Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjustable suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
we have 3 days to go before our MS gets locked in. To avoid late change costs, I have one question regarding suspension option that I haven't seen addressed. Has anyone changed from low setting to std during cruise to see what effect it has on range. It should increase drag to do so, but I wonder if it has any real significant impact. Anyone want to test it?

Thanks

we have 3 days to go before our MS gets locked in. To avoid late change costs, I have one question regarding suspension option that I haven't seen addressed. Has anyone changed from low setting to std during cruise to see what effect it has on range. It should increase drag to do so, but I wonder if it has any real significant impact. Anyone want to test it?

I happened to try something similar this weekend... I was trying to see if I could feel a difference in ride comfort between low and standard settings. In my highly unscientific testing I could not feel a difference nor could I see any noticeable difference in range. Maybe if you did a complete trip in low vs standard with all other variables being the same you might see a slight difference, but I don't think it would be much.

I did not feel a noticeable difference either on my 'overnight experience'. The only reason I added SAS was because of a steep driveway. The car bottomed out on both the front and rear against the curb when it was set on 'standard' setting else I would have gone for coil.

My two cents on ride quality vs ride height after a recent road trip on some pretty bad rural hwy roads. I have 19s. Low height seems to absorb more of the tiny imperfections in the road that cause the near constant jiggling while driving, but at the expense of more violent bigger bumps. For the bad roads I was on, I switched over to standard height and it seemed to help smooth out the bigger jolts. I really wish the air suspension setup was more compliant though. On long trips, my family has a difficult time resting/sleeping due to all the near constant jitter on non-pristine roads.

Thanks for the input. As of now, we have std suspension in our plan. The local Tesla folks in Raliegh Durham were nice enough to come out with a std suspension model and check it on our steep drive. No problem. I have see people on the forum argue against the adjustable suspension due to maintenance issues. All I can say to that is in our minute sample of one Lexus RX330, with 14 years, and 200,600 miles, it has always worked, though we hardly ever use it.