Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding FSD after car config

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...I placed an order for my M3 in June and have been waiting for a VIN and delivery notification for some time now. Because I'm still waiting for my car to arrive, I still have the option of purchasing FSD for $7k. I'm contemplating adding the FSD and was wondering If I were to add it during this time, would it delay the delivery?

Thanks in advance.

So...I placed an order for my M3 in June and have been waiting for a VIN and delivery notification for some time now. Because I'm still waiting for my car to arrive, I still have the option of purchasing FSD for $7k. I'm contemplating adding the FSD and was wondering If I were to add it during this time, would it delay the delivery?

Thanks in advance.
You may want to double check that. Just because you ordered the vehicle prior to July 1st, does not mean you can add FSD for $7K

You either already purchased FSD at $7K or you did not.

Reactions: MP3Mike
So would you go with the SR+ with FSD of LR with no FSD, trying to keep within a budget. Thanks

A lot of people ask this question, and its very subjective, but in my opinion, especially with tesla and the fact that you CAN add FSD later if you decide to, but you can NOT add a larger battery without selling the car, I would always choose the larger battery without FSD vs the smaller one with.

This is from someone that has FSD on their model 3p, so I am not anti FSD. I just think the battery trumps all, and regular AP that comes with the car is sufficient for many. If not, you can add it later, unlike almost all other manufacturers.

A lot of people ask this question, and its very subjective, but in my opinion, especially with tesla and the fact that you CAN add FSD later if you decide to, but you can NOT add a larger battery without selling the car, I would always choose the larger battery without FSD vs the smaller one with.

This is from someone that has FSD on their model 3p, so I am not anti FSD. I just think the battery trumps all, and regular AP that comes with the car is sufficient for many. If not, you can add it later, unlike almost all other manufacturers.

Thanks, that's the way I was looking at it. We don't drive a lot, but we like to take our road trips and from doing all the research I was thinking I would benefit with a longer range over the FSD, and as you stated we can always add it later.

I wrestled with that problem myself, then bit the bullet and went with LR and FSD.
I did the same thing. I am taking delivery of my Model 3 in two days, and I decided to add FSD at the last minute. I decided that it was a good idea to get in on it NOW because they will continue to raise the price, even if it is offset by lowering the base price of the vehicles.

I did the same thing. I am taking delivery of my Model 3 in two days, and I decided to add FSD at the last minute. I decided that it was a good idea to get in on it NOW because they will continue to raise the price, even if it is offset by lowering the base price of the vehicles.
Until they decide it’s on sale again.

I’ll never understand why people like giving Tesla interest-free loans based on FOMO.

You may want to double check that. Just because you ordered the vehicle prior to July 1st, does not mean you can add FSD for $7K

You either already purchased FSD at $7K or you did not.

Trust me, the option shows on my account for $7k . I am and have been in the "prepare for delivery" phase for +5 weeks (living in Hawaii it takes a little longer to get a car assigned/delivered). With this in mind, my original question was regarding adding the option during the "prep for delivery", would it delay or have another vehicle assigned to me?

Trust me, the option shows on my account for $7k . I am and have been in the "prepare for delivery" phase for +5 weeks (living in Hawaii it takes a little longer to get a car assigned/delivered). With this in mind, my original question was regarding adding the option during the "prep for delivery", would it delay or have another vehicle assigned to me?

It wouldnt delay the vehicle. The only concerns are money related (as in, if your not paying cash, can you be approved for the higher price, etc).

Try to buy it and see what happens. FSD is $8K now.

I know because I also have an order in and have not taken delivery.

So would you go with the SR+ with FSD of LR with no FSD, trying to keep within a budget. Thanks

As an SR+ owner that is fully content with range and will never need more than 200 miles at any given time, I would choose the SR+ w/ FSD. With that said, Elon has said a subscription model of FSD is coming, and I want to see what that price point is before I decide. Even if it is pricer in the long run, unlike the current pricing a subscription is exactly that and not tethered to the car. I personally would rather pay $199/month as needed vs $8K today that I will never recoup if I sell the car in a few years. A subscription model would really hurt the resale of FSD.