Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on third-party warranty for 2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all, was hoping to get some advice from others who may be in the same boat. I have a 2018 Model 3, a relatively early model (VIN 8XXX). I believe it’s one of the first 10K produced. Delivered March 2018, so we’re coming up on 4 years in March, and that’s when the warranty expires.

I am really nervous about not getting a third-party warranty, and have looked at X-Care, although I‘m curious if there are other third-party warranties worth considering.

The cost is high at over $3K for X-Care for 4 years, and many have said in these forums that it’s not worth the cost. But I’m concerned considering the history of service requests and repairs for early M3’s like. Mine. We’ve had a lot of small and some large things repaired. Here’s what I remember off the top of my head:

- The entire roof glass had to be replaced early on for a crack caused by a manufacturing defect.
- One component in the main computer needed to be replaced (can’t remember which one) early on
- We’ve had constant issues with the Bluetooth sensor not recognizing phones, and the last Tesla tech after a hard reset has mentioned it may need to be replaced. We have consistent issues with the car not locking upon exit.
- Several exterior components are starting to have issues. The side camera covers are both starting to fall off.
- There is a recall on the trunk and camera, which I have no idea if it will be covered if the vehicle is out of warranty.

These are the few things I remember off hand, but we’ve had other small repairs.

I love this car and may keep it for a long time, so again, I’m concerned that if there are more repairs like this, the cost of these components and labor could be risky down the road. Then again, $1K per year on a warranty isn’t nominal, so curious what others think, specifically those with early M3s. Thanks.

I dont know what the cost and deductibles are for these warranties, however, since the battery and motors are warrantied for 8 years 120k miles, its going to be a lot of these type things that have the potential to cost you money.

My personal opinion is, why not put that 4k in a savings account, called "car repairs" and hold onto it yourself? Use that to pay for any needed repairs.

recall stuff would be covered by the manufacturer, so you wouldn't have to worry about that. anything cosmetic would likely not be covered by a warranty - if severe enough, that would go the auto insurance route (like collision work).

I also have a 2018 Model 3 and have XCare on it until 2027. Having had older Model S's and working for Tesla, things I am worried about is daughterboards, onboard charger, window or seat motors (which tend to be weirdly expensive), suspension issues, HVAC problems, touchscreen issues (we didnt see yellowing and adhesive issues on Model S until years down the line), etc. Historically speaking, cost of repair has not included battery/drive unit because most still has the factory warranty - its been the small things that add up over time. You could always keep money aside, but I would rather have the peace of mind (like any other insurance product I have in my life). I also intend on selling my car privately (if I ever do) and would want to transfer to new owner - should help on resale.

I have a few friends with Model 3s that are out of warranty, and everytime they go in for service, they usually spend about $1k, and one had HVAC problems which was way more than that. I prefer not to roll the dice...

I dont know what the cost and deductibles are for these warranties, however, since the battery and motors are warrantied for 8 years 120k miles, its going to be a lot of these type things that have the potential to cost you money.

My personal opinion is, why not put that 4k in a savings account, called "car repairs" and hold onto it yourself? Use that to pay for any needed repairs.

Would be interesting to see the average cost of repairs past warranty vs $4k plus whatever returns you get via high yield or ETF of I-Bonds or mutal funds, or even better, buy $4k in Tesla stock.

anyone that has to use X-Care, care to comment? That is the biggest issue for me after warranty, since price is set by Tesla, no real third party can fix and make many items.

I would also love to hear about x-care experiences. @EarlyM3Owner I generally side with you here, even though I haven’t worked for tesla, I’ve heard very similar stories from others and given the track record on my early M3, I’m also concerned about high-cost repairs.

@jjrandorin yeah, I’ve seen others mention the idea of putting aside that money and letting it grow over time, but we’ll see what turns out to be the right move here. I have no idea yet.

I would also love to hear about x-care experiences. @EarlyM3Owner I generally side with you here, even though I haven’t worked for tesla, I’ve heard very similar stories from others and given the track record on my early M3, I’m also concerned about high-cost repairs.

@jjrandorin yeah, I’ve seen others mention the idea of putting aside that money and letting it grow over time, but we’ll see what turns out to be the right move here. I have no idea yet.

There have been quite of people post their experiences on this thread - I think a search would be easy.

The XCare team (which are all owners and former Tesla employees) are pretty active on this forum.

@X-Care EV - any links to customer experience that you can share on this thread?

There have been quite of people post their experiences on this thread - I think a search would be easy.

The XCare team (which are all owners and former Tesla employees) are pretty active on this forum.

@X-Care EV - any links to customer experience that you can share on this thread?

Happy to help, or send info to Auto Warranty Options - X-Care by Xcelerate Auto for a no hassle quote and info! Brent @ XCare

Or you could do like many of us have and use the current high value of used cars to your benefit and sell your 3 and upgrade to another. I sold our '18 M3LR which had around 36k miles on it for 47k on 12/23. New car to be delivered 1/27-1/30. For me in CO which still has a $2500 rebate the upgrade will be $4k out of pocket including tax. Heck I made money selling the car when you consider what I paid in '18 after rebates which were 10k at the time.

I know Tesla has no extended warranty for the 3 (dumb imho) and I've seen X-Care and Car-Shield mentioned out here. My question is do any of you actually have an after-market extended warranty and any particular recommendations? Cars are the one product where I have historically purchased an extended warranty. They can be hit or miss re: whether they are "worth" the money but for me it's more peace of mind around not having significant out-of-pocket costs after the purchase. So not looking for a debate on whether they are worth it (although that's a really good debate!) and just wondering around experience and/or recommendations. Thx all as always!

I know Tesla has no extended warranty for the 3 (dumb imho) and I've seen X-Care and Car-Shield mentioned out here. My question is do any of you actually have an after-market extended warranty and any particular recommendations? Cars are the one product where I have historically purchased an extended warranty. They can be hit or miss re: whether they are "worth" the money but for me it's more peace of mind around not having significant out-of-pocket costs after the purchase. So not looking for a debate on whether they are worth it (although that's a really good debate!) and just wondering around experience and/or recommendations. Thx all as always!

I have XCare on my Model S, and my Model 3. It has always paid out on my Model S. I have also referred a few friends in the Tesla club that I am associated with, and everyone has nothing but good things to say. The entire team that runs it are former Tesla employees, and know how to navigate around Tesla Service.

Reactions: DiyEvRepair