Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Action needed to get a license plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in North Carolina and picked up my M3 about 3 weeks ago. I still have the temporary license plate on my car, and I haven't received anything from the DMV about next steps. Historically, dealerships have filed license plate info on my behalf, but I'm not sure that happened with Tesla.

Anybody else have experience here? Do I need to go to the DMV license plate office to get started, or should I be more patient for something coming in the mail?

Not sure how it works in NC, but when I got my Model 3 here in NJ my permanent plates were FedEx'd to me from the main Tesla location in NJ (Paramus) several weeks after I took delivery.

• Helpful
Reactions: alfadur
I'm in North Carolina and picked up my M3 about 3 weeks ago. I still have the temporary license plate on my car, and I haven't received anything from the DMV about next steps. Historically, dealerships have filed license plate info on my behalf, but I'm not sure that happened with Tesla.

Anybody else have experience here? Do I need to go to the DMV license plate office to get started, or should I be more patient for something coming in the mail?

Tesla normally does the paperwork, but you may want to call to confirm they did in your case. It took about 3 months to get our plates, but part of the issue was MN DMV.

As noted above, it could vary by state. But Tesla has always done the paperwork for me without any prompting (although I do have to sign a couple of state documents when I pick up a car), and for me the plates have always arrived before the temporary permit expired (although once they overnighted the plates to me the day the temporary expired).

For my last car, the 3 I picked up 2 months ago, the plates arrived the quickest - about a week after I got the car.

4 weeks from picking up my car and still no sign of my CA DMV registration. I filled out the form to transfer my existing personalized plates to the Model 3 during the delivery appointment. I hope that Tesla hasn't dropped the ball.

Update: I called the license plate office and they said to call the Tesla dealership back. I've left two voice messages for Tesla about this and so far no call back. My temporary plates expire in a week, so I hope something is in the works.

Follow up to my post from a couple of days ago.... Got a package in the mail from Tesla yesterday. It was the standard-issue license plates and registration. Looks like I'll have to get an appointment at the DMV to swap plates <sigh>.

So, one month from delivery to receive the plates. At least I know that Tesla processed the paperwork.

I picked up my car in Charlotte and a plate showed up 4 weeks later. The communication was fair at best but in the end a rather smooth process.

• Informative
Follow up to my post from a couple of days ago.... Got a package in the mail from Tesla yesterday. It was the standard-issue license plates and registration. Looks like I'll have to get an appointment at the DMV to swap plates <sigh>.

So, one month from delivery to receive the plates. At least I know that Tesla processed the paperwork.
That’s weird Tesla processed my personalized plates fine ...the paperwork went to them..than they just sent me updated stickers and new registration was about 3wks total

In NC, since the dealership (or Tesla in this case) submits the registration, the permanent plate gets mailed to them. As you've noticed by now, the dealer has to mail the plate to you after they receive it and it always seems to take about the full month duration of the temp plate.

It should have come with a temporary registration sticker on it. You won't receive the official registration sticker until you pay the property tax due through the DMV. That registration sticker should be mailed directly to you.

• Informative
In NC, since the dealership (or Tesla in this case) submits the registration, the permanent plate gets mailed to them. As you've noticed by now, the dealer has to mail the plate to you after they receive it and it always seems to take about the full month duration of the temp plate.

It should have come with a temporary registration sticker on it. You won't receive the official registration sticker until you pay the property tax due through the DMV. That registration sticker should be mailed directly to you.
Any advice on getting a vanity plate? I was hoping to have that option along the way instead of just getting a standard plate. I assume at this point I'll just have to go through the NC DMV to return this plate and order a new one.

Any advice on getting a vanity plate? I was hoping to have that option along the way instead of just getting a standard plate. I assume at this point I'll just have to go through the NC DMV to return this plate and order a new one.
Yeah, too late at this point. You could do that through the DMV website. It might be cheaper to wait until your registration renewal next year, but you never know if the plate you want would still be available.

EDIT: Actually, just ordered a custom plate for my Zero motorcycle and it looks like it credits you the plate fee so you might only have to pay the $30 custom plate fee.

Last edited:
Final (hopefully) entry: With both the new standard plates and my personalized plates in hand, I march down to the local AAA office and get everything taken care of. Fill out some more paperwork (original form I had was wrong according to the agent), pay $43, and get new registration and stickers. Nice to have some DMV services available at the AAA office. One of the better perks for having membership with the auto club.

Final (hopefully) entry: With both the new standard plates and my personalized plates in hand, I march down to the local AAA office and get everything taken care of. Fill out some more paperwork (original form I had was wrong according to the agent), pay $43, and get new registration and stickers. Nice to have some DMV services available at the AAA office. One of the better perks for having membership with the auto club.

I wonder if it's worth the time to try calling DMV to see if they got my REG17 form from Tesla. Or if I should just head straight to the AAA office. I also wonder if the AAA Office could see if there was a pending REG17 for the vehicles...