Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best Tire Inflator Help Needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have gone thru 3 portable tire inflators so far and all three have failed in less than a year.
I keep a portable one in my Frunk but I use it often for several vehicles so they do get used
but they don't really seem to last very long when used.

So I am now trying to find a more durable one that is not necessarily portable. Something I can
keep in the garage for more routine use and keep the portable one in the frunk for emergency use.

I would like one with a digital readout and that will stop pumping when it reaches its target psi.
If you know of a good one that fits that criteria please chime in.

Thanks

Same here. I went through two cheap < $40 air inflators. I finally bit the bullet and bought this DeWalt. It's freaking amazing, has the option of battery or 12V, auto-stop at desired psi, and fills the tire up lickety split (even use it for my wife's truck with much larger tires). Only issue is it's pricey but it's totally worth it since I had a few of their other tools. It's $99 at most locations.

It's portable, but I use a Viair 85P in my Model 3 and it works great. I have an 88P in my other vehicle (which clamps onto the 12v battery directly rather than through the 12v socket like the 85P) and have had it for 8 years and it's still going strong. My 85P is only a year old, but no problems so far. It has a pressure gauge that seems pretty accurate, but I always over-inflate and then use a separate pressure gauge to bleed down to the exact pressure I'm looking for. For that, I use a Longacre 52-52003. It's not digital, but I prefer the analog aspect and not having to worry about batteries. Just make sure you bleed out the pressure it retains in it after you're done with your tires.

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Thanks freeAgent, my last one was also a Viair 85P. That lasted 6 months for me, so not having the luck you did with it.
I do use it often but after that one failed I decided to look something a bit more heavy duty. The nozzle hose developed a leak at the root on my Viair 85P. So it still works but not properly. As the pressure builds in the tire it leaks more at the base of the hose.

Thanks freeAgent, my last one was also a Viair 85P. That lasted 6 months for me, so not having the luck you did with it.
I do use it often but after that one failed I decided to look something a bit more heavy duty. The nozzle hose developed a leak at the root on my Viair 85P. So it still works but not properly. As the pressure builds in the tire it leaks more at the base of the hose.
Hmm, that's disappointing, but good to know. In fact, I just used my 85P this past weekend and it was still doing great.

Im still using my viair 85p as well, but am interested in a home / portable solution as well, so have been eyeing this thread with some interest. From the recommendation that @jmaddr gave, I started looking for that dewalt unit because it looks like exactly what I might want for "good home but also portable" solution that would allow me to set the pressure.

Unfortunately, not only does it not seem to be readily available at my home debot / lowes etc, it also appears to be marked up on amazon. I also dont have the dewalt chargers already (I have a ryobi similar thing). I like dewalt better than ryobi so dont mind buying into their battery solution, but also found that the dewalt one does not come with the cord for plugging in, at least in the reviews I saw.

I would like the same thing the OP asks for in this thread (thanks for starting it, @Tez~La ) so I guess I will keep an eye out and see if anyone has any other suggestions.

the dewalt one does not come with the cord for plugging in
Correct. It only comes with a 12V cord. It does not come with a 120v cord though it’s a standard two prong cord.
Home Depot has them online but it looks like the price has gone up to 129 without battery. They have options with battery and charger too but dang those are expensive. You can go buy a hammer drill tool right now at my local with battery for less than that markup.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I posted a similar question in October of 2020. For those of you who are interested, here is a link to the post and all the replies:

In the post, someone recommended this Ryobi tire inflator. I ended up buying it and I love it. I highly recommend it. And I just checked it on the Home Depot website. It is currently on sale. Normally it is $105 (this includes the tool, a battery, and a charger) and it is on sale today for $79:
RYOBI

ONE+ 18V Lithium-Ion Cordless Dual Function Inflator/Deflator with 1.5 Ah Battery and 18V Charger​

Same here. I went through two cheap < $40 air inflators. I finally bit the bullet and bought this DeWalt. It's freaking amazing, has the option of battery or 12V, auto-stop at desired psi, and fills the tire up lickety split (even use it for my wife's truck with much larger tires). Only issue is it's pricey but it's totally worth it since I had a few of their other tools. It's $99 at most locations.

I was about to link this same model! I have one and it’s excellent. And it uses the same batteries as all my other DeWalt stuff too. Even got a case for it and it lives in my trunk.

Tim

Reactions: jjrandorin
I posted a similar question in October of 2020. For those of you who are interested, here is a link to the post and all the replies:

In the post, someone recommended this Ryobi tire inflator. I ended up buying it and I love it. I highly recommend it. And I just checked it on the Home Depot website. It is currently on sale. Normally it is $105 (this includes the tool, a battery, and a charger) and it is on sale today for $79:
RYOBI

ONE+ 18V Lithium-Ion Cordless Dual Function Inflator/Deflator with 1.5 Ah Battery and 18V Charger​

I was about to link this same model! I have one and it’s excellent. And it uses the same batteries as all my other DeWalt stuff too. Even got a case for it and it lives in my trunk.

Tim

Thank you both for your feedback. I ordered one of these, but the one that comes with the 2.0 amp battery instead of the 1.5 amp. I usually fill my wifes tires and mine at the same time, so figured a bigger battery might be better for me. I use my viaair portable for that now, but will use this instead.

RYOBI

Tim

Tagging you two here again to say thanks for this recommendation. As I mentioned, I ordered one and it came in on friday. I really like it! The only thing that would be even a little bit better would be if it supported a regular plug in wall connection vs only battery, but it works well, seems to be accurate (measured separately with a separate digital tire gauge I have) and is simple to operate.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with this, was super helpful. I also would recommend this product as long as one is ok with it being battery powered and not plugged into a standard outlet.

Tim
I watched the Project Farm review video and another one and, despite the high price, I opted for the DeWalt. The pressure sensor looked accurate, looks well-built, and has a few power options -I think it should have come with the A/C cord though instead of that being another separate purchase.

Edit: also is there some type of quick-release attachment ("air chuck"??) anyone here can recommend that I could use with the DeWalt? Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: TBrownTX
have this one over a year on model 3. small footprint and digital gauge has been accurate with respect to the on screen psi...

7119nNVJ-HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: UoMDeacon

Tim
Bought the DeWalt also, and it works like a charm. My wife and I, both over-60s, found it a breeze to use. Bought a battery and charger as well as the tool. Expensive but worth it.

RYOBI

Not sure how I missed this thread, but I'll third this inflator. I use it all around the house - tires, pool floats, air mattresses, basketballs, etc. All sorts of random stuff.

I also have a different Ryobi inflator - this one: RYOBI ONE+ 18V Lithium-Ion Cordless High Pressure Inflator with Digital Gauge (Tool Only) P737D ... it also works great, and sometimes is even easier than the dual function one. Connect, squeeze the trigger, done. Mine is off by 3 PSI, but it's consistent, so not a problem. So if I want the tires at 45psi, I inflate to 48 on the digital gauge. Easy cheesy.

Picked it up on a Black Friday special for less than $20. (w/o battery) For the price, can't be beat. I know Ryobi isn't a top shelf brand, but for the average Harry Homeowner like me, their versatility can't be beat. Literally hundreds of tools that run on the same batteries. Some of my Ryobis go back far enough that they're blue in color, and originally came with NiCad batteries. Those have long since been recycled, but I haven't lost one lithium battery yet. Must have at least a half dozen of them, maybe more. Enough that this guy will be on my Father's Day list this year: RYOBI ONE+ 18V 6-Port Dual Chemistry IntelliPort SUPERCHARGER with USB Port and 2.0 Ah Battery P135K1