Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on a solar quote in MN.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnSnowNW

Feb 13, 2015
Minnesota
Tesla doesn't offer install services here, so I've been looking at other installers in the area. Today I got my first initial quote for a system, and was just wondering if anyone with experience could comment on the numbers. Here's the proposal:

Panels: 89 Q-Cell 360
Inverter: Enphase 7+
Size: 32,040 (W DC)

Expected Production: 36,000 kWh

Cost (without rebates): $135k

This a bigger system than I initially anticipated, and will still only cover 79% of our energy use. We have good sun exposure, but I'd say 1/3 of the panels are located on the side of the house that is less efficient than the others. The quote does not include battery storage. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has advice. Much appreciated!

Tesla doesn't offer install services here, so I've been looking at other installers in the area. Today I got my first initial quote for a system, and was just wondering if anyone with experience could comment on the numbers. Here's the proposal:

Panels: 89 Q-Cell 360
Inverter: Enphase 7+
Size: 32,040 (W DC)

Expected Production: 36,000 kWh

Cost (without rebates): $135k

This a bigger system than I initially anticipated, and will still only cover 79% of our energy use. We have good sun exposure, but I'd say 1/3 of the panels are located on the side of the house that is less efficient than the others. The quote does not include battery storage. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has advice. Much appreciated!

IMHO that's a tad high for such a large system. If I were installing a 32kW system it would be ~$76k. Unless there were unusual circumstances. We recently completed a 35.64kW job for $84,700. It produced 58,000kWh in the first year.

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
IMHO that's a tad high for such a large system. If I were installing a 32kW system it would be ~$76k. Unless there were unusual circumstances. We recently completed a 35.64kW job for $84,700. It produced 58,000kWh in the first year.

Thanks, no this is pretty typical I would think. Our roof is multi-tiered, but no crazy angles or anything. I'm surprised to hear you would be quoting almost half the amount...does that include the 26% federal rebate?

Thanks for the input, and if you have any advice when trying to negotiate I'm all ears!

Thanks, no this is pretty typical I would think. Our roof is multi-tiered, but no crazy angles or anything. I'm surprised to hear you would be quoting almost half the amount...does that include the 26% federal rebate?

Thanks for the input, and if you have any advice when trying to negotiate I'm all ears!

That does not include the federal rebate.

Your best path is probably to get more quotes and emphasize that you're looking for a more affordable install. Micro inverters tend to be ~$0.30/w more than a string inverter. If wall space taken by a string inverter isn't important to you that's ~$10k right there.

That does not include the federal rebate.

Your best path is probably to get more quotes and emphasize that you're looking for a more affordable install. Micro inverters tend to be ~$0.30/w more than a string inverter. If wall space taken by a string inverter isn't important to you that's ~$10k right there.

I would say we are more keen to go the microinverter route. Let's say that we're comfortable with covering 50% of our needs, thus reducing the panel amount. Do you feel this is worth considering, or would it be better to try to maximize our usage?

And, thanks again for the response.

I would say we are more keen to go the microinverter route. Let's say that we're comfortable with covering 50% of our needs, thus reducing the panel amount. Do you feel this is worth considering, or would it be better to try to maximize our usage?

And, thanks again for the response.
What in the world are you powering that needs that much and you say it does not cover 100%?

What in the world are you powering that needs that much and you say it does not cover 100%?

Good question. We bought an 8200 sq. ft. house 10 months ago that is essentially powered almost entirely by natural gas...I'm not sure how we're using this much electricity either. We have all LED lighting, but we also have 7 refrigerators (5 are small beverage fridges), two BEVs, 300 gallon saltwater aquarium, multiple televisions, etc...

Since we're converting our gas furnaces and A/Cs to heat pumps, we're going to be using even more electricity.

Reactions: h2ofun
Good question. We bought an 8200 sq. ft. house 10 months ago that is essentially powered almost entirely by natural gas...I'm not sure how we're using this much electricity either. We have all LED lighting, but we also have 7 refrigerators (5 are small beverage fridges), two BEVs, 300 gallon saltwater aquarium, multiple televisions, etc...

Since we're converting our gas furnaces and A/Cs to heat pumps, we're going to be using even more electricity.
If it were me, I would be taking my watt meter and start recording on each outlet what is going on. YES, going to heat pumps uses a LOT more electricity

Just updating as we've gotten another quote from a different installer.

Panels: 49 REC400AA
Inverter: Enphase 8+
Size: 19.6kW

Expected usage coverage 45%

Cost: $62k (before rebate)

So, the design needs to be tweaked, because the initial panel placement was based on aerial photos and also a misunderstanding of bedroom location. Many of the panels that are currently on the least efficient side of the house can be moved to the front of the house to maximize solar energy. Thus, I believe without adding any panels we can get over the 50% threshold. I also think we can add a few more panels in key locations without increasing the cost much.

Anyway, this is obviously a smaller system, but it's also a much better value. We're going to investigate our current high energy usage, as everyone from electricians to solar installers believes our energy use is irregular.

I've basically given the go ahead on this installation if we can incorporate the tweaks. So, I just wanted to post an update and thank those that have chimed in. Thanks!

Uhhhhhh ....

You said:
7 refrigerators (5 are small beverage fridges), two BEVs, 300 gallon saltwater aquarium

All large users of electricity, and those fridges can be particularly inefficient. I mean, the market for efficient beverage fridges is pretty low. If you want efficiency, you don't have beverage fridges.

I agree with h20fun, check consumption of those appliances. When a fridges isn't working right, it absolutely sucks energy, especially if it's in a warm environment.

British YouTuber EVMan once talked about how he has an aquarium and it's one of the larger electricity users in his house.

• Informative