Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Network RFID Cards (MiFare)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I understand it, the RFID cards for Charging Infrastructure (Tritium/Kempower/ABB etc) can be any MiFare Card.

Some forum members have reported enrolling Chargefox cards on the EVIE network and vice versa. Others have reported using public transport cards (Opal or Smartrider for example) by obtaining the card serial number. The card serial number should be globally unique and hence why there is no clashes in sharing cards across networks.

What types of cards do ChargeFox and EVIE issue? Are these MiFare Standard 1k/4k? Generally the public transport cards are MiFare DESFire.

MiFare Standard normally have a 4 byte UID/Serial Number. MiFare DESFire is 7 bytes UID/SN

Do you enter this in as the card number in your ChargeFox/ EVIE app? As a hexadecimal number?

I note the cards Tesla issue are JCOP (Java Card Open Platform) and I understand these do not work. Credit Cards as also generally JCOP.

What has been your experience? Have you successfully enrolled third part MiFare Classic, Standard or DESFire Cards?

• Helpful
Reactions: gazpachopolice
I got the BP card now, it’s different to the Evie card. I just posted in the BP.

I’m no expert on the card technology, but the BP card feels like an opal card, has a longer identifier, and my phone can scan it as an NFC - unlike the Evie card.

No idea what that means, but it might help you - at least the id on the card and entered in the app is what returns as the card identifier.

So I can see why people might be able to enroll an opal card.

I had the concern about clashes - how much guarantee do the card manufacturers make about avoiding id duplication?

I got the BP card now, it’s different to the Evie card. I just posted in the BP.

I’m no expert on the card technology, but the BP card feels like an opal card, has a longer identifier, and my phone can scan it as an NFC - unlike the Evie card.

I understand your BP card has 14 hexadecimal digits (characters).

After my original post, I was looking at the MiFare app notes on UIDs/Unique Identifiers and note while the original batch of MiFare Classics had a 4 byte UID ('Single Size UID') or 8 hexadecimal characters, newer cards have a 7-byte UID ('Double Size UID') or 14 hexadecimal numbers. It looks like NXP ran out of IDs.

So your BP card may still be a MiFare Classic - just a newer one.

Last edited:

The bp pulse charge card is a MIFARE Ultralight C card (the same as the non reloadable Opal cards - eg the single trip ticket or the 'free' travel cards).
An actual Opal card is a MIFARE DESFire EV1 card.

Opal and Myki cards are DESFire, but Transport Canberra cards are MiFare Classic 1k.
You made me dig out my cards :)

NSW's Opal, SA's Metrocard, are MIFARE DESFire EV1
(NSW's non reloadable Opal cards - ie the single trip tickets and 'free' travel cards are MIFARE Ultralight C)
Victoria's Myki is MIFARE DESFire
Tasmania's GreenCard is a MIFARE Classic (EV1)
ACT's MyWay and QLD's go Card cards are MIFARE Classic (these are old though, so not sure if they've replaced them with something newer....)
And for fun, Auckland's AT HOP card is MIFARE DESFire EV1

---
My two old Oyster cards, one in the boring blue is a MIFARE Classic card, the tourist Oyster I have is a MIFARE DESFire EV1
Clipper card (San Francisco) is a MIFARE DESFire EV1, TAP card (LA) is a MIFARE Classic EV1

Last edited:
Not answering your question, but there are two free AC chargers at my local shopping centre that works with both Chargefox and Evie RFID cards 😂. It’s a bug as the charge session is not recorded in both apps. The chargers are usually empty because not many seem to have the RFID cards. Do you think a myki will work? Will put a note on PlugShare if it does 🤣 (have already noted on PlugShare that it works with either RFID cards)