Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Crack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently experienced a sudden crack that appeared on my 2023 Y for no apparent reason. I wanted to post a picture, but it’s too difficult to capture a good photo because of the angle and lighting. I’ve read several posts about other people experiencing the same thing. I hope this isn’t a common issue ! I’ve booked a repair and they are sending someone to replace the glass. I can’t see how they can do it onsite at my home, but I will leave it to them. The cost is over $1700 !! I believe wholeheartedly this is a manufacturing issue, as I can’t for the life of me see an impact point for something might have hit it. The crack begins just under the rear view mirror/camera and extends to the passenger side about 7 inches. Any help in understanding what might have caused this and do I have any hope that Tesla will stand behind their quality.

I recently experienced a sudden crack that appeared on my 2023 Y for no apparent reason. I wanted to post a picture, but it’s too difficult to capture a good photo because of the angle and lighting. I’ve read several posts about other people experiencing the same thing. I hope this isn’t a common issue ! I’ve booked a repair and they are sending someone to replace the glass. I can’t see how they can do it onsite at my home, but I will leave it to them. The cost is over $1700 !! I believe wholeheartedly this is a manufacturing issue, as I can’t for the life of me see an impact point for something might have hit it. The crack begins just under the rear view mirror/camera and extends to the passenger side about 7 inches. Any help in understanding what might have caused this and do I have any hope that Tesla will stand behind their quality.
Is Tesla replacing it? If the car is under waranty then that cost will be nothing. Its in your best interest for liability protection to take pics, difficult or not, the best way you can.

I just had similar issue today. Was wondering if Tesla replaced it for you?

Tesla replaced the windshield free of charge because they were able to verify that the damage was not caused by a stone chip. The replacement went well and I was relieved that it didn’t cost me a penny.

Reactions: zoomer0056