Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aero Wheel Covers - Do They Add Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate dark wheels, but I wasn't about to pay $1500 for one specific wheel *upgrade* and to be forced into 19s. I actually bought aftermarket 18" wheels to replace the 19s my golf came with. 40 series tires are fine, why do I need 35s? Plus, for $1500 you can just about get a set of wheels AND tires, I find it insane that automakers price the "upgrade" as much as a whole new 2nd set.

If I'm going to spend the money, I'd rather get a wheel I choose-- though I admit I like the look of the 19s; I MIGHT have paid a bit extra for that style in an 18.

I've got the cap kit and will probably pull the aero covers so they don't get beat up too badly by my SO, but maybe slap them on for long roadtrips.

Since you can't see your wheels when you are driving...whats all the fuss :)

Seriously, think it is great that Telsa gives us the option of more efficient Vs. better looking.

Actually you can, I believe they show up on the car graphic on your main display and no matter what aftermarket you get, the graphic will always be aero's. Unless you buy the sport wheels. Yep that's an expensive graphic! hah

I like darker rims. I'd rather go aero, and buy the 18" gloss black/space gray Tsportline forged wheels for $1200 + installation.

Really? With tires, or do the stock tires fit on those? Upgrade will defiantly require new tires too, unless the stock ones fit. If so that's an interesting option although your not really saving much? Are the those 18's lighter than the factory 18's (I haven't looked into it). From what I have seen, going to 19's + tires is certainly more than $1500, closer to $2800 for most things worth upgrading to?

I hate dark wheels, but I wasn't about to pay $1500 for one specific wheel *upgrade* and to be forced into 19s. I actually bought aftermarket 18" wheels to replace the 19s my golf came with. 40 series tires are fine, why do I need 35s? Plus, for $1500 you can just about get a set of wheels AND tires, I find it insane that automakers price the "upgrade" as much as a whole new 2nd set.

If I'm going to spend the money, I'd rather get a wheel I choose-- though I admit I like the look of the 19s; I MIGHT have paid a bit extra for that style in an 18.

I've got the cap kit and will probably pull the aero covers so they don't get beat up too badly by my SO, but maybe slap them on for long roadtrips.
I want to see what 19's with wheels and tires your looking at for around $1500. Please share.

Im with you on the looks and i got the 19 precisely for that reason.

Now I’ll be honest with everyone: I am not close to getting 310 miles of range (I won’t even speak for that 334 mile range which seems so unreal to me). Unless I drive 65 mph on the freeway I won’t get 235 watts per mile. I routinely get 260+ watts per mile doing 70 mph on the freeway.

For every 10 miles driven I probably lose on average 12 to 13 miles of range.. easy. And that’s when I go easy.
With the 18” aero wheels it is easy for me to get or exceed rated range. So I assume they do make a difference. 6200 miles and have averaged 230 Watts/mile. Mostly on Interstate (65-70).

One longer range test I did was 370 miles on one charge but much of that test was 50 mph on back roads.

Last edited:
With the 18” aero wheels it is easy for me to get or exceed rated range. So I assume they do make a difference. 6200 miles and have averaged 230 Watts/mile. One longer range test I did was 370 miles on one charge but much of that was 50 mph back roads.
How fast you drive makes a significant difference in range. More so than other other factor from my experience so far.

With the 18” aero wheels it is easy for me to get or exceed rated range. So I assume they do make a difference. 6200 miles and have averaged 230 Watts/mile. One longer range test I did was 370 miles on one charge but much of that was 50 mph back roads.

The difference in driving 65 and jumping to 75 is probably pretty significant hit for most EV's my volts range is drastically reduced above 65. And if you drop down to 55 you gain significantly more range too. Tesla's are fast but will probably get similar range benefits from slower speeds.

This seems to make allot less difference in ICE car's probably because they have many gears so it's more about RPM.

In that sense I feel EV's trying to achieve rated ranges are still slow...

Here's How Speed Impacts Range of the Tesla Model S

I expect to see significant improvements here in the near future.

For now I usually just cruise the 3 lane carpool lane at 65-68. Yep, I'm that guy... Go around if you want! I find it much more relaxing to just cruise, and I despise racers who weave in and out of traffic. On a typical day I find I get to work within about 5 minutes difference of what I used to using regular lanes (typically the fast lane) driving 80, then slowing down for light traffic and dealing with people cutting you off, merging freeways etc. On a heavy traffic day I will get there faster than people speeding in the regular lanes anyways (like today when there was an accident, I easily passed all the people that were doing 80 and passing me minutes earlier). Of course this only applies to carpool lane areas.

Last edited:
The difference in driving 65 and jumping to 75 is probably pretty significant hit for most EV's my volts range is drastically reduced above 65. And if you drop down to 55 you gain significantly more range too. Tesla's are fast but will probably get similar range benefits from slower speeds.

This seems to make allot less difference in ICE car's probably because they have many gears so it's more about RPM.

In that sense I feel EV's trying to achieve rated ranges are still slow...

