Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advanced TSLA Options Trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been up front saying that I must have failed in the implementation, both as reflection and warning I suppose. :frown:

I disagree with your wording that you failed in implementation. No need to put such words next to your learning attempts. Everyone trading options makes wrong calls from time to time, people just do not talk about their wrong calls but they happily brag about their successes.

I have been trying similar strategies with leaps as you described. I do not wish to buy more stock as that makes my already unbalanced portfolio even more unbalanced.

Imo first few years of trading in options can be written off as a learning experience. I set a budget dedicated to such learning. Wrong judgement calls are inevitable part of any learning, like a feedback loop. My options bets are relatively small compared to my portfolio, to minimize ouch factor. But there are small ouch ouch here, all dully paid by the author. There were few 'Whoooas' last night as well.:smile:

Last edited:
There was a lot of discussion here at the time about LEAPS as replacement, the rolling strategy and such. The late March price was a decent drop off the ATH and the feeling seemed to be that it was then undervalued and we'd be moving up slowly over time, so the J15 options made sense even if it was just to roll them 3-5 months later. Folks were talking about the J15 300s at that time, which seemed a reach to me, but my understanding was the high strike let you get maximum leverage and you were going to roll them so you got back a lot of the time value later. What I didn't really grasp was the high strike level and the impact of IV changes on that time value.

The IV drop killed a lot of the time value. TSLA's IV had ran high for a long time before hitting the lull in the last few months. And clearly late March didn't end up being anywhere near the bottom of the drop. Given what I thought I understood at the time, I thought I'd made a purchase that was reasonable.

I've been up front saying that I must have failed in the implementation, both as reflection and warning I suppose. It's a bit of rubbing salt in the wound to take that reflection and add "The big question though is how you weren't able to see that..." :frown:
In RETROSPECT everything obvious. Don't beat yourself up about your investment. If I followed Dave's advise I wouldn't have bought 2014 leaps with a strike of 50 that cost 1.50. Stock clearly not over valued then not able to meet targets in 2012. Price was in high 20s. I would only be upset if you didn't understand the investment and risk or if you used margin or over extended yourself. Learn your lesions and move on. There are many different strategies and I urge you to be flexible. For instance at times I may buy options or sell. Probably about the time you bought your options I sold calls 2016 with strike of 440. Got 11 dollars and would be smiling if they are called away. If stock dropping can buy back (had dropped to about 5) or hold to expiration. I only included this as an example. I am not urging you to do this. Options are not for all personalities and require a lot of practice and frequent monitoring

I think I'm just frustrated at the decision-making process when people here were buying deep OTM options/LEAPs during the LEAPs as stock replacement talk here a while back.
Yea, I'm not a fan at this instant either :) and I appreciate the feedback. I've read a ton of the stuff you've written here (even if my actions do a poor job of reflecting it) and I figured it must have sounded different in my head than yours.

I failed to do enough research. Unfortunately, I don't think I was self-aware enough at the time to realize what knowledge I lacked so I'm not sure looking back in time that I could have made all that much better of a choice.

The tool is there and, while clearly dangerous, I could have done better using it. There are certainly LEAPS where the premium looks like a pretty good deal. If I look right now, I can pick up J16 $125s for about a $7 premium. So almost 2x the leverage and it seems a pretty good bet I'd more than make up the premium by then. That's why I said I failed in my implementation.

Yea, I'm not a fan at this instant either :).

I failed to do enough research. Unfortunately, I don't think I was self-aware enough at the time to realize what knowledge I lacked so I'm not sure looking back in time that I could have made all that much better of a choice.

There are certainly LEAPS where the premium looks like a pretty good deal. If I look right now, I can pick up J16 $125s for about a $7 premium. So almost 2x the leverage and it seems a pretty good bet I'd more than make up the premium by then. That's why I said I failed in my implementation. The tool is there and, while clearly dangerous, I could have done better using it.

