Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive Front Lighting System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Is this the adaptive headlights being talked about? I thought the recent article said Model 3 only to start. But this is in the Model S manual. Searched forum here and general internet search but didn't find anything definitive. Thanks.

"
If equipped, the Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) automatically adjusts the beam of the headlights to improve your driving view. Electric sensors measure driving speed, steering angle and yaw (the rotation of the car around the vertical axis) to determine the optimum position of the headlights based on current driving conditions. For example, to improve visibility while driving on winding roads at night, the AFS casts the beam in the direction of the curve. When low beam headlights are turned on and when driving at lower speeds, AFS improves lateral illumination to increase the visibility of pedestrians and curbs, and to improve visibility when turning at a dark intersection, into a driveway, or when making a u-turn.

The Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) operates whenever headlights are on. If Model S isn't moving, or is moving in reverse, the adaptive headlights do not activate. This prevents the headlights from inadvertently blinding other drivers."

Thanks. That's odd to remove it. Hardware is still there and waiting for yet another software update or it's completely gone?
The headlights on the pre-2022 matrix setup on the S were rubbish. Absolutely awful. The AFS was kind of a bandaid for just poor headlights in general, and the new lights in many ways remove the need for the AFS.

I don’t know if there are unused LEDs on the current lights that an AFS could be enabled. I wouldn’t expect so.

Reactions: dsm363
The headlights on the pre-2022 matrix setup on the S were rubbish. Absolutely awful. The AFS was kind of a bandaid for just poor headlights in general, and the new lights in many ways remove the need for the AFS.

I don’t know if there are unused LEDs on the current lights that an AFS could be enabled. I wouldn’t expect so.
I see. I just assumed with the Model 3 getting them it would be added to the Model S at some point. Thanks.

I see. I just assumed with the Model 3 getting them it would be added to the Model S at some point. Thanks.
Well, it's hard to say what can/will be enabled in the USA. The Highland Model 3 isn't getting AFS, though, as it's described in the Tesla manual. It's getting the matrix setup fully enabled, though, in 2024.2, apparently, but also apparently only in Europe. For now we don't know if the existing matrix-equipped cars in the USA will get the feature in a software update or not... We can say for a fact that pre-2022 S will not get it as their headlights aren't matrix.

Here's an example of a Polestar with the feature enabled (skip to 1:50):

Reactions: dsm363

The projectors can rotate though, so seems like they should be able to do AFS the old fashion way.