TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Add LED Lighting to your Tesla Integrated Front Console for $6

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by arijaycomet, Feb 9, 2017.

1. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

tesla-led-cubby-lighting-8.JPG

My full write-up is on my personal blog... CLICK HERE.
    Product used: ONEVER Flexible LED Strip

At the moment it is half-off ... so instead of $12 it is $6 for this particular LED strip. Really glad I did this as I was finding it hard at night time to see what was in my console.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  2. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Nice write up. I stuck my led strip to the front face of the cross member just under the cover. It's the black part that goes across the opening at the very front.

This way the lightning would be aimed towards the back. I left a few LEDs under the face like you did, too. I found doing it this way more evenly lights under the very front as well as the cupholder area. I noticed yours is very bright up front and much less so nearer the back, due to coiling the whole strip up front facing down.

You probably prefer it that way, but just in case, I thought I would share :)

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

Sweet! Thanks for the tip!

4. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

Hmm yeah I figured I might play around with the exact placement a bit more. I wanted a strip this size that was dimmable but the only ones I found to dim had a remote, or some sort of rheostat that would be hard to reach/touch once installed. So I went with this fixed light situation. I've noted your placement, and may give that a try. (Not sure how easy to remove/restick the strip will be but I may find out haha)

5. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

I used 3M adhesive strips to mount it. The built-in adhesive wasn't strong enough to stick to the smooth plastic.

It's removable adhesive strips available at the hardware store.

• Like x 1
  6. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

What are people's thoughts on the "warm white" vs. the "cool white?"

I do have the upgraded interior lighting, and just looking at the image in the blog, I am thinking the cool white may be a better match for the lighting already present in the car.

Thanks!

• Informative x 1
  7. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

the lighting in the car is more warm than cool. I tried to match the color, no luck. I ended up adding some orange photography gels in front of the LEDs to get a closer look and then called it a day. If you find a good match, do share!

8. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Oh wait, I just noticed the OP's LEDs are 2700-3200K. That *is* much warmer than the car's lighting. I started with a 5500K LED, it was too blue, tinted it whiter with orange gels. Result is still a little too blue, but no idea what temperature.

If I had to guess at what's in the car, I'd say it is around 4500K.

9. gabeincal

gabeincal Enjoying Napa life the electric way

Fantastic write-up! But. Exactly my question about the color. Which option to order from amazon, cool white or warm white...? Please update the blog entry with the info!! :)

10. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

RE: Warmth/Color of lights...

#1 - We've had 6 Tesla vehicles total. In the vehicles that have a DARK (black) headliner, the overhead dome lights have always appeared to be a warmer, more orange hue. In the light headliner vehicles, the dome lights have always appeared to be more blue, cooler. This may just be in our heads, but my wife was actually ho noticed it first and I concur. As such, IMO, the dark headliners have warmer interior OE lighting from Tesla.

#2 - WARM WHITE is the version that I got, based on the above info. It is definitely a more natural, warmer, more "orange" glow if you will. The color is more what we all think of when we think incandescent lighting, really. I was afraid that the "cool" white would be too blue, and since I have a dark headliner, I assumed the warm would match my warmer interior lights. Plus, I tend to personally prefer the warm over the cool spectrum of bulbs, but that is just my preference obviously.

Hope this helps those who are asking!

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

Thanks for the info.

I feel like my interior lights are cooler, so may try that version. I can always splurge for another six bucks and try the other if I'm not happy with the cool.

Thanks again!

• Like x 1
  12. MX458Dave

MX458Dave Member

Awesome. Just ordered. I love a cheap DIY mod that massively helps a design defect.

• Like x 2
  13. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

For grins, I just put my colorimeter on the model X dome lights (overhead). Looks like it is about 4700K.

I also measured the headlight "eye liner" - the white EL tape under the lights, because to my eye they looked more like "daylight white" -- 6500K. They measured about 6100K.

So if anyone finds an LED strip with a 4500-5000K rating, do share, because I'd swap mine out in a heartbeat for a better match.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  14. essmd

essmd Phantom X

BRILLIANT!!! Nicely Done !!!
    Just with the car came with such a significant element.

15. essmd

essmd Phantom X

16. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

Thanks for clarification there. Since I don't have PuP I have no ambient interior lights. But good to know there are none here even with premium!

17. Reekdog

Reekdog Member

I ordered both warm and cool, I'll check them our with my dark headliner and let you know which one is better.

18. Frankman60

Frankman60 Member

Very cool idea. Does any of the light leak out through the center console when the cover is completely shut? Can you tell that the LEDs are illuminated with the cover completely shut when driving at night?

• Informative x 1
  19. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

The way mine is setup and having the lights so far forward, you can't see it without the cover open. No light leaks out that I can see. No distraction whatsoever. Enjoy!

• Like x 1
  20. RacerX

RacerX 3x F1 World Champion #44

Columbus/CLE/Cincinnati/Mason, OH. /Detroit USA
    I wanted to order... but today when I checked Amazon is out.
    Will need to try different set ...
    Not really sure what's equivalent will have to read up on it.