Yeah, the reason I disliked the LEAPs as stock replacement plan discussion a while back was because I think it violated a lot of basic principles. First, deep OTM options are highly leveraged instruments and the cost of high leverage is going to be shrinking time value. So, in order to use highly leveraged instruments, it's important to be confidence that your rewards are going to significantly (in a major way) be greater than the shrinking time value and more importantly, the risk of having your options expire worthless. That's why I said if you're buying 300 strike Jan15 options at the end of March, then in order to make the risks worth it you need to be confident the stock is going to $350-400. Second, with deep OTM options (including LEAPs) it's really dangerous to buy when the stock is trading in it's mid-high range (ie., $220 at end of March). I guess this is more personal perspective of how you evaluate and analyze TSLA market cap range, but if you buy at $220 at end of March and it's in it's mid-high range then the chances are even if it's keeps in it's mid-high range then it might end the year at $250-300 or so IMO. So in order to get to $300-350 then it has go to into a very high range. And to get to $350+ (which is needed to make it worth it), it has to get into a super-high trading range. And so in order for the decision to work out the stock has to move to a super-high trading range, which while is possible is very unlikely.

To me timing is the most important factor in purchasing LEAPs. The best time to buy LEAPs is when the stock is in a low/bargain trading zone (ie., $120-150 end of last year), and to give enough time/cushion for the stock to make the dramatic rise you're expecting. So, if you're expecting a conservative $300 price target by Jan16, then when the stock is at $130 one can buy $200 Jan16 LEAPs. Since you're confident TSLA will be at $300 by Jan16, then you're super confident it will be at least $220 (ie., break-even) at Jan16. And the chances of your options expiring worthless are quite low, as long as you're correct on your belief that the company's long-term story hasn't changed and your future projections are solid.

Another thing is I don't mind people making random decisions on their short-term trades, since usually the feedback loop is quick (ie., they're lose money quickly and stop doing what they're doing). But when people start trading their long-term positions in TSLA (which I'm assuming is a significant amount, but I might be wrong) into OTM leveraged options at what I think is not the right time and poor risk/reward profile, then for some reason it's frustrating. But maybe I shouldn't think about it and just focus on what I can control.

There was a lot of discussion here at the time about LEAPS as replacement, the rolling strategy and such. The late March price was a decent drop off the ATH and the feeling seemed to be that it was then undervalued and we'd be moving up slowly over time, so the J15 options made sense even if it was just to roll them 3-5 months later. Folks were talking about the J15 300s at that time, which seemed a reach to me, but my understanding was the high strike let you get maximum leverage and you were going to roll them so you got back a lot of the time value later. What I didn't really grasp was the high strike level and the impact of IV changes on that time value.

The IV drop killed a lot of the time value. TSLA's IV had ran high for a long time before hitting the lull in the last few months. And clearly late March didn't end up being anywhere near the bottom of the drop. Given what I thought I understood at the time, I thought I'd made a purchase that was reasonable.

I've been up front saying that I must have failed in the implementation, both as reflection and warning I suppose. It's a bit of rubbing salt in the wound to take that reflection and add "The big question though is how you weren't able to see that..." :frown:

I got into options about one year ago, .. studied the behavior of options in a play-account (most brokers has that option, and it is very helpful) you may buy several options, and have a look at their behavior over time. I still use my play-account.
I still have my core TSLA stock, but after my initial buying, I found the stocks to be too expensive! Then I went into options, instead of buying stocks. I bought the strikes with the less premium, and fair price, and always found that the strike about half of the todays price, had little premium and good delta. Delta has been about 70-90%. In my case I could buy 2 options (for 200 stocks), for close to the price of 100 stocks, and still gain up to 1,8 of the stocks gain, when the stock was going up. The Jan 16, 125 strike has a price of today at 130, premium only 5. I have bought both "safe options" as I mentioned, but also more risky ones. Over time the deep in the money (half price), has given more than just stock.

