Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting Limits on Side Mirrors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Driver's side mirror doesn't rotate out as far as it should. When I took delivery it was far worse and they took it back to service to repair it, but it still needs a little more outward adjustment.

On every ICE car I own you can apply pressure on the outside edge of the mirror and it will adjust manually, basically there are clicks as it moves the position of the mirror wrt to the mirror motor position. I tried applying pressure on the Tesla mirror, but it didn't seem to budge, I didn't want to apply too much force so I stopped. Does anyone know if it is possible to manually adjust the side mirrors on a Tesla?

Mine is like that too, fortunately the position it is in is just right. I think this affects folks who adjust the mirrors by not using the side of the car as a final reference point, if you move them further out to avoid overlapping the view from the rear view mirror the side mirror has to go further outward so you can minimize the blind spot.

I bet the outward limit can be adjusted by increasing the travel parameters to the side mirrors. Sound like another upgrade to add to the list. ;)

My Driver's side mirror doesn't rotate out as far as it should. When I took delivery it was far worse and they took it back to service to repair it, but it still needs a little more outward adjustment.

On every ICE car I own you can apply pressure on the outside edge of the mirror and it will adjust manually, basically there are clicks as it moves the position of the mirror wrt to the mirror motor position. I tried applying pressure on the Tesla mirror, but it didn't seem to budge, I didn't want to apply too much force so I stopped. Does anyone know if it is possible to manually adjust the side mirrors on a Tesla?
I'm at the limit on mine too. Might be better to have them rotate a little farther. I'm guessing you're also tall.

Reactions: Beta V
I do try adjust to adjust my mirrors properly so that I can't see the side of the car. It's close right now, but there is still a significant blind spot currently. I'm very diligent right now about checking since the mirrors aren't adjusted correctly but am concerned that I will get complacent over time. I'm considering a small parabolic mirror attached to the actual mirror but I hate that. May make a service appointment to see if they can adjust them further out.

I'm 6', not that tall.

After I took delivery and was about to drive off I was adjusting my mirrors and I couldn't get the drivers side mirror to go out far enough. I actually though something was wrong and called a tech over to take a look but they said it was ok. I did manage to get it to a decent position after some fiddling but wish it would go out a bit further. I'm on the taller side side at 6' 1" so that may be a factor.

Is the OP talking about the mirror itself or the folding housing?

Sounds like your talking about the mirror itself. Did you check that the housing properly folded out all the way?

I’ve never had to manually override position on any car. Not even close. Yes, I know how to adjust mirror.

Is the OP talking about the mirror itself or the folding housing?

Sounds like your talking about the mirror itself. Did you check that the housing properly folded out all the way?

I’ve never had to manually override position on any car. Not even close. Yes, I know how to adjust mirror.
The mirror itself, not the housing (which is folded out properly)

I’ve only had to manually adjust a mirror twice, both times when the mirror itself was bumped.

Try playing with the up/down setting. There is only a narrow range in the middle where you can then angle the mirror all the way out. I'm only 5' 10", but I had to lower the mirror a bit more than I initially wanted to get it angled out enough. Seems pretty good now (at least given the somewhat small overall mirror size).

Reactions: evannole
Depends on how you want to set the mirrors. Toe be sure we're talking about the same thing, here's a Car & Driver article on proper mirror settings to reduce blindspots. Most people adjust the mirrors to see the side of the car. If you want to eliminate blind spots, that's no-no.
I am trying to adjust the according to the article but am unable to on the driver's side because the mirror will not rotate out far enough.

I purchased a blind spot mirror today and will mount it on the mirror for the time being.