Here's How Speed Impacts Range of the Tesla Model S
It's really easy for me to achieve the rated range because I am stuck in traffic so often. It is very difficult for me to average 55+ mph during my normal day to day driving.

Really? With tires, or do the stock tires fit on those? Upgrade will defiantly require new tires too, unless the stock ones fit. If so that's an interesting option although your not really saving much? Are the those 18's lighter than the factory 18's (I haven't looked into it). From what I have seen, going to 19's + tires is certainly more than $1500, closer to $2800 for most things worth upgrading to?

I prefer the 18 over the 19 anyways, and you still get to keep your 18" wheels.

Something like this also works ($1k) : EVT Wheel for Tesla Model 3 (PRE-ORDER: 18. They state that you can use the OEM tires, lug nuts, and TPMS sensors. Not a bad deal imo.

I prefer the 18 over the 19 anyways, and you still get to keep your 18" wheels.

Something like this also works ($1k) : EVT Wheel for Tesla Model 3 (PRE-ORDER: 18. They state that you can use the OEM tires, lug nuts, and TPMS sensors. Not a bad deal imo.

Those look nice, however they are heavier than the 19" and made in china (OEM probably is as well but money goes to tesla). Your not going to save much, but maybe a reasonable option for 18's on a budget. They also have a different offset, they may well reduce your range more than going to 19's due to the added weight.

I think these would be a much better bet:
The Tesla Model 3 Wheel and Tire Guide

But as you can see they are $1500 for the 19's and you have to buy tires for them if you start with 18's. $1200 for 18's though.

I like the TST Wheel 19's myself more than the factory wheels, but once I add in the cost of tires, plus the display always showing aero's I figured I skip them (they are not THAT much nicer looking to me). I Mean I could always sell the OEM 19's too I guess and get these but I probably won't hassle myself with that. I wonder how much

All of these are budget options though. A good set of wheels thats actually a significant upgrade will cost much more.

If you want to stay with 18's though, TST's are an affordable wheel without going heavier. For the price difference though, I figured I'd just go with 19's and have them come on the car.

I wonder how much the offset matters too, offset can drastically affect handling.

Last edited:
Really? With tires, or do the stock tires fit on those? Upgrade will defiantly require new tires too, unless the stock ones fit. If so that's an interesting option although your not really saving much?

Both the OEM 18s and 19s come with all seasons- so you'd need to replace the tires anyway regardless of OEM or aftermarket wheels if you want better handling, acceleration, and stopping distance.

Does anyone know if the Aeros sit flush or recessed to the wheel lip? Basically, do the Aero's help prevent curb scuff for the sloppy drivers out there?

An Aero cap would be a lot cheaper to replace than a buff and polish of a wheel I would imagine.

All I wish is that the Aero's were mirrored. The fact that they don't have a left right is really annoying to me, and I consider an oversight, but I'll still probably keep them on for that huge 4.3% haha. Depending on how easy the are to remove (which someone said is real easy) I'll remove them for my daily commute and put them on for road trips.

Does anyone know if the Aeros sit flush or recessed to the wheel lip? Basically, do the Aero's help prevent curb scuff for the sloppy drivers out there?

An Aero cap would be a lot cheaper to replace than a buff and polish of a wheel I would imagine.

All I wish is that the Aero's were mirrored. The fact that they don't have a left right is really annoying to me, and I consider an oversight, but I'll still probably keep them on for that huge 4.3% haha. Depending on how easy the are to remove (which someone said is real easy) I'll remove them for my daily commute and put them on for road trips.
Not sure I fully understand your questions but this is what the Aero wheels looks like with the rim protector.

IMG_0307_grande.jpg

Yeah not a fan of the red rim protector, and I'm pretty sure that's an aftermarket addition.

Because someone installed that rim protector on an aero I guess it answers my question... The arrows wheel caps do not protect the rim from curb scuff. Kind of a bummer.

Yeah not a fan of the red rim protector, and I'm pretty sure that's an aftermarket addition.

Because someone installed that rim protector on an aero I guess it answers my question... The arrows wheel caps do not protect the rim from curb scuff. Kind of a bummer.
This person said prolong used of the Aero covers put marks on his rims. I took them off the day I got them and only use it once on a long road trip.

I was lucky to have seen the 19" on a Model 3 in a showroom before configuring. I was disappointed. The silver is very dull and looked plasticky. Still, I was worried that seeing the aeros in person would be equally blah, but now that I've seen them on my car, I think they look better than the 19s. Works out better for me given I'm not sacrificing function for form.

Also, when I hear people getting 260Wh/mi going 70mph on the highway, I scratch my head. I rarely go over 200 going that same speed. My lifetime average is at 198Wh/mi.

My friend, who drove a 30mi round trip in my car, who I'd also consider a lead foot (even more so cause he was driving a tesla for the first time) averaged 220Wh/mi.

So something else is going on here. some motors might be more efficient than others.

Reactions: Glamisduner