Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Affordable Electric Vehicle Crossover Market Collapses -

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read this article twice, and I still do not understand the logic behind the subject premise. I can't get to their conclusion using the info they provided. Is it just me?
This is a pro-EV article but it's hard to get that because of the way it is presented.

It complains that EV production is behind the demand and it wants companies to address the production issue by increasing the number. Here's its conclusion:

"Buyer interest is not the problem for battery-electric crossovers. Those that automakers can produce are immediately sold or have months-long waiting lists. This has been true for years. For battery-electric vehicles to succeed in replacing hybrids as the green vehicle choice in America, the volume of deliveries needs to double. To begin replacing conventional crossovers in terms of deliveries, BEVs would need to increase in delivery volume by a factor of at least 10X per model. Despite the frequent press releases reported in the media about added EV capacity being built out, the country is a decade or more from the point where affordable EVs in the style Americans choose will truly be a viable option for shoppers who seem intent on making the switch."

This is a pro-EV article but it's hard to get that because of the way it is presented.

It complains that EV production is behind the demand and it wants companies to address the production issue by increasing the number. Here's its conclusion:

"Buyer interest is not the problem for battery-electric crossovers. Those that automakers can produce are immediately sold or have months-long waiting lists. This has been true for years. For battery-electric vehicles to succeed in replacing hybrids as the green vehicle choice in America, the volume of deliveries needs to double. To begin replacing conventional crossovers in terms of deliveries, BEVs would need to increase in delivery volume by a factor of at least 10X per model. Despite the frequent press releases reported in the media about added EV capacity being built out, the country is a decade or more from the point where affordable EVs in the style Americans choose will truly be a viable option for shoppers who seem intent on making the switch."
Indeed. The problem is battery supply. The manufacturers want to sell more vehicles, they just can’t get battery cells. Elon foresaw this moment in, what, 2014 when the gigafactory was being built. And he’s been banging the drum ever since. It just takes time to ramp up such a huge industry.

It is a hit piece, as pointed out by "if you are drinking the battery-electric vehicle Kool-Aid" at the beginning...
I am not good at different writing styles but this one pretends to be anti-EV in its title and words and it indeed offends EV fans but the context is clear: It wants to shock EV fans in order to beg them not to be complacent but to work harder.

I often hear a lot of complaints (mostly towards Tesla) regarding the "unaffordability" with EV's, then going on to demonize the auto manufacturers (again, mostly tesla).
I think what a lot of folks refuse to acknowledge is Tesla and other EV's have done a pretty fair job at pricing vehicles at a certain income demographic, that can best sustain EV lifestyle. Meaning, upper middle class / hopefully home owners. I suspect even if someone created a 20-25K EV, the likelihood of adoption would be low as people shopping in this price point may not have a lifestyle or preference towards EV's.

In summary, I think Tesla's on the right path bringing product to people that are willing to buy it, then letting it trickle down into the used market as infrastructure for public charging slowly builds out.
I don't know the numbers, but I'd speculate the majority of American's are buying used cars, often times as the second or third owner.

"Market collapses" is clickbait at best, a hit piece at worst. I've never heard "collapse" use to describe a market where growth in demand is vastly outpacing supply, especially when supply IS growing too, just not as quickly.

Reactions: cusetownusa
It is a hit piece, as pointed out by "if you are drinking the battery-electric vehicle Kool-Aid" at the beginning.

I think the author needs to get out of New England and come to California or Norway where you see EVs of all sorts at any random stop light.
yup that's what I was thinking J, and you beat me to it. Maybe the editor's comments reflect what's going on in his little town overseas, yet doesn't apply to what is going on elsewhere here in America.

Reactions: jboy210