Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adapter for US Tesla S in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, So I have been doing some research. The supercharger in the US is the same Supercharger in Germany. Outside of the fact that the plug is different, the power distribution for superchargers are still the same. There was also a news article posted where Tesla engineers were using an adapter to charge a Model 3 (US) spec at a supercharger station. I am sure the reason an adapter is not being used is more of money issue versus actual hardware issue. Granted you may not use your navigation, free music etc. but if you have a local cell phone and use that as a hotspot then the Navi is supposed to validate/recognize your location. I cannot confirm if this part is true, but if you look at the wiki on Tesla's superchargers you can see they only list type of supercharger but in multiple countries. So, I do believe that the newer models would technically be able to use the superchargers in Germany, they just don't sell an adapter publicly. I will be shipping my US spec car to Germany as I will be working there for 3 years or more. I am not concerned about importing my car etc. as under the SOFA agreement I am not required to make any changes whatsoever to my car. So, the real question is when someone will make an adapter to avoid having to pay.

The European charge port is 3 phase while the North American charge port is single phase. Wiring harness from charge port is different. So, it is not just a difference in plug at least for level 2 AC charging. The DC charging from a Supercharger might be adaptable but you would have to adapt also the handshaking signals.
Simple solution would be ChaDeMo adapter.