Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding partial tint to top of windshield? Reasonable idea or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t mean offense to Premier but, it seems like anytime anyone asks about any product other than what they use it’s sub par. I’ve asked several times for recommendations and have received none. I think I’ll just use other reviews.

This is because all tests that we have done ourselves show that Photosync and Ceraluxe IRD are the top performing window films on the market. We go by test results and not by opinion. Since you did ask about 3M CR and Johnsons, we chimed in on both of those companies. Heat rejection is a substantial part in what consumers choose and that's where we focus on. Tesla uses a substantial amount of glass in their cars and results in hotter in-cabin temps. There are a host of window film manufacturers on the market and here at Premier, we only use the best - "best" is subjective, but we go with facts and specifications to determine this.

This is because all tests that we have done ourselves show that Photosync and Ceraluxe IRD are the top performing window films on the market. We go by test results and not by opinion. Since you did ask about 3M CR and Johnsons, we chimed in on both of those companies. Heat rejection is a substantial part in what consumers choose and that's where we focus on. Tesla uses a substantial amount of glass in their cars and results in hotter in-cabin temps. There are a host of window film manufacturers on the market and here at Premier, we only use the best - "best" is subjective, but we go with facts and specifications to determine this.

Again I have no dealer near me, not even close. So back to the original question what would you recommend outside of what you sell or would you recommend me somehow getting ahold of your film and getting someone to install it.

Again I have no dealer near me, not even close. So back to the original question what would you recommend outside of what you sell or would you recommend me somehow getting ahold of your film and getting someone to install it.

Go with whichever product that best suits your need and budget. The installer is also a very important factor here. If Photosync is not available in your area, then go with whichever company that you feel most comfortable with. Experience is key when it comes to this type of app.

Ha thanks! I’m the OP. The discussion is really helpful though. I am getting tint installed just on the top this week... but it has me thinking about heat rejection on the other windows.

Good to know. Any thoughts on Madico Wincos? In terms of price to performance the company installing my tint is recommending that film for me. Thank you!

We used to be a Madico dealer, so have had a lot of experience with Wincos. What we didn't like about Wincos is how thin it was and it only came in 40 inch sizes. (the roll size is ok in that we can do most cars, but if we get a Model X, then it would not be sufficient.). There is also an iridescent haze that can be seen from some angles. The performance level is decent and our testing showed it to be a 90% IRR film.

Reactions: Terthen
...agreed on thinness of winco which is why I went photosync ..the heat rejection though is decent enough on winco for the price ...which is why my photo sync guy does a lot of winco in model 3’s

I decided to go with Madico Winco on half the top. The heat rejection seems pretty decent, I was going to go with 3M color stable but was convinced that the heat rejection from a better film would help. I think it’s definitely true, so would recommend that to anyone thinking about it. I went with 20% tint so there is a noticeable line on the inside but I needed the glare/light reduction too. For me this was exactly what I wanted, the line doesn’t bother me at all and I can still enjoy the huge windshield (and not have to use the sunscreen)!

Attachments

• E2BB98CF-88B8-48E5-A2A3-74848BB0BE29.jpeg
    E2BB98CF-88B8-48E5-A2A3-74848BB0BE29.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 440
Reactions: P85_DA
I decided to go with Madico Winco on half the top. The heat rejection seems pretty decent, I was going to go with 3M color stable but was convinced that the heat rejection from a better film would help. I think it’s definitely true, so would recommend that to anyone thinking about it. I went with 20% tint so there is a noticeable line on the inside but I needed the glare/light reduction too. For me this was exactly what I wanted, the line doesn’t bother me at all and I can still enjoy the huge windshield (and not have to use the sunscreen)!

Looks good. The line is normal In almost every car. Anyone who does a strip so it’s not out of the ordinary or anything.

Do you mind showing a pic of what your front windshield tint strip looks like from the outside?

Do you mind showing a pic of what your front windshield tint strip looks like from the outside?

I think from the outside, you can't even see the strip. Right about the middle of the rear view mirror unit is when the windshield manufactured tint goes into black color anyway.

I have done the entire windshield in photosync and I wish I had done the strip instead. My wife wanted to add a strip but I told her photosync the whole thing is better so she went with it. After that she said the sun was still too bright so now her X got the sunscreen on permanently. I should have just done what she asked... and put a limo strip where the sunscreen covers.