This post may be transferred to the options tread :)

Y
To me timing is the most important factor in purchasing LEAPs. The best time to buy LEAPs is when the stock is in a low/bargain trading zone (ie., $120-150 end of last year), and to give enough time/cushion for the stock to make the dramatic rise you're expecting.
This is the one that typically kills me, bad timing. A lack of patience has been a good part of it. Still, times like right now are very hard for me to peg. We're nearing the ATH, but we're also seeing analyst increases and significant events coming with the X later. Is the stock high value now? Mid-value? Doesn't seem likely to be low value right now, but if there's no real dip between now and the next steady rise, I guess it was.

I've read a ton of the stuff you've written here (even if my actions do a poor job of reflecting it) and I figured it must have sounded different in my head than yours.

Yeah it was my bad. In my head what I meant to say or what I was thinking was "If you made an investment mistake (which all of us do at times) it's important to go back and try to find out what you might be overlooking or not seeing when you were going through the decision-making process. And once you found out what you were overlooking (or not seeing), then to find out what was the cause of that overlooking was. That way you can learn from your mistakes and fix/improve on the root causes, and this will improve your investment decisions." But I guess in the heat of the moment it came out differently. Sorry again.

Dave, So to continue on the discussion, especially as it pertains to LEAPS vs. stock. You would not be buying LEAPS at this point because we are in the mid-high range unless they were DITM to take advantage of the increased leverage they may have over buying more stock? Also, it appears you would do a LEAPS replace stock in a non taxable account when you feel valuation is very low....Otherwise you would never sell your stock to buy LEAPS?

Thanks......... This may need a new thread or be moved to the 'Dave thread'

Dave, So to continue on the discussion, especially as it pertains to LEAPS vs. stock. You would not be buying LEAPS at this point because we are in the mid-high range unless they were DITM to take advantage of the increased leverage they may have over buying more stock?

Yeah, since we're in mid-high range (IMHO) I don't look at it as a good opportunity to buy a new long-term position (stocks or LEAPs). However, I do look at it as a good opportunity to keep holding a long-term position since a growth stock can keep trading in a mid-high range for many years. So if one sells at a mid-high range thinking they can accumulate more later, they might not get a chance. Even if the stock gets to a super-high range, I still think it's a good opportunity to keep holding a long-term position that you already have, since there would be tax consequences to selling your position and in the longer term future the stock is likely to be much higher. In a tax-deferred account, everything changes since taxes are deferred so I think it makes sense if you have ambition and know how to discern a super-high range, then you could convert a part of all position to cash and wait for a correction. The difficult part is when to buy back again since a correction will likely bring it back to a mid-high range but probably not a low-mid range.

Regarding DITM, I personally wouldn't be buying deep ITM options as a long-term stock replacement during a mid-high range. I don't like the risk/reward profile. I'd much rather be buying stock or LEAPs (of any kind) during a low-mid range.

It all comes down to these principles... buy stock when the company is undervalued (low-mid range or lower) and avoid getting sucked into the hype and enthusiasm (mid-high and super high ranges). Options (even DITM) are leveraged instruments, so the buying opportunity needs to be even better than if/when you bought stocks. In other words, buy LEAPs when the value of the company is even lower than the low-mid range (or lower) price you would have invested stock at.

This is the main reason I didn't agree with people selling their long-term stock positions for LEAPs several months ago when the stock was $220-250 range. I felt like at that time the stock was at a super high trading zone. Enthusiasm is the highest during the super high trading range and the stock looks so sexy (believe me I know), and I understand the appeal of buying or even trying to keep the same number of shares but with less cash via LEAPs. But with LEAPs you're taking on a much more risk asset (although with less cash than stock), which at the right trading range (ie., near super low) can have a great risk/reward profile. But a super-high trading range, the chances are you'll get burned.

Also, it appears you would do a LEAPS replace stock in a non taxable account when you feel valuation is very low....Otherwise you would never sell your stock to buy LEAPS?

I think there are a lot of factors involved. But in a tax-deferred account, if I'm confident in the long-term story of the company and it's trading close to a super low range, then I have no problems selling stock and going all LEAPs, preferably 1.5-2 years out. I also think it's could be okay to start buying LEAPs at a low-mid range but in the lower half of the low-mid range, depending on our goals.

