Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Add Lights to Bike Rack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So using a bike rack, the proximity sensors alert. I understand I can select trailer mode but it doesn't work without a trailer plugged in. Is that correct? If so, I was thinking of installing a trailer light kit on the bike rack and plug that in for use with trailer mode. That would silence the sensors, add a license plate bracket and lights. Thoughts?

I used these to wrap around my bike rack and works well folded and unfolded.

I also used some black zip ties to makes sure it sticks and a 4 pin to 7 pin adapter.

For some reason it doesn't work on my R1T the same, but haven't troubleshoot why yet.

So using a bike rack, the proximity sensors alert. I understand I can select trailer mode but it doesn't work without a trailer plugged in. Is that correct? If so, I was thinking of installing a trailer light kit on the bike rack and plug that in for use with trailer mode. That would silence the sensors, add a license plate bracket and lights. Thoughts?
Plug in a harness tester, and you'll go into trailer mode. This will set you back around $11.

Reactions: Jim R
That is gorgeous! Might have considered it if i didn't get the 1Up. Sure is pricey
I noticed this comment on Amazon:

Works Well on Back of 1UP Bike Rack

Amazon - 1UP Bike Rack .jpg

$14 - 2 Pieces 10 Inch 15 LED - Trailer Tail Light Bar Stop Turn Tail Lights Assembly

71gKnQkdm4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The following kit seems to be more practical to instal:

$26 - CURT 53201 Auxiliary Automotive LED Light Strips for Hitch Cargo Carrier, Bike Rack

CURT 53201 LED Light Strips for Hitch .jpg

Reactions: Jim R
Can you remove the batteries of the bikes?
Yes, but many electric bikes, between the ruggedized frames and the weight of the motors, even with the battery removed, are still pretty heavy. If the rack weighs 50ish pounds (weight of my Küat NV - and the Piston Pro is likely heavier) you’d only be able to utilize 55 of the available 67 pounds in each of the two trays. Anything heavier in either tray, and you’re over the tongue weight limit.

Yes, but many electric bikes, between the ruggedized frames and the weight of the motors, even with the battery removed, are still pretty heavy. If the rack weighs 50ish pounds (weight of my Küat NV - and the Piston Pro is likely heavier) you’d only be able to utilize 55 of the available 67 pounds in each of the two trays. Anything heavier in either tray, and you’re over the tongue weight limit.

I noticed that those new bike racks are designed for e-bikes and are becoming very sturdy and heavy.
Some are so heavy that you need to use a roller specially designed to carry those e-bike carriers from your garage to your car.

s-l1600.jpg

Because of the hitch weight limitation, I wonder if using a small trailer would be safer and even cheaper that using an e-bike carrier?

$400 - Ironton 40in. x 48in. Steel Utility Trailer Kit - 1060-Lb. Load Capacity
Including coupler assembly with safety chains and and running lights.

Trailer 1060-Lb .jpg

Cool. The gap is exactly this. I don’t want to buy separate adapter and figure out which one works or not. I want a all in one solution that I can buy and know it will work out of the box.
There are several type of trailers and electrical wiring.

In US, the most common is the 4-wire (were the stop sign and the turn signal share the same bulb).
- This the type of plug that most of the U-Haul trailer have, so for the Model Y/X you will need to get the above (#13) adapter.

Some trailers have an inertia brake and to be able to go in reverse with a trailer, you need to cancel out the trailer brake.
- So in this case you need a 5-wire for the reverse, and again for the Model Y/X you will need to get the above (#13) adapter.

I don't think this is even more complicated than having to use a J1772 adapter when you use a public L2 charger with your Tesla.

I agree that it would be simple to have an universal plug, but there are many standards for the 6-wire and the 7-wire), see below:

Vehicle and Trailer 6-way.jpgTrailer side 7-way .jpgVehicule side 7-way .jpg

Some additional Trailer Wiring Diagrams are nicely presented under the e-Trailer web site.

Note: Some trailers have also an electrical brake, so in this case you will need to install a Brake Controller for your Model X/Y.

Last edited:
Cool. The gap is exactly this. I don’t want to buy separate adapter and figure out which one works or not. I want a all in one solution that I can buy and know it will work out of the box.
You could then get this Thule VeloSpace XT 3 Bike Rack, which will have the correct 7-Pin plug,
but you will need to get then a 2" ball hitch, because the EU version don't use the 2" tow hitch.
(And also you will need to import it, since the US version don't have the extra lighting)

I noticed that those new bike racks are designed for e-bikes and are becoming very sturdy and heavy.
Some are so heavy that you need to use a roller specially designed to carry those e-bike carriers from your garage to your car.

View attachment 846537

Because of the hitch weight limitation, I wonder if using a small trailer would be safer and even cheaper that using an e-bike carrier?

$400 - Ironton 40in. x 48in. Steel Utility Trailer Kit - 1060-Lb. Load Capacity
Including coupler assembly with safety chains and and running lights.

View attachment 846544
That’s one of the Küat racks on there. Looks like my NV. I carry mine when I need to move it, but it definitely is heavy. Our two Trek electric bikes weigh a total of 92 pound without batteries, so we’re still under the limit even with the heavy rack. The small trailer unfortunately doesn’t have a way to secure bikes properly, and without a suspension, would probably bounce around a bit. I also think adding rolling resistance in addition to the wind resistance of the bikes would further bring down the efficiency of transporting bikes on an EV.