Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice: 2018 Model 3 with EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!

You ask have been awesome in giving great advice so fast in what to look out for.

I found a 2018 early VIN long range RWD red model 3 with 19" wheels, EAP, and 13k miles for $41k and wanted to see if this is a good deal or not.

What are your thoughts? What should I look out for? Do early 2018's get any FSD HW3 upgrade for free?

Thanks again for all your help and support!

Thanks! Why no because of those? I don't need AWD where I live, but did you say no to that because there are better long range RWD deals or because you just prefer AWD yourself?

And other than panel gaps and HW3 what other big differences were there between new and old 3's? This car is in the 19k VIN range. Also is there any way to tell if it will get the HW3 upgrade for free or if not, how much it's going to be?

Thanks!

In my opinion, the prices of the used model 3 have not come down enough, especially the 2018s. You could buy a new 2019 LR for about 46 now with the federal rebate. A new 2019 costs ~50 - 7.5k (prior rebate) = 42.5. I think somewhere around 37k or less would be a deal. But again, that's just my opinion. I think in a few months the prices will be more realistic -- as none are really selling for that price right now.

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm and T-Will
In my opinion, the prices of the used model 3 have not come down enough, especially the 2018s. You could buy a new 2019 LR for about 46 now with the federal rebate. A new 2019 costs ~50 - 7.5k (prior rebate) = 42.5. I think somewhere around 37k or less would be a deal. But again, that's just my opinion. I think in a few months the prices will be more realistic -- as none are really selling for that price right now.

Just to be clear, you're saying if you bought a 2019 with the old $7500 rebate right? The rebate is currently $3750 and that's if you take delivery before the end of the month. That puts the LR RWD at about $41,650.

Also the model I quoted has EAP, which is another $6k. I'm still trying to figure out how to tell if the previous owner (dealer is selling the trade-in) bought the FSD upgrade or not. Is there an easy way to see that in the menus?

"Early VIN" and "RWD" are enough for me to say no.

That's pretty silly, the early VIN cars (sub 10k) had excellent build quality as they were building them slow.

15-50k vins were a shitshow since that was when they started to try and get to 2500/wk and then 5k.. lots of growing pains in those vins.

LR RWD is the most efficient of all models and gets the best range.

Reactions: T-Will
Just to be clear, you're saying if you bought a 2019 with the old $7500 rebate right? The rebate is currently $3750 and that's if you take delivery before the end of the month. That puts the LR RWD at about $41,650.

Also the model I quoted has EAP, which is another $6k. I'm still trying to figure out how to tell if the previous owner (dealer is selling the trade-in) bought the FSD upgrade or not. Is there an easy way to see that in the menus?

I have no idea how YOU a purchaser would be able to tell if the car has FSD on it... but the person with access to the Tesla account for the car would see that it has FSD attached to it (I can see it with mine).

You might want to try to find out for sure why the car is there. Just like any used car, you kind of want to know that. I would think you especially want to know that with new cars that have been traded in within their first year of ownership. Could be nothing.. could be... many things.

Ask the person selling you the car to show you a screenshot of the features attached to the car. If it has "just" EAP, there will be no free upgrade to hardware 3 if thats important to you... even though current EAP has all CURRENT available autonomous features.

I believe all cars now come with autopilot at no cost? The full self-driving feature costs 6k. If the prior owner bought the FSD -- that might change my mind. I'm still not yet sold on the FSD thing yet considering an update has to occur and a new/way more powerful chip is in development (not a free update when it comes out in ~ a year).

Let me revise it: 2019 new cost 49,900 - 3750 = 46150. This doesn't include 19-inch wheels/red -- though not sure if your dead set on bigger wheels and/or color. If you are -- it is a better deal for you. I personally would prefer the 18-inch wheels. Way more options to choose from for replacement. I will need new tires on my car soon and none of the tires I want come in the size I need.

If you got some time, this and other 2018's will be 2 years old in a few months and the depreciation hit should be much more.

Good luck with your browsing/future purchase! They are pretty amazing cars and I know it's hard to be patient once you drive one.

Thanks so much! I even talked to Tesla today and they said that only the owner can see service history and features, so I'll be sure to ask the dealer.

It's definitely hard to not want a Tesla after a drive, MAN these things are the best cars ever!!

To be honest EAP/FSD weren't even important to me, until I took a trip in a Tesla and realized how much I enjoyed it haha! The different color and rims are nice but not essential. Guess I'm just too busy being excited about having one now is all.