178-BCD5-921082B34B8C.jpeg

Reactions: SMAlset
Miracle DIY repair! Backing my 3 out of my tight garage door opening for the Kth time I scraped paint off onto the fender but without denting it. After a frantic call to TCT Wraps in Portland I slowly rubbed the wrap—as advised—back to clear with 70% alcohol. Whew! No harm no foul. (The 2 white spots upper and lower left are reflections although you’ll notice small spots on the right of the “after” pix that I still need to rub out—again as advised—with rubbing compound.)
View attachment 392933 View attachment 392934

Nice. I’ll tuck that info away should we need it. We are big believers in PPF. Won’t save your paint in every situation but enough times, sometimes your fault driving or parking but not always. We weren’t as lucky recently when a utility type truck scraped against our MS rear panel and bumper pulling out of a parking space. There was one thin line above the bumper that needed repainting, scraped down to metal (from sharp corner on their vehicle—upper left in photo below), but the PPF took the brunt of the rest of the area damage. Film looked horrible, pulled away and wrinkled up but no damage below film to the paint. In our case we needed to replace the film in that area as it was torn. PPF is great stuff. XPel Ultimate applied in early 2017.

8A0CC873-E3E2-459E-BE19-099FDFF04121.jpeg

Last edited: