Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Ham Radio Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MD500_Pilot

I fly because it releases my mind.....
Supporting Member
Hello Everyone -

I just took delivery of my second Model S and I have decided to purchase this one instead of leasing it, so I am now looking to permanently install my DMR ham radio (Anytone AT-D578 Tri-Band). The problem is that this radio does not have a detachable front face so the entire radio needs to be mounted and the front visible from in the cockpit.

I am hoping someone here has already done all the hard work about figuring out how to install the radio and tri-band antenna in such a way as to not compromise the looks of my new S.

As a bonus question, does anyone know of someone in the San Diego or Phoenix area that does these types of installs on Teslas specifically? I know there are a lot of radio shops out there but I would really like to stick with someone with reputable Tesla experience.

Thanks!

Sorry that I do not have the answers to the questions that you are asking, but I took delivery of a new Model 3 on June 14, 2022, and am pondering installation of the Yaesu FTM-400XDR retained from my previous commuter ride. The issue with that rig is that it has a detached, remote-control head that is not designed to connect to the radio body. That and a speaker will need to end up in the cockpit of the Model 3 with appropriate ergonomics. The dash is a bit spartan in the Model 3 in comparing it to the Model S, so there seem to be more feasible real estate options in the Model 3 cockpit. I will put a post in the Model 3 section when I do this, with pictures as I am able to get them. If you find a shop and move forward, would you please share pictures of what has been achieved?

Thanks and 73,

KG4Y

Sorry that I do not have the answers to the questions that you are asking, but I took delivery of a new Model 3 on June 14, 2022, and am pondering installation of the Yaesu FTM-400XDR retained from my previous commuter ride. The issue with that rig is that it has a detached, remote-control head that is not designed to connect to the radio body. That and a speaker will need to end up in the cockpit of the Model 3 with appropriate ergonomics. The dash is a bit spartan in the Model 3 in comparing it to the Model S, so there seem to be more feasible real estate options in the Model 3 cockpit. I will put a post in the Model 3 section when I do this, with pictures as I am able to get them. If you find a shop and move forward, would you please share pictures of what has been achieved?

Thanks and 73,

KG4Y
Lobos -

You bet, I am currently getting some great information on the r/amateurradio subreddit I am on, you might want to pop over and take a read. Several folks with Model #s on there with ham gear! I'll keep you up to date when I figure out how to do this!

73 - KF6MCD