Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add LED Lighting to your Tesla Integrated Front Console for $6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice write up. I stuck my led strip to the front face of the cross member just under the cover. It's the black part that goes across the opening at the very front.

This way the lightning would be aimed towards the back. I left a few LEDs under the face like you did, too. I found doing it this way more evenly lights under the very front as well as the cupholder area. I noticed yours is very bright up front and much less so nearer the back, due to coiling the whole strip up front facing down.

You probably prefer it that way, but just in case, I thought I would share :)

Nice write up. I stuck my led strip to the front face of the cross member just under the cover. It's the black part that goes across the opening at the very front. (snip)
You probably prefer it that way, but just in case, I thought I would share :)

Hmm yeah I figured I might play around with the exact placement a bit more. I wanted a strip this size that was dimmable but the only ones I found to dim had a remote, or some sort of rheostat that would be hard to reach/touch once installed. So I went with this fixed light situation. I've noted your placement, and may give that a try. (Not sure how easy to remove/restick the strip will be but I may find out haha)

What are people's thoughts on the "warm white" vs. the "cool white?"

I do have the upgraded interior lighting, and just looking at the image in the blog, I am thinking the cool white may be a better match for the lighting already present in the car.

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Tech_Guy
the lighting in the car is more warm than cool. I tried to match the color, no luck. I ended up adding some orange photography gels in front of the LEDs to get a closer look and then called it a day. If you find a good match, do share!

Oh wait, I just noticed the OP's LEDs are 2700-3200K. That *is* much warmer than the car's lighting. I started with a 5500K LED, it was too blue, tinted it whiter with orange gels. Result is still a little too blue, but no idea what temperature.

If I had to guess at what's in the car, I'd say it is around 4500K.

What are people's thoughts on the "warm white" vs. the "cool white?"

I do have the upgraded interior lighting, and just looking at the image in the blog, I am thinking the cool white may be a better match for the lighting already present in the car.

Thanks!

Fantastic write-up! But. Exactly my question about the color. Which option to order from amazon, cool white or warm white...? Please update the blog entry with the info!! :)

RE: Warmth/Color of lights...

#1 - We've had 6 Tesla vehicles total. In the vehicles that have a DARK (black) headliner, the overhead dome lights have always appeared to be a warmer, more orange hue. In the light headliner vehicles, the dome lights have always appeared to be more blue, cooler. This may just be in our heads, but my wife was actually ho noticed it first and I concur. As such, IMO, the dark headliners have warmer interior OE lighting from Tesla.

#2 - WARM WHITE is the version that I got, based on the above info. It is definitely a more natural, warmer, more "orange" glow if you will. The color is more what we all think of when we think incandescent lighting, really. I was afraid that the "cool" white would be too blue, and since I have a dark headliner, I assumed the warm would match my warmer interior lights. Plus, I tend to personally prefer the warm over the cool spectrum of bulbs, but that is just my preference obviously.

Hope this helps those who are asking!

For grins, I just put my colorimeter on the model X dome lights (overhead). Looks like it is about 4700K.

I also measured the headlight "eye liner" - the white EL tape under the lights, because to my eye they looked more like "daylight white" -- 6500K. They measured about 6100K.

So if anyone finds an LED strip with a 4500-5000K rating, do share, because I'd swap mine out in a heartbeat for a better match.

Attachments

• ModelX_DomeLight.png
    ModelX_DomeLight.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 110
  • modelX_eyeliner.png
    modelX_eyeliner.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 106
  • FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    FullSizeRender 3.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
After reading the blog write-up, I notice the mention of the Premium package ambient lighting which I have and this space is still black.

I am going to try a RBG strip if that provides enough illumination while avoiding white...and it can be cut to size..

Amazon.com : BEILAI 50cm USB 5V LED Strip Light Kit, Bias Lighting 5050 LED TV Background Lighting With 24 Key Remote Controller for HDTV, Desktop, Monitors, Home decoration : Patio, Lawn & Garden

I wanted to order... but today when I checked Amazon is out.
Will need to try different set ...
Not really sure what's equivalent will have to read up on it.