In a taxable account, it's much more complicated because each person's tax rate is different and that affects decisions in a rather profound way when things are all calculated in a spreadsheet. Generally, the lower your taxes are (ie., if you're at 15% long-term capital gains tax and/or lower income tax brackets), then it could make sense to follow something closer to the tax-deferred account strategy I laid out above, but with some adjustments of course (you'd need lower risk and greater reward in order to sell stocks and switch to LEAPs since you'll be needing to pay taxes. So you'd probably want to buy LEAPs as it approaches the super low range. (Note: my personal super low range is quite low and I don't expect it to get there because the bargain investors will sweep it up before, that's why I say "as it approaches the super low range".)

Now on another question, it gets quite complicated when new investors come along and say, "is it a good time to buy some TSLA?" Generally, if the trading range is low-mid, then it usually is a good time to make a long-term investment. But if the stock is at a mid-high range, it's tough because if you make a long-term investment then it could go a lot lower but if you don't make an investment the stock could trade at a mid-high range for quite a few years to come and you miss out. So, in this case if the stock is already at a mid-high range and person really wants to get in with TSLA, I think I'd probably recommend more of a short-mid term position, perhaps with a smaller position, maybe ITM options, maybe stop-loss (although controversial), etc. There's no perfect approach here but I wouldn't disagree too heavily with a person wanting to take a small/modest position if they understand the risks involved. It's just that I'd much rather it was a low-mid trading range, and the person bought a large long-term position. That's a much better risk/reward profile.

Now on another question, it gets quite complicated when new investors come along and say, "is it a good time to buy some TSLA?"

I'm always wary when people ask me if they should buy TSLA, which I get a lot since I've done so well on it. I generally never recommend anyone to do anything stock related, because my risk profile is different than theirs, and I don't know when they'll need the money, I can't control when/if they sell, etc., and I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's decisions (or losses, or gains) but my own. I suppose that loosens a little on here, since we're all here for the same reasons and so there's a bit of an understanding there, but yeah, that's a tough question to answer.

So, this is how I approach it with my long-term investments (short-term trading is vastly more complicated):

Super high range - hold stock
Mid-high range - hold stock
Low-mid range - buy stock. if approaches super low range, buy LEAPs (preferably 1.5-2 years out)
Super low range - buy LEAPs (preferably 1.5-2 years out)

This would apply for a taxable account. In a tax-deferred account, things are vastly different because taxes are deferred. In a tax-deferred account, I would consider the following:

Super high range - hold stock (if range goes over super-high range, then start selling stock to raise cash for correction)
Mid-high range - hold stock and LEAPs (if LEAPs purchased in low range and still has around 1 year left. if less than 1 year left, convert to stock.)
Low-mid range - buy stock. if approaches super low range, buy LEAPs (preferably 1.5-2 years out)
Super low range - sell stock, buy all LEAPs (preferably 1.5-2 years out)

But again, there's a lot of assumptions here. First, the long-term story of the company remains unchanged and has super growth potential. Second, one's price forecasts are accurate.

Regarding price forecast, for the super low range I calculate what a bargain investor like Warren Buffet would pay for Tesla in a time when the long-term story is in tact but the sentiment has turned extremely poor. This is the super low range and I don't expect it to enter this range for long because deep-pocketed bargain investors will sweep up the stock at this price. This is why I was able to recommend buying TSLA so strongly sub $135 last November since it was approaching super low trading range but the long-term story was in tact (I strongly believed they would overcome the fire issues).

For the super high range I calculate at what point will lots of institutions sell their TSLA holdings because the stock price is too high to justify (ie., the multiple of future projected potential earnings is just way too high for new institutional buyers to come in). In other words, the super high range is when TSLA doesn't make sense in terms of the multiples that investors are giving. Oftentimes, this multiple is roughly about double that of what the bargain investor would pay for potential earnings. I use "potential earnings" as the profit the company would have if they stopped invested and that money was turned into profit instead. Take that profit number 1-2 years out or so (that's what is visible to most investors) and figure a bargain investor would give 15-20x multiple, while the enthusiastic investor (hyped up) will give 35-40x multiple. This establishes the super low range and the super high range. Then, you can fill out the low-mid and the mid-high ranges from that.

