Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird numbers in Tesla app after Solar Panels installation.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
So last week Tesla installed panels on my roof. 13.2 kW.
Today they add my system to my app. It shows my house is taking 17.4 kW what
is impossible. My Model S at that time was taking 7 kW so the rest of the house 10 kW?!
Did they set the system correctly - the CTs?

IMG_0382.PNG

The project advisor is normally not the best source of technical support, unless they are working to re dispatch installers back out or something. in any case, when the house draw numbers are out of whack with what you expect or should have, in a new solar installation, many times its an incorrect placement or configuration of the CT(s) as you mentioned.

Sometimes Tesla can change settings remotely to configure them, and other times they might need to be moved / turned around, etc.

Reactions: bmah
The project advisor is normally not the best source of technical support, unless they are working to re dispatch installers back out or something. in any case, when the house draw numbers are out of whack with what you expect or should have, in a new solar installation, many times its an incorrect placement or configuration of the CT(s) as you mentioned.

Sometimes Tesla can change settings remotely to configure them, and other times they might need to be moved / turned around, etc.
I will contact energy support, see what they going to say and report here. Thank you.

Is the 17kw a consistent number that your house shows drawing?

In all honesty, 17kW is not abnormal for spikes or sustained for a few minutes. If you have an electric hot water heater, that's 5.5kW while heating, an electric dryer will fluctuate between 1kW and 4kW, electric stove/oven can draw 4kW, a heat pump will draw ~ 3kW+. If your car was already drawing 7Kw, than any of these could have easily added up to another 10kW.

Technicians come today, they tried flipping locations of CTs but numbers on the app still were odd.

They were on chat with higher level department, I'm not sure what they did but finally it started working. Before when solar production rised also house consumption rised. Wrong calculation on Tesla servers? Now only problem that house consumption is to low, charging Tesla with 7kW grid number is to low, assuming solar number is correct (its cloudy).
IMG_0389.PNG

What was your weather like at the time stamp time?
Are you sure car was actually charging at 7kW at that time? I have no idea if car charging is continuously flat at a charging rate or decreases as state of charge is increasing.
Any estimate what your house was using at that time.
What was the power company meter reading at the time. That meter cannot lie, the rest may still have issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grayson73
Before when solar production rised also house consumption rised. Wrong calculation on Tesla servers?
Home load going up with solar generation is usually a CT issue. In most cases, the system measures solar generation and grid import/export separately, and the home usage is derived from those two numbers (they all have to add up to 0). So if the grid CT is undercounting/zeroing out/inverting exports, it will seem as if home load is going up with solar generation.

Tesla has some ways to correct mistakes on the backend side (e.g. inverting measurements or adjusting multipliers), but a more reliable fix is an installer fix. For grid CTs, it's important that both phases are measured and the CTs are pointing in the right direction.

I have no idea if car charging is continuously flat at a charging rate or decreases as state of charge is increasing.
Car charging at L2 speeds is generally very steady, even approaching 100% SOC. It's DC chargers that have to slow down to protect the battery.

Could be. Solar at 1.3 kW and grid at 4.4kW=5.7 kW. Where is the rest coming from?
Also, he must have 2 inverters and only 1.3kW? One inverter is not registering for generation, sensor wire screwed up someplace.
Solar looks good just the numbers. First picture is with really cloudy day. Here is with sun. Still waiting for PTO so system is off now. Technician will look at it later...

Attachments

• IMG_0382.PNG
    IMG_0382.PNG
    656.1 KB · Views: 29