Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice please: Purchasing 75D from Carmax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

First post, and please forgive me if many of these questions have been answered. Ive searched the forums for answers to my questions, as ive been a lurker for years.

A little background...the transmission in my current vehicle is dying so I need to purchase a new vehicle, so I decided to make the leap into the electric vehicle world. I found a 2017 75D 1-owner vehicle at carmax with 40,000 miles, no accidents on the record. Car is clean, non-smoker vehicle. Car is a 12/17 build.

1. Anything I should look for? Ive checked the windows, checked for leaks, door handles all work, however, the headlights have yellowing around the halo so i will ask to have that repaired.
2. Carmax replaced all tires
3. Currently has EAP, but Ive read that it could possibly be removed by Tesla, which isnt a big deal to me.
4. The vehicle has the standard 19" wheels in silver, and i would like to change the color to what ive seen on other model S vehicles (pics enclosed). Were these wheels an upgraded option, or are they powder coated sonic silver?
5. The car still has a little bit of the warranty left, since it's a December build correct? If so, what else should i get checked/replaced while still under warranty.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Sonic Carbon.jpeg
    Sonic Carbon.jpeg
    685.8 KB · Views: 196
  • 2018-Tesla-Model-X-75D-matt-campbell-suv-blue-1001x565-(1).jpeg
    2018-Tesla-Model-X-75D-matt-campbell-suv-blue-1001x565-(1).jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 104
Thank you Tam. No bubbles on either. This is how both lights look at night. In speaking with the manager, he said this is something that should be taken up with Tesla if I decide to purchase the vehicle. Am I asking too much to have this taken care of by Carmax, or should i just purchase the vehicle and make an appt. with Tesla. I know these lights are ridiculously expensive.
20210911_200059.jpg

Check the 2 displays for any defects such as bubbles...
I’ve never seen or heard of a facelift car with screen bubbles. Yellow ring on the other hand…

There’s not a ton more to “check” other than what the rated range is at 100%. 75D was 259 miles when new, anything North of 230 or so should be considered decent these days.

The sonic carbon wheels came out after 2017. They’re painted.

Thank you Tam. No bubbles on either. This is how both lights look at night. In speaking with the manager, he said this is something that should be taken up with Tesla if I decide to purchase the vehicle. Am I asking too much to have this taken care of by Carmax, or should i just purchase the vehicle and make an appt. with Tesla. I know these lights are ridiculously expensive. View attachment 708487
The lights are $1200 apiece. They are covered under the remaining factory warranty so you’ll want to get them fixed ASAP. I strongly doubt CarMax is gonna do this for you.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
Thank you for the reply. The battery at 100% had 248 miles of range when i checked it this morning.
All of the door handles work well. Anyway to check if they were ever replaced? The car also has air suspension, it's working well - i tried all settings.

Thank you for the reply. The battery at 100% had 248 miles of range when i checked it this morning.
All of the door handles work well. Anyway to check if they were ever replaced? The car also has air suspension, it's working well - i tried all settings.
248 is great.

No obvious ways to see externally RE door handles. That said, replacements are much cheaper than they used to be, down in the $300 range now, so I wouldn’t worry much about that.

The car still has a little bit of the warranty left, since it's a December build correct? If so, what else should i get checked/replaced while still under warranty.
You mentioned that the car is still under the original warranty based upon age, but I do not think I've seen anything stated for the mileage on the vehicle. Warranty is for 4 years or 50,000 miles, so make sure you've confirmed both. Also, this may be difficult for Carmax to confirm for you, but the 4 years is from when the vehicle was first delivered to the original purchaser. For a December 2017 build there is a good chance that was before the end of December given how much Tesla was pushing to deliver every vehicle possible before year end, but it's always possible it could be in January 2018 in which case that might buy you a few more weeks, again presuming you've not exceeded the mileage limit. Probably the only way to confirm that is with Tesla service after you're the new owner. They do not tend to release any information on vehicle history other than to the current owner.

Reactions: theothertom
Thats a gret point. Thank you for that. Ill check the carfax to see if there's a delivery date on there. Also, the car has 43,000 miles.
*edit* I just checked the carfax and the car was delivered on 1/8/2018.

Last edited: