Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding partial tint to top of windshield? Reasonable idea or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping you all can help me decide what to do about our MX. I've found the top of the windshield to allow more sun than I prefer. I am not sure it is heat per say as much as light. For now I've been using the sun screen and I put a thin black cloth in between the sunscreen and top of windshield. Sadly this does obscure the beautiful large windshield. I was thinking of adding more tint just to the top of the windshield, basically to the line where the sunscreen is or where the front camera housing ends. This would leave a line across the top, but I am anticipating this would look better than leaving the sun screen up. Essentially, do you all think this would be a dumb idea? Think it would be better to just try some of those heat reject films across the entire windshield? Only concern here is that it's more the bright light I think that bothers me more than the heat... So not sure a clear heat rejecting film would be what I am looking for.

Thanks!

P.s.: swear I am not a vampire!

i had a X loaner for a day and i had similar issue with the sun getting into my eyes still so you're not alone.

you can always try a 75% tint on the front windshield? its not too dark but also might not block out the sun complete either

I would tint the entire windshield from someone who's done full windshields on Model X-es before. Technically its illegal but if you do 70% photo sync nobody will be able to tell its there unless they look hard or take a meter.

I would tint the entire windshield from someone who's done full windshields on Model X-es before. Technically its illegal but if you do 70% photo sync nobody will be able to tell its there unless they look hard or take a meter.

I’m still debating for mine but I would think if you limo the area that is already tinted it would block more direct sun than a full lightly tinted windshield. I may need to experiment.

Before I bought my car, I rented a X on a 200 miles drive. In 90 degree weather, I swear the fan never fell below 8 and we were all sweating in the front seat. While it hasn't been quite as hot, but the car runs noticeable cooler with the ceramic tints all around (not any tints, get the crystalline or other ceramic one where it blocks certain UV). The tint is not noticeable, so no need to worry about cops.

I have only had to use the shades when I drove up to Tahoe.

Before I bought my car, I rented a X on a 200 miles drive. In 90 degree weather, I swear the fan never fell below 8 and we were all sweating in the front seat. While it hasn't been quite as hot, but the car runs noticeable cooler with the ceramic tints all around (not any tints, get the crystalline or other ceramic one where it blocks certain UV). The tint is not noticeable, so no need to worry about cops.

I have only had to use the shades when I drove up to Tahoe.

So you did full ceramic tint, and full front windshield? I’m in Florida and kind of concerned about that.

If it's about heat, you're not looking to block UV. You're looking to block IR, which the ceramic tints like 3m crystalline do a well as blocking UV.

But if it's just about "it's too bright" then neither UV or IR matter and you just want to go dark. I'd argue that it makes sense to go after UV and IR while you're at it but those films are also a lot more expensive.

We did crystalline on our windshield and the front doors and it makes a significant difference. I would say it's the equivalent difference between standing in the sun vs standing in the shade of trees e.g. it's not as big a difference as standing under a roof fully out of the sun but it's very noticeable.

Reactions: Terthen
For those considering doing the entire windshield, do keep in mind that most tint shops are unable to do the X because of its size and curvature (difficulty). Make sure to find out that the shop has successfully installed the film to the X's large front windshield before. We have seen some horrific damage done to the Xs windshields because installers have told their Model X clients they can do it only to realize later that they can't complete the job.

• Informative
Reactions: xyeahtony