Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After purchase when can I start using the Tesla charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new (to me Tesla) and have provided proof of ownership, ID, and ref number from the Green Slip and they won't let me take ownership. Am waiting for the v5. Found I can supercharge (genuinely thought I had linked my card to the vehicle!) but will obviously only do it in dire emergency until I am the one paying for it.

This is the most frustrating thing about owning a Tesla. I'm sure there are much quicker ways than this to verify ownership - even a temporary, provisional ownership state that allows you the basics like charging and changing all settings on the car. At the moment, if something goes wrong I have no access to the service centre and there are settings I can't change without the PIN.
It's odd as some seem to be able to do it straight away without the V5c and some require it. The proof of ownership/invoice might need the VIN number rather than the reg as Tesla don't work on reg, or maybe the determining factor is whether the car has been released by the previous owner. It's annoying but the V5c should take less than a week to arrive, our last one was from memory 3 working days.