Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on emergencies in France

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to drive through France in two days time. What should I do in case of a minor emergency such as a a flat tyre? Do I phone through to Tesla main office or do I request service through the app? I also have the AA European cover. Should I go to them first? What would you do?

What would you do?

I have Winter and Summer tyres (on separate rims), on long trips like across France I take one "other season" wheel just in case (on the assumption that the local tyre place might not have a right-sized tyre in stock, so at least I could "get going" with some assistance). I have a can of gunge to re-inflate a tyre, and I have AA (or similar) European cover. I presume I would call them first, and Tesla second, but hadn't really thought about it until now.

I keep meaning to get a puncture "plug" kit, but have never got around to it. (Some issues with the acoustic lining in tyres, but also people saying they have used them just fine on acoustic-lined tyres

By the by, I got a UK sticker at Folkstone (at the AA shop). But I couldn't find one anywhere in Holyhead when we went to Ireland - you'd think the shop-at-the-port would have them (tried the local supermarkets and forecourt garages too) .... if your number plate doesn't have UK (and you can be bothered ... not sure anyone seems to cares much, although in an accident it might become an issue ...) I've now bought a couple, one for next time, and left it in the first aid bag in the car.

Pretty sure when I bought my stick-on-plate recently they were still offering "GB in left margin" ones, in addition to UK ones. Dunno why ...

EDIT: Just read the link, upthread, about requirements for France. Looks like the UK-on-number-plate is not a large enough font - although a bit ambiguous, because the point being made is about UK-stick-ons specifically for the number plate ("Though they are legal in France to have on their own they are not in Spain, Malta or Cyprus. They insist on a full sized one even if you have a UK number plate sticker")

Last edited:
These threads are old and/or USA-centric, but may be some use ...

Tyre sealant. If that fails or there are other issues then it’s time to call the breakdown cover.
Most Teslas are running acoustic tyres with a layer of foam that, I am led to believe, prevents tyre sealant from working. You may also learn a few French swear words from the tyre repair shop that subsequently tries (or refuses) to fix it.

Most Teslas are running acoustic tyres with a layer of foam that, I am led to believe, prevents tyre sealant from working. You may also learn a few French swear words from the tyre repair shop that subsequently tries (or refuses) to fix it.
Considering Tesla sell tyre sealant then I’m not sure this is an issue. Plus a lot of sealants are water soluble. Not really interested in carrying a spare tyre so it’s sealant or being stuck by the side of the road!