Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice please. WTB Model 3 SR+ for 30K

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
Yes, this is my first post, so I recognize that I might be inviting a mountain of scorn for asking this question, but I've exhausted googled resources, and I need to improve my understanding. Also, I *think* this is the most appropriate forum for this question, but I could be wrong. I read the forum rules, etc., and I think I have it right, so here it goes:

I'm a school teacher. I'm probably not in the demographic that can normally afford a Tesla, but I've been saving like crazy for a while now, and I'm getting within "striking distance." I've determined that I can, at a stretch, combining savings and financing, afford about $30K, and my hope is to find a Model 3, Standard Range Plus with some sort of Autopilot within that range. I can see that a brand new one from Tesla runs $37,990 with Autopilot, so I've been looking around assuming that a 2019 or 2018 should be somewhere lower than that. (Hopefully around 30K.) However, it appears that used Model 3's are priced above retail, which I could understand if Tesla weren't still taking orders, but I've been scratching my head at that.

I find a lot of "Branded Title" M3's in my state (Utah) for 28K-32K, but from what I've read, I don't want to touch those with a ten-foot pole, as Tesla may have locked them out of the Supercharger network. I feel like I'm missing something. Did used M3's really appreciate in value, or is an unadorned SR+ just a really rare bird? I'd love to be educated if anyone can take the time. Thank you!

The used car values are a bit unconventional and that's the very reason I will buy new. I started a thread about this recently. It seems the only used vehicles that are decently discounted are the salvage titles or ones with very high mileage relative to the year (e.g., 2018 Model 3 with 55,000+ miles) and even then we're talking only a few thousand less than MSRP. If you're able to save longer I would opt for that path but if it's truly a matter of nickles and dimes I completely understand.

Tesla Model 3 Used Car Values

Reactions: Iceh8r
A new Tesla Model 3 SR+ actually starts at $39,190 ($37,990 + $1,200 destination/doc). Many of the M3s you are looking at may also have FSD which adds, when buying new today, another $8k to the price. They may have extra cost paint, interior, wheels and/or aftermarket items as well.

You are going to have better luck finding an older Model S at your price point but those cars are going to be out of warranty, except maybe battery and drive unit, unless you get an extended warranty.

You could also consider leasing a new M3 but my advice would be to hold off and continue to save until you can more easily afford one you want. It's not really worth "stretching" to afford.

Reactions: ra88it
This is great info. Thank you for taking the time!
clark_kent: Am I correct that all branded titles are barred from the supercharger network? I think I probably will just end up saving longer. Good advice.
CapeOne: I didn't know about the destination/doc fee. Do those also apply to "current stock" if you pick them up in person (I live about 100 miles from Vegas)? Is in-person pickup even an option?
MJP.P3D-: I'm pretty sure the SR (non "+") is still available, but looking at the differences between that and the SR +, I think it would be worth it to continue saving and pay for the SR +.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond. This is immensely helpful. Fingers crossed, I'll get there!

CapeOne: I didn't know about the destination/doc fee. Do those also apply to "current stock" if you pick them up in person (I live about 100 miles from Vegas)? Is in-person pickup even an option?

$1,200 is part of the price whether it's a custom order or inventory car, whether picked up at the Tesla store in Fremont, CA or the Tesla store across the country in Boston, MA.

Tesla does discount demo/inventory cars especially at month or quarter end periods. I would suggest you contact a Tesla sales associate as they have access to additional inventory cars not posted online, some of which may be available at a discount. Not down to $30k but a discount.

This is great info. Thank you for taking the time!
clark_kent: Am I correct that all branded titles are barred from the supercharger network? I think I probably will just end up saving longer. Good advice.
MJP.P3D-: I'm pretty sure the SR (non "+") is still available, but looking at the differences between that and the SR +, I think it would be worth it to continue saving and pay for the SR +.
Thanks again for taking the time to respond. This is immensely helpful. Fingers crossed, I'll get there!
That is correct. Below is a link to the Tesla Legal webpage. Under the section titled, "Unsupported or Salvaged Vehicle Policy", it explicitly states when a vehicle is classified as a salvaged vehicle Supercharging is permanently disabled.

