Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Action needed to get a license plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in North Carolina and picked up my M3 about 3 weeks ago. I still have the temporary license plate on my car, and I haven't received anything from the DMV about next steps. Historically, dealerships have filed license plate info on my behalf, but I'm not sure that happened with Tesla.

Anybody else have experience here? Do I need to go to the DMV license plate office to get started, or should I be more patient for something coming in the mail?

I’m in NC, picked my 3 up at the same time, and received my license plate & registration via FedEx on Friday. I think you’ll be seeing yours soon....

I wonder if it's worth the time to try calling DMV to see if they got my REG17 form from Tesla. Or if I should just head straight to the AAA office. I also wonder if the AAA Office could see if there was a pending REG17 for the vehicles...
Won't really cost you anything except a much shorter wait at the AAA office compared to DMV, although I don't know if AAA can peek into the DMV's entire database. I was in the same situation assuming that I would simply get the new registration form and tags showing my personalized plates already assigned to the Tesla, instead of getting a standard-issue license plate in the mail from Fremont.

Reactions: Troy916