Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adhesive Front License Plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all it might not be legal in your state. Second if you’re going to put something on then why not just put on the real plate?
If I were to guess, maybe the OP thinks it’s more “aero dynamic” to have a plate conformed to the bumper than a flat plate. That would be the only reason I might do it.

That said, I wouldn’t do it, it looks like someone smashed into the bumper, crushing the plate onto it.

I just got my plates today, but haven’t installed it yet since I was on my way to work when I noticed it. I bought a license plate bracket from Amazon, that attaches to the grille. I’ll make use of it once I get home. Not that there’s any rush, since the temp won’t expire till end of May.

Supposedly, Illinois has a proposal to eliminate the need to use front plates, so I’m hoping it passes and takes effect soon.

If I were to guess, maybe the OP thinks it’s more “aero dynamic” to have a plate conformed to the bumper than a flat plate. That would be the only reason I might do it.

That said, I wouldn’t do it, it looks like someone smashed into the bumper, crushing the plate onto it.

I just got my plates today, but haven’t installed it yet since I was on my way to work when I noticed it. I bought a license plate bracket from Amazon, that attaches to the grille. I’ll make use of it once I get home. Not that there’s any rush, since the temp won’t expire till end of May.

Supposedly, Illinois has a proposal to eliminate the need to use front plates, so I’m hoping it passes and takes effect soon.
That could be cool, a plate holder that matches the contour of the front.

On my 2018 M3, I attached the factory license holder using adhesive backed Velcro strips. Not directly to the car's painted front bumper, but on top of a patch of a 3M brand of clear PPF film. The hard part was removing the factory license holder's 3M brand double backed adhesive tape.

In 4-1/2 years of use, the front license plate holder is still holding on strong.

yes per the link below DMV is working now with multiple entities to issue vinyl plates. so soon we will have multiple vendors, will be a good money makin business soon.
DMV Highlights New Laws in 2023 - California DMV
On my 2018 M3, I attached the factory license holder using adhesive backed Velcro strips. Not directly to the car's painted front bumper, but on top of a patch of a 3M brand of clear PPF film. The hard part was removing the factory license holder's 3M brand double backed adhesive tape.

In 4-1/2 years of use, the front license plate holder is still holding on strong.
While I do think vinyl or even ppf backed holders are interesting…

Wouldn't they look weird after a couple of years, should you ever feel the need to change/replace them?

It’ll be like getting a bearded/mustached guy to shave it after getting a tan.