Anyway, I probably need to go on in more detail for all this to make sense since there's a lot of numbers involved. But I think my point is that I believe that you can actually calculate the trading ranges investors are willing to give (albeit it takes a lot of numbers/calculations/etc), and those ranges can help make investment decisions.

@Dave - I think you should put your last few posts in this thread in yours also. That is where info for the deep thoughts by DaveT

I was also thinking how nice it would be if you put your whole series on your blog page under your profile here. I have been busy and your thread gets so much activity I have to dig for your series articles. (Hint: lots of people enjoy your deep thoughts)

So, this is how I approach it with my long-term investments (short-term trading is vastly more complicated):

This would apply for a taxable account. In a tax-deferred account, things are vastly different because taxes are deferred. In a tax-deferred account, I would consider the following:

Super high range - hold stock (if range goes over super-high range, then start selling stock to raise cash for correction)
Mid-high range - hold stock and LEAPs (if LEAPs purchased in low range and still has around 1 year left. if less than 1 year left, convert to stock.)
Super low range - sell stock, buy all LEAPs (preferably 1.5-2 years out)

So I'm in the situation bolded above - tax deferred account. DITM J15 150's bought when TSLA dipped to 120 last fall.
I concur that TSLA is trading in the mid-high range currently but am planning on holding since I feel the odds are strongly in favor of TSLA making a new ATH between now and J15.

So naturally I am curious why your investment approach would prefer conversion to stock in this scenario(?)

Thanks

I'm always wary when people ask me if they should buy TSLA, which I get a lot since I've done so well on it. I generally never recommend anyone to do anything stock related, because my risk profile is different than theirs, and I don't know when they'll need the money, I can't control when/if they sell, etc., and I don't want to be responsible for anyone else's decisions (or losses, or gains) but my own. I suppose that loosens a little on here, since we're all here for the same reasons and so there's a bit of an understanding there, but yeah, that's a tough question to answer.

Yeah, I generally agree but I think it can be helpful to give a model/system of principles that people can follow that can help them make better decisions. But in my experience, most people just want to know what to buy and don't want to spend the time/energy to learn principles. An example was yesterday I had dinner with an old college friend, and we talked a lot about investing but I didn't mention Tesla at all. Zero. He has no idea I know anything about the company or stock. He wanted to know what I was invested in and I wouldn't tell him. Rather, I just shared/talked about investing principles because I felt that would be more helpful to him.

Well thanks for the great responses and info on this all around I think this really helps with investing in general, not just Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I generally agree but I think it can be helpful to give a model/system of principles that people can follow that can help them make better decisions. But in my experience, most people just want to know what to buy and don't want to spend the time/energy to learn principles. An example was yesterday I had dinner with an old college friend, and we talked a lot about investing but I didn't mention Tesla at all. Zero. He has no idea I know anything about the company or stock. He wanted to know what I was invested in and I wouldn't tell him. Rather, I just shared/talked about investing principles because I felt that would be more helpful to him.

Coming from someone who up until a couple years ago had never touched stocks and had no clue where to start, principles alone didn't really do it for me. I got a bunch of actual stock recommendations for a bunch of safe plays to kinda help get my feet wet. Stuff that wasn't likely to go anywhere crazy but also not die in a fire. Those recommendations gave me the confidence to take the plunge. If anyone doesn't understand that there are no guarantees in investing and there is always risk of loss no matter how good something seems isn't ready to invest in the first place... But most people have also heard the horror stories and don't want to feel like they are just throwing money away too.

I also feel blessed to have found a couple great resources in helping with research in Tesla that I can't say I got or get with any other company. It is really hard to get this much insight into a company and even if you do it takes a ton of time to just focus on the one. The rest of the companies I traded in the past had far less detail and insight about them. It really almost seems unfair the amount of support one can get on Tesla.

