Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice/Recommendations First Time Owner Used Model S P100D 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All! I have always wanted a Tesla and finally my wife and I made the splurge! We can't afford a new one but I got a 2016 Model S P100D. We pulled the trigger because this one happened to be the 7 seater model! It is fully loaded [Tech/Subzero/Sound/etc].

It has about 95k miles on it but from what I have read it seems they average about 10% loss over 100k and about 15% loss arout 200k miles. With the 100 I am not too worried but I would love any and all advice, recommendations etc.
For example, it is only coming with one key fob. How do I get another and what is the cost?
For charging, what should I get to keep in the car as far as converters for non-tesla chargers?
It has the MCU1 and I was wondering about recommendation on MCU 2 upgrade and what that might cost and if you all think it is worth it.
Also, tire replacements! Do I need to go through Tesla directly when I eventually need new tires? They are the upgraded 21 inch ones. What will that end up setting me back in general and are there any recommendations regarding other brands?
Servicing wise...obviously no more oil changes THANK GOD, but is there some routine maintenance you all recommend doing?
Packages wise, I am still not really sure of a good breakdown on what EXACTLY each package had for a 2016 Model S P100D [manufactured 8/16].
And are there any other recommendations you all might have regarding "must haves" for the car or to keep in the car. And after market stuff like floor mats or anything else!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230812_122220_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812_122220_Chrome.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot_20230812_132205_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812_132205_Messages.jpg
    753.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20230812_132152_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812_132152_Messages.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot_20230812_132139_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812_132139_Messages.jpg
    907.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20230812_132015_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812_132015_Chrome.jpg
    402.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20230812_122628_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812_122628_Chrome.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20230812_122615_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812_122615_Chrome.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot_20230812_122549_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812_122549_Chrome.jpg
    795.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Screenshot_20230812_122516_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230812_122516_Chrome.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 84
Welcome to Tesla ownership and hope you enjoy your 2016 MS P100D. I'm guessing yours in a late 2016 as the exterior photo tends to indicate AP2 from the side markers. Mine is a mid-2016, so AP1, but similar in other ways.

Regarding MCU2 upgrade, personally I'd say yes it is worth the cost. Suggest you check out costs on Tesla's website at this address, but if your car is AP2, then I believe it's $2250 plus tax. Infotainment Upgrade | Tesla Support

Note that is without a new digital FM radio tuner, so for the $2250 price you will lose radio, but I know many who are always either using one of the streaming options or playing via Bluetooth off your phone or own media library. If you do want to add back FM/Sirius radio, then that's another $500. It is pricy for the MCU2 upgrade, but I finally decided to bit the bullet do it on mine a couple years ago and performance of MCU for navigation is sooo much better. Also, I believe this will then also give you some dashcam ability to record and see recorded videos which cameras on your car can support, but the MCU1 really couldn't.

In terms of adding another fob, you'll need to do this via Tesla service center. Newer cars have the ability for owner to pair a new fob, but I believe yours is still of a vintage where Tesla needs to do this. Also, make sure you take your current fob when you purchase the new one and I believe they need to repair both of them as a set.

In terms of charging connectors, hopefully your car came with the J1722 connector adapter. If not, that's the first one I would get. This will be level2 charging, so about 18 miles/hr or so charging speed typically. Good for overnight at hotels, but not a replacement for superchargers. You can consider the investment of the CCS charging upgrade for your car, but honestly, I'm not sure if that's worth it. There are enough Tesla superchargers, clearly way more than when I bought mine 7 years ago, that I would have never needed one. But that's a personal choice. I've not been in Lexington, KY for a few years other than just passing by, so don't have any sense of what the charging infrastructure is like there other than the original Tesla supercharger on the east side.

In terms of tires, absolutely no need to get through Tesla. Any reputable tire shop should be fine. Biggest thing I'd make certain is the shop has experience with Tesla's such that they know the correct jack points. I bought my last set at Belle Tire. Know other owners have used Costco, Discount Tire, etc.

Enjoy your car.

Upvote 0
Congrats, and I know will enjoy the car. I too recommend the MCU2 upgrade. Based on the photos of the screen you included, the center screen looks like it is leaking and needs to be replaced anyway. The MCU2 upgrade replaces both screens, so (IMHO) doing the MCU2 upgrade would be the best upgrade for the money.

Reactions: MdlSP100D'16
Upvote 0
Thank you both for the responses! This has been my drean car for years!

Yeh, the screens are definitely bubbling and the above wheel is getting that melting look--so for sure that is first priority.

So, it was mfd. 8/16. It has, unfortunately AP1 [I believe that is what the attached image shows] I believe from what I read this means I am forever limited in my upgrades correct? For example, I cannot have sentry mode? And from my understanding, even with the screen upgrades and newer software, I am still limited right?

And unfortunately, no J1722 adapter. Is there a shop you all recommend or place to get those type of Tesla accessories?
Screenshot_20230813_162732_Photo Editor.jpg

Upvote 0
Servicing wise...obviously no more oil changes THANK GOD, but is there some routine maintenance you all recommend doing?

I wouldn't say no more oil/filter changes. At close to a 100K miles, I would probably be on my 2nd oil/filter change for the front and rear drive unit. Tesla used to have that oil/filter change in their maintenance schedule, but like many auto manufacturers they decided they can look greener and make more money on out of warranty repairs by all of a sudden pretending that oil lasts forever in gearboxes. I don't by that for a second with the sheering forces of a high torque EV, and that oil still gets just as hot as a differential in an ICE car.

Upvote 0
So, it was mfd. 8/16. It has, unfortunately AP1 [I believe that is what the attached image shows] I believe from what I read this means I am forever limited in my upgrades correct? For example, I cannot have sentry mode? And from my understanding, even with the screen upgrades and newer software, I am still limited right?
Yes, manufactured 8/16 is AP1. You are correct that is what is shown on the image of the Software screen you show. You also are correct that you will not be able to have sentry mode. Now getting the MCU2 update will cause you to get more frequent software updates, but most will be bug fixes. But at least being on MCU2 I've been getting software updates about monthly the past year versus it was getting to be more like twice a year for me on MCU1. MCU2 upgrade will also bring your some streaming video capable via the center screen if that's important to you.

AP1 is quite stable for highway driving and I find it meets all my needs. Yeah, but "toy" factor of some of the latest FSD capabilities sounds fun, but from a practical standpoint, AP1 still with radar utilized is still less prone to phantom braking from everything I continue to see and hear, and I'm not ready to give up my ultrasonic sensor capability for parking in places like my garage.

As far as getting the J1722 adapter, you may be able to find them elsewhere, but personally I'd just buy it through Tesla. Not sure which service center your using based in Lexington, if that's the one in Cinci, but you may be able to pick up one from them versus just order on-line and have it shipped to you.

Enjoy your car.

Upvote 0
Ahhh that RV park point is a GREAT idea for long trips!! I already plan on getting the J1772 adapter. Is there another or different one I should get for RV park charging or is that the one you are talking about? I have debated getting a full set of winter tires. I have seen lots of people seem to do that. Where I live we get a few snows in winter that are probably 3-6 inches but aside from that mainly cold or light dustings so I wasn't sure if it'd be worth the significant expense for a full set.

Upvote 0
Ahhh that RV park point is a GREAT idea for long trips!! I already plan on getting the J1772 adapter. Is there another or different one I should get for RV park charging or is that the one you are talking about? I have debated getting a full set of winter tires. I have seen lots of people seem to do that. Where I live we get a few snows in winter that are probably 3-6 inches but aside from that mainly cold or light dustings so I wasn't sure if it'd be worth the significant expense for a full set
I think what @Krash meant by getting a set of adapters is not what goes between the charging cable and the car (like the J1722 adapter), but the plug side that goes into the electrical receptacle. The setup in the RV park might have a variety of different forms of plugs you could use. These are what you'd need to plug the Tesla UMC (or what some might call the charging cable) into the outlet.

Reactions: Krash
Upvote 0