Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Cruise Control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any update on Tesla finally adding 10 year old technology that Chevy puts in its Impalas?

Stressed Out? 2014 Chevrolet Impala May Offer Some Relief

It's really embarrassing that Tesla doesn't offer adaptive cruise control technology now.

I don't want to debate people who think that they don't want this technology (lots of people thought that they didn't want seat belts, air bags, stability control, anti-lock brakes etc. etc. ) -- if you don't want it don't buy it. You'll eventually figure it out in your own time.

But for those of us who have ACC on our current cars and realize how it greatly minimizes the stress and micro-decision-making in their commute, it is an absolute must have in any car.

Tesla needs to roll out ACC right away.

For those who think adaptive cruise control is a necessity, there are cars on the market you can buy. Everything is a trade off, no car can have everything everyone wants. Tesla has to prioritize what features it brings out when and has high safety rating without it.

For those who think adaptive cruise control is a necessity, there are cars on the market you can buy. Everything is a trade off, no car can have everything everyone wants. Tesla has to prioritize what features it brings out when and has high safety rating without it.

And you could have said the same thing about:
* parking sensors
* higher performance model
* better handling model
* third row seats
* premium audio

And so what?

Potential Tesla customers who are waiting to buy a Tesla until it has ACC, and would much prefer ACC to any of the features listed above, should communicate to Tesla on how to adjust their priorities and technology that they should add to the car sooner rather than later.

I saw a test mule vehicle at Hawthorne last Sunday testing ACC. I posted pictures in the 'software wish list' thread

At Model S Software/Firmware wishlist - Page 65

Thanks for the helpful and on topic contribution to the thread.
This is interesting and somewhat discouraging information. It appears that they are still doing road testing of an ad hoc cobbled together more complex technology for their ACC. Using cameras instead of radar or lidar?

Unless this is testing for ACC 2.0 with uses more complex cameras -- and ACC 1.0 (which requires only a relatively simply radar unit the grill/nose cone) is ready for production much sooner.

"Tesla trails every other premium brand on the market by not offering these types of driver assist systems already." http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/go-news-tesla-to-add-advanced-driver-assist-within-3-years

Last edited:
And you could have said the same thing about:
* parking sensors
* higher performance model
* better handling model
* third row seats
* premium audio

And so what?

Potential Tesla customers who are waiting to buy a Tesla until it has ACC, and would much prefer ACC to any of the features listed above, should communicate to Tesla on how to adjust their priorities and technology that they should add to the car sooner rather than later.

This is true - the only thing upon this list that I have is 3rd row seats but that was a deal breaker for me - without them I would not have bought the car (ACC would not have affected my decision). Sorry that this key feature has not been incorporated yet but you will love the car when you decide it has enough features to satisfy you. I know I don't regret getting an early build and missing out on some features added later.

Personally I would pay $1k for ACC. I would hesitate at $3k.
I'm starting to simplify my thinking as follows:

Don't retrofit anything until Gen 3 is out. When Gen 3 features are announced and the first cars start getting delivered, then revisit each Gen 3 feature not present in the Model S: prioritize them and send a wishlist to Tesla asking (a) which ones are available as retrofits for Model S and (b) an estimate for having all of the available retrofits in that list done.

My guess is that the final price will about ~$50k.

The good news is that between now and Gen3 such a simple philosophy might prevent wallet fatigue.

IMO ACC with full stop is needed immediately on Model S. I would also like it be integrated with an obstacles and pedestrians detection system.

Very unlikely that the Palmdale Model S was driving on CC; given the visible damage to the Model S, I'd guess it impacted the Honda at at least 30 mph, so probably it was driving 40-50 mph faster (assuming the driver slammed on the brakes just before impact). The Honda was probably driving about the speed limit. People driving 100+ mph don't usually have CC on.

Very unlikely that the Palmdale Model S was driving on CC; given the visible damage to the Model S, I'd guess it impacted the Honda at at least 30 mph, so probably it was driving 40-50 mph faster (assuming the driver slammed on the brakes just before impact). The Honda was probably driving about the speed limit. People driving 100+ mph don't usually have CC on.

But the ACC, unlike the CC, is able to stop the car when the radar detects another car driving at a slower speed. IMO the ACC should be engaged automatically at a certain speed for reason of safety and (maybe) disangaged only if wanted by the driver.