So I'm in the situation bolded above - tax deferred account. DITM J15 150's bought when TSLA dipped to 120 last fall.
I concur that TSLA is trading in the mid-high range currently but am planning on holding since I feel the odds are strongly in favor of TSLA making a new ATH between now and J15.

So naturally I am curious why your investment approach would prefer conversion to stock in this scenario(?)

Thanks

So the general principle is in the mid-high range, you want to be fully invested but you don't want to take too much risk with long-dated options because the risk of loss is higher and reward lower than when the stock was in the low-mid range. Most people would probably be best off just owning stock and long-dated LEAPs that were purchased in the lower low-mid range and have at least 1 year left to expiration. The reason being is if you have LEAPs that are less than a year, then it becomes more of a shorter term play. In your case with Jan15, you have 5 months left until expiration. So it's really a short-term option now and no longer a LEAP. And the value of your Jan15 position will dramatically rise or fall based on the rise/fall of the stock (ie., if stock goes under $200, it'll drop a lot and if goes to $300 it will rise a lot). And since it's in a tax-deferred account you could roll out your position without tax consequences. So, in your case if you're ambitious and wanting to play the short-term stock movement (over the next 4-5 months), then you're free to keep you Jan15s. And I wouldn't necessarily argue with you since I also agree there's a very good chance/likelihood that we break ATHs in the next couple months. I would just advise that you recognize it as a shorter term play. (Note: Roughly 30% of my TSLA position is Jan15 options purchased at various points in May-Nov 2013 in the lower low-mid range or super-low range, but since they now only have 5 months left I consider them a short-term play and not a long-term investment and I recognize the risks of such investment. If I didn't have tax consequences I would have rolled all my Jan15 out to Jan16 in the lower half of the low-mid range back in Nov-Dec last year, and probably would have converted a significant portion of my stock to Jan16 at that time as well.)

If you're not wanting to play the short-term movements as much, you could also roll out your Jan15 150 strike options to something like Jan16 170 strike options (or a bit higher strike to be a bit more ambitious but I'd advise against OTM since we're in the mid-high range). And you could also just convert them to stock (something I would definitely suggest if we reach super-high trading range). You could also do something where you convert some to Jan16 170 strike LEAPs and convert some to stock. This would lower your risk (and reward) a bit but keep you fully invested with stock and some long-dated (over a year) ITM options.

But overall, the investment model I shared is more geared toward the long-term investor with a large (in terms of % of portfolio) invested in TSLA and is looking for 1) lower risk than a more aggressive shorter term investor, but is also looking for 2) greater returns than holding just stock.

I did the exact same last fall, except didn't have a tax deferred account then. So my strategy is to execute at the expiration. This means I'll own the stock without having to report a gain on my 2015 tax.

The reason I bought these at the time was that I had just lost a ton of money on Dec '13 $180 strike calls. I was sure that TSLA would hit $200 by end of 2013 but the fires threw the wrench. I didn't have much cash at hand so decided to go leaps instead, versus buying the stock outright, for leverage. I'm glad I did, because come Jan '15 I'll buy a ton of stocks at $150, while TSLA will hopefully be at the $300 level. And, my cost base will be $150 + $35 premium and I will be taxed at the cheaper long term gains rate if I do decide to sell them (versus short term rate if I were to sell the leaps and buy the stock from the proceeds).

I have some Jan 15 $200 calls I bought last November and are now up 300%. I've been debating if it makes sense to sell and take some profits now while moving some up to higher 2016 strikes on any pullback. But also wanted to hold on for a couple more months so the profit can be considered long term capital gains. These were intended to be LEAPS (and of course no longer are) but waiting till November makes it only 2 months till expiry and therefore more risky. I'm confident TSLA be up in the next couple of weeks but not sure about any pull backs from now till November. Would hate to hold it till November only to see its value decrease.

Any ideas on what might be the best strategy? I've considered selling covered calls to create a risk free spread but have heard that that restarts the timer on the calls for long term capital gains. That true?

I usually don't let taxes drive my trade decisions, but this is one case in which I think it does (can?) make a significant difference

Thanks!