Privacy & Legal | Tesla

Hi everyone,
Yes, this is my first post, so I recognize that I might be inviting a mountain of scorn for asking this question, but I've exhausted googled resources, and I need to improve my understanding. Also, I *think* this is the most appropriate forum for this question, but I could be wrong. I read the forum rules, etc., and I think I have it right, so here it goes:

I'm a school teacher. I'm probably not in the demographic that can normally afford a Tesla, but I've been saving like crazy for a while now, and I'm getting within "striking distance." I've determined that I can, at a stretch, combining savings and financing, afford about $30K, and my hope is to find a Model 3, Standard Range Plus with some sort of Autopilot within that range. I can see that a brand new one from Tesla runs $37,990 with Autopilot, so I've been looking around assuming that a 2019 or 2018 should be somewhere lower than that. (Hopefully around 30K.) However, it appears that used Model 3's are priced above retail, which I could understand if Tesla weren't still taking orders, but I've been scratching my head at that.

I find a lot of "Branded Title" M3's in my state (Utah) for 28K-32K, but from what I've read, I don't want to touch those with a ten-foot pole, as Tesla may have locked them out of the Supercharger network. I feel like I'm missing something. Did used M3's really appreciate in value, or is an unadorned SR+ just a really rare bird? I'd love to be educated if anyone can take the time. Thank you!

Do not go for branded titles at all. Not worth the risk or headache, and avoid 3rd party dealerships as well.

Reactions: IdaX and Clark_Kent
Do not go for branded titles at all. Not worth the risk or headache, and avoid 3rd party dealerships as well.
While I understand someone may pop into this thread detailing their wonderful experience with a salvage title, I agree with you. I would never consider a salvage title on one of these cars unless it were free. I also agree with your position on third party dealerships.

Reactions: Iceh8r
As a datapoint to the OP, trade in (as of July 1st) for TM3 SR (no autopilot) with 7k miles is $27,500. It dropped 2k since Feb 29th. I think finding a clean title car with AP with a budget of under 30k is going to be tight (if not impossible). SR+ would really have to have some high miles on it to even get close to low-30s.

If it's really a stretch I'd suggest waiting. Tesla's are great but I wouldn't want one if it changes future financial goals. Better to have an emergency fund, contribute to a full Roth IRA and 401k which would set you up much nicer and get the 3 when you have non stretch disposable income. I would suspect in 1-2 years they should be well under $30k, maybe even mid 20s.

The used prices have also not adjusted to the current pricing and people have less incentive to sell their current cars at a large loss esp since most owners love their 3. For example a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD was $50k minumum (49k+$1k doc), and the only way to get autopilot was EAP which was $5k. Add in taxes and fees in CA and it came out to $60k+. There was a federal tax credit available for those who qualified but that would still bring the price to around $52k. Current used LR 3 EAP seem to go for $36-42k. If someone owned for 24 months that's still around a $415-670 monthly loss which isn't all that great when you hear about how the 3 "holds it's value incredibly well!"

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it
To achieve your goal you will probably have to go private party and be extremely flexible and patient. They do occasionally go for that price, but they don't last very long. There are probably some number of people that plan to trade their 3 in on a Y and it might more sense to sell it to you instead of trade it in.

SAY NO TO SALVAGE or REBUILT titles. Even if super charging works at that moment it likely won't down the road, and probably at the worst possible time.

I know this is a Tesla Forum and you are shopping for a Tesla, but if you are flexible on that point and don't plan to take loads of long trips take a look at the Bolt. I have friends who have bought the Bolt brand new for $25k and at that price, it is a heck of a deal. It isn't a Model 3, but my wife drives one and loves it. With Electrify America you can take it on most road trips, it isn't as nice as Supercharger network nor does it charge as fast, but if it is occasional long trip usage only, then you might find it makes sense.

Or just take your time and monitor the sites. Especially https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/index.php

Reactions: EV-CPO