Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adaptive volume?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we have an adaptive volume to our sound? I didn't get the premium sound package, so I'm not sure if this was feature, but I've noticed much more in this vehicle, that when you have the radio volume set for something audible while moving (road noise) it's a little too loud when stopped at a light (no engine noise). My Rav4 and Audi have auto adjusting volume that was linked to motion. The Rav4 would get louder when moving at higher speeds and the Audi does that, and lowers the volume when in reverse. I didn't see the option in my X. Seems like a feature that could easily be implemented via software update if it's not already there.

bluetooth audio from my phone needs the volume to be much higher than the streaming or regular radio.

You might try this (if you haven't already) - while playing audio from your phone over the bluetooth connection in the car, repeatedly press the volume up button on your phone. You should be able to get it to a similar level to other audio sources so you don't have to make big volume adjustments in the car when switching to bluetooth audio.

Mike

I would also like to see the car remember the volume level per audio source. My Lexus RX has this feature and it is very useful. For example, bluetooth audio from my phone needs the volume to be much higher than the streaming or regular radio.

There is another important need for adaptive volume, or a settings capability to tune your system needed and retain settings per driver. The Nav system has to break through with voice information, and seems to lower the media source level which helps. But it is not enough, especially when you are in heavy traffic or unfamiliar areas and really need to clearly get instructions. It seems like a lot of the problem comes from the rear speakers. If you happen to be listening to the news, or a podcast for example it is especially troublesome with 2 voices speaking at once for me. I've got a Model X with standard audio and V8.0 firmware. Have I missed a setting somewhere?

You can control the volume of the NAV voice prompts independent of the music audio volume. The easiest way to do it is to wait for a voice prompt, then roll the left wheel up. You should see the NAV volume slider bar on the left side of the cluster increase. Increasing that volume, in combination with the audio cutting out of the left speaker during NAV prompts, might help a bit.