Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding a new phone, but to the same key card or different key card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have lack of information in this case and let me explain.

I have a MYP and I have multiple (2 maybe 3) keycards to the car. One of these cards are paired up with my phone and works like a charm.
But, I want to the same setup to my wife. There are cases when she is still in the car while I am away with my phone and the car locks even though she is inside. If she moves or does something the car will go alarm mode and my wife go berserk...

So, I want to add her phone as another device which can open the car, so she can walk up to the car and open it when I'm not there. She is not and won't drive the car. She just want to sit in and stay in when I'm not there and enjoy the entertainment system and the air conditioning. How to do this? Shall I add her phone to the same keycard (pairing up her phone) as my phone is paired up or shall I use another keycard?

If her phone and my phone is linked to the same keycard can the car manage this?

Phones aren't tied to cards. You can use any authorized card to activate a phone.
OK, so my question is...... I am getting a new phone tomorrow and will not be using the old phone for my card. I will give the old phone to my wife and she will use it with her card. I will put the new phone on my card. Is there anything special that needs to be done so that the settings are preserved, IOW are they tied to the card so that the phones can be switched around without losing anything?

OK, so my question is...... I am getting a new phone tomorrow and will not be using the old phone for my card. I will give the old phone to my wife and she will use it with her card. I will put the new phone on my card. Is there anything special that needs to be done so that the settings are preserved, IOW are they tied to the card so that the phones can be switched around without losing anything?

They can be switched around without losing anything, but you will have to reassign the correct driver profile to them.