Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice on Wall Connector install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is your goal in doing this? I don't feel like playing in the safety margin of the load calculation is a great idea and as you mentioned, looking at the hourly stat on a website is extremely crude.

The fact is that having a hot tub on a 100A main breaker eats up all your headroom. Google for "hot tub 100a breaker" and you will see a lot of people feel like having a hot tub on 100A service is pretty much on the edge. Now add in the fact that you have an electric dryer. And now you want to further add continuous EV charging on top of that.

Let's say 50A for the hot tub and 30A for the dryer. That leaves just 20A for the rest of the house. A hair dryer or microwave would probably blow you past the limit. How realistic is it to add EV charging in on top of that?

I'm thinking this is obviously a no go. Use a splitvolt or upgrade to 200A service.
FWIW the dryer says it is 24 amps max and the hot tub is on a 40a breaker. I'm going to keep digging, somehow I suspect it's going to be fine with the wall connector dialed back. I would be fine even running it at the 20a or even 15a setting, still way better that a 120v plug for my needs but rental guests may not be too happy.

FWIW the dryer says it is 24 amps max and the hot tub is on a 40a breaker. I'm going to keep digging, somehow I suspect it's going to be fine with the wall connector dialed back. I would be fine even running it at the 20a or even 15a setting, still way better that a 120v plug for my needs but rental guests may not be too happy.
If that's true, that makes a big difference and you may be able to squeeze the EV charging in there. Personally, I think even the lowest 240V speeds are still quite good for daily usage.

Reactions: SunnylandY
According to the Rocky Mountain Power smart meter the highest consumption reported over any one hour period last winter was 11.74 kwh. It only got over 10kwh during a few one hour periods and the average for the winter months was less than 4kwh per hour. Of course there could have been higher bursts within those one hour periods but I'm feeling better that 24a/6kw for the wall connector on top of that won't break the bank. IDK if the 80% rule should apply to the 100a main breaker but it looks like it would even be within that.
Next time I'm there I'm going to experiment with turning everything on for a couple hours (even a couple kitchen small electrics and hair dryers) and see what the smart meter reports.