Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero vs sport wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Premium for a 19” tire over an 18” tire is typically $30-50 ($125-200 total).

Aesthetics are the principal reason to get the Tesla 19” wheels, although that $1500 “upgrade” also includes slightly better tires that provide slightly better handling and breaking at the expense of a ~10% reduction in range. You would get the same or better handling/breaking and significantly better range with the same tires on the stock 18 “ aero wheels.

If you don’t like the look of the stock 18” wheels, take a look at the group buy thread for the lightweight forged 18” and 19” wheels. A set of those combined with a set of Michelin P4S summer tires (I see you live in Florida) will provide significantly better performance than the Tesla 19” wheels for $3000-3500, depending on whether you get the 18” or 19” version.

Group Buy Poll for Mono-Block Forged Alloy Wheels by Titan 7

Last edited:
And don't forget that the 18 aeros are just wheel covers. There are some nice dark metallic gray spoked wheels underneath and Tesla sells a wheel cap kit that makes them look like they belong that way. IMO they are wayyyy nicer looking than the 19 or 20s.

18 aero.jpg

Reactions: coleAK
so anyone done a cost comparison on replacing the tires? And a review on aesthetics and performance?

I’m debating whether the sport rims are worth the extra $1500

Thanks

If you are replacing them with the same OEM tires, the 19" tires are actually cheaper than the 18" tires (by about $10 each). I actually like the 18" rim (without aero caps) better than the 19" sport ones. The 18" looks more interesting and a nice dark gray color.. very hard to see dirt! And I am sure the 18" gives a more comfortable ride. I using the Model 3 for commute not for tracking.

And don't forget that the 18 aeros are just wheel covers. There are some nice dark metallic gray spoked wheels underneath and Tesla sells a wheel cap kit that makes them look like they belong that way. IMO they are wayyyy nicer looking than the 19 or 20s.

View attachment 339610

I just looked 8 week wait. LOL

Also the car with the stock aero wheel covers what do the lug nuts look like and the wheel cap? Anyone got pics?

Thanks

I just looked 8 week wait. LOL

Also the car with the stock aero wheel covers what do the lug nuts look like and the wheel cap? Anyone got pics?

Thanks

It is not 8 weeks. When I bought mine it said 8 weeks, they ship the next day. The 8 weeks has been there for months but they seem to ship them next day. Without the kits, there is no cap in the center if you take off the aero cover.

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks

I guess you need to order the cap and nut covers then or it looks kinda lame ;)

What color 3 do you have? or you have any pics you can share? I also see the brake calipers in that pic they dont look that attractive.

I wonder how the 19" sport rim ones look compared to this :)

Thanks

I guess you need to order the cap and nut covers then or it looks kinda lame ;)

What color 3 do you have? or you have any pics you can share? I also see the brake calipers in that pic they dont look that attractive.

I wonder how the 19" sport rim ones look compared to this :)

I have white on white model 3. I think the brake calipers are the same with either the 18" or the 19". I like the 19" too, but even if they are the same price as the 18", I will probably still pick the 18" for better efficiency and more comfort ride.

m3_tint.JPG

It is not 8 weeks. When I bought mine it said 8 weeks, they ship the next day. The 8 weeks has been there for months but they seem to ship them next day. Without the kits, there is no cap in the center if you take off the aero cover.

Can confirm this. It said 8 weeks for me as well but I received them in 3 days.

Either they are trying to dissuade purchase for some reason (e.g. limited supply available) or they need a new commerce webmaster.

You guys all buy a car from the future and want wheels that look like the past...and cost you 5% more driving energy to do it...I don't get it but I guess people do what people do...in the future, al cars will be electric...and all will have aero wheels....isn't it up to us to pave the way?

Reactions: mswlogo
You guys all buy a car from the future and want wheels that look like the past...and cost you 5% more driving energy to do it...I don't get it but I guess people do what people do...in the future, al cars will be electric...and all will have aero wheels....isn't it up to us to pave the way?
I think it is constructive to have the car look like an ICE car and make others feel comfortable with it to widen the audience. At least I feel that way here in Ohio. I thought the aero wheels looked horrible with the covers in person and so did a couple other people I know so I put installed the $50 kit myself. Electric here is cheaper. I pay around 9 cents per KWh total while others I know are under 8 cents. Even without the aeros I'm saving over $2,000 vs. the fuel costs on the car I traded in. Since the majority of my driving is on roads with a 70 MPH speed limit I will reinstall the aero covers in a couple months for the added range.

For aerodynamics I'd rather see the side mirrors removed and use the cameras instead.

Uh, I really don't agree.

I could have bought a Chevy Bolt a long time ago and I didn't because it looks like trash. The "electric cars of the future" don't have to look like trash. Hence the purchase of a Model 3.

I'd rather take a good looking forged wheel with decent brake cooling over a plastic capped "aero" wheel any day of the week.

Reactions: Need
Personally, I think if they had actually made an aero wheel, like my old I3 had, that might of looked fitting on the car, but hubcaps are as old and cheap looking as it gets. Also, they often will fly off in spirited driving. At least they always did when I was growing up. Maybe these won’t, but not sure. Mine came off before the car rolled forward at delivery. Maybe I would put them on for an especially long trip, maybe not.

I really like the look of the 18” rim, as others said. Way better looking that the ugly silver turbines IMHO. Who buys silver rims these days? I’m actually debating getting the snows w/aeros too as the price is reasonable. I’ve just never used pirelli snow tires. I’ve always ran Blizzacks.

Anyone know or have the performance brakes and the 18"aero's.I'd like my cake and eat it too!
The Performance wheels (19") look nice but I do like the look of the standard wheel w/o the aero covers on just a little bit better. Wish the performance wheels came in 18" size. for the extra milage, etc.

Anyone know or have the performance brakes and the 18"aero's.I'd like my cake and eat it too!
The Performance wheels (19") look nice but I do like the look of the standard wheel w/o the aero covers on just a little bit better. Wish the performance wheels came in 18" size. for the extra milage, etc.

The performance package wheels are 20" not 19". And the upgraded brake calipers won't fit in 18" aero wheels according to this thread:
Performance Red brakes DO NOT fit 18" aero rims