Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice/Feedback on Charger Install Plans?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice and/or feedback on installing my charger. Just looking for comments, feedback etc, as to whether it all looks sensible. Thank you!

Subpanel Plan.png
Charger Plan.png

If you really want feedback, what you should do is apply for an electrical permit for the work and then submit your plans, ask the electrical inspector if it is up to code.

You look like you have done all the calculations, etc.

You should get a vaccum and clean up all the dust in that sub-panel.

Not sure, but the 6/2 Romex may be limited to 50 amps. If that is the case you could just use the the 6 AWG and run surface conduit from the box to the wall charger. That way you would eliminate the two splice points and would have a 60 amp. The conduit running up the wall from wall charger does not look bad, could always paint it if you wanted.

If it is a one car garage, you may think about placing charger on the side wall so it would be across from the car's charge port when you pull in. Just to make it easier on cord management. If it is a 2 car garage then it looks like you have the best spot already.

BTW, I'm not an electrician. Just some thoughts. Good luck.

Comments you may not want to hear, but here goes:

1. Verify that the aluminum cable you are re-terminating to the 100A breaker in the garage panel is #2 AWG or larger, and that you know how to clean, apply NoaLox lube and terminate the AL conductors properly. It looks like a SER cable from the picture. Verify that there is no N-G bond in this panel (which look like is the case, but you never know)
2. Garages have higher ambient temperature, so you probably need to derate the conductors for high temperatures. If the insulation on your EVSE feeder is 90 degree C rated, you can use the 90 degree C ampacity to get a break on the % derating required. If you use Romex, you cannot use this temperature de-rating trick. THHN in EMT the best solution as the previous comenter made. Plunge it into the wall above the panel and patch the wall. Maintain vapor barrier and fire rating, if applicable.

Comments you may not want to hear, but here goes:

1. Verify that the aluminum cable you are re-terminating to the 100A breaker in the garage panel is #2 AWG or larger, and that you know how to clean, apply NoaLox lube and terminate the AL conductors properly. It looks like a SER cable from the picture. Verify that there is no N-G bond in this panel (which look like is the case, but you never know)
2. Garages have higher ambient temperature, so you probably need to derate the conductors for high temperatures. If the insulation on your EVSE feeder is 90 degree C rated, you can use the 90 degree C ampacity to get a break on the % derating required. If you use Romex, you cannot use this temperature de-rating trick. THHN in EMT the best solution as the previous comenter made. Plunge it into the wall above the panel and patch the wall. Maintain vapor barrier and fire rating, if applicable.

Thank you, that is very helpful! I didn't think it was aluminum cable, but I will check. It is coming from a 90 amp breaker in the main panel.

I will check the N-G bond in the subpanel.

I am working through the 2017 NEC (code in NM) and I'll read up on the temperature derating